Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling my Model S as soon as comes back from service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally, after almost 5 years of owning my model S, I will be selling my car after it comes back from service.
Here's why:
- The past few times the car went into service, something else broke within a week or so. I tell service and they claim it's unrelated, so here's another $1-2K of charges.

-Last year car went in for brake replacement. just 2 days later a loud pop happened while driving home from work. AC / heat doesn't work. Service takes it back, claims its completely unrelated to what they did, and it honestly it does make sense, and they fix it. The receipt of charges shows that they had switched out a few fuses that were fried - they claim it's a coincidence that it's only 2 days after service.
- 2 weeks ago, I get a service alert - related to the eMMC that has been on recall for a few years. I call and set up service.
- After service: , the center console retractable flap came back broken (service denied they had anything to do with it), and the app wasn't working properly (can remote start and turn climate on, but will not unlock the car without a key) - again, service said it was unrelated.
- Other annoyances but not critical: All the memory was wiped from the car. No Homelink, no saved wifi credentials, no driver profiles. Somehow Spotify was still logged in.
--- annoying but not a deal breaker.

- HERES THE BIG ONE:
-Literally 3 days later (not counting weekend time being parked and not driven) I come home from work and there's a very pungent smell of an electric fire. I panicked thinking the house was on fire or something, but it was the car. The back left wheel was piping hot. the other wheels were fine. The charging port was fine. Call service, and they take it in and tell me it's the battery coolant heater. I ask them to make sure that they find the source of the electrical fire smell, but they say there was none. They switch it out ($around 900). Claim it's a coincidence that this happened right after service. Still no explanation for the fire smell and the intense heat on the wheel.

I spoke with someone at the service center, and he insists that all of this is a coincidence. I asked about the retractable center console, and he insisted that they didn't break it, and that they did not even get close to the area (not true). After suggesting that maybe someone inadvertently leaned on it while replacing the eMMC since its in the same area, he agreed that it may have happened. They fixed it for free, which is fine and all, but why default to blaming me or saying that it was broken to begin with?

other annoyances over the years:
- I actually gave up on having 4 working door handles about a year ago. Many roadside services and still at least one doesn't work at all times. Now ill only call when its the driver door.

Not to mention the car leaks air and I have to bundle up in winter on drives (I live in a cold climate). And the interior is breaking apart and looks worn out (unline literally ANY premium car).
In short -- avoid this car at all costs. Yes it's a great drive and fun (but so are SO many other cars), but be prepared to have many arguments with service that's inept and the default mode is to deflect responsibility.

Selling and getting a respectable car ASAP. Only issue is that I feel uneasy selling it without disclosing all the issues. Bad karma and all.

Finally, after almost 5 years of owning my model S, I will be selling my car after it comes back from service.
Here's why:
- The past few times the car went into service, something else broke within a week or so. I tell service and they claim it's unrelated, so here's another $1-2K of charges.

-Last year car went in for brake replacement. just 2 days later a loud pop happened while driving home from work. AC / heat doesn't work. Service takes it back, claims its completely unrelated to what they did, and it honestly it does make sense, and they fix it. The receipt of charges shows that they had switched out a few fuses that were fried - they claim it's a coincidence that it's only 2 days after service.
- 2 weeks ago, I get a service alert - related to the eMMC that has been on recall for a few years. I call and set up service.
- After service: , the center console retractable flap came back broken (service denied they had anything to do with it), and the app wasn't working properly (can remote start and turn climate on, but will not unlock the car without a key) - again, service said it was unrelated.
- Other annoyances but not critical: All the memory was wiped from the car. No Homelink, no saved wifi credentials, no driver profiles. Somehow Spotify was still logged in.
--- annoying but not a deal breaker.

- HERES THE BIG ONE:
-Literally 3 days later (not counting weekend time being parked and not driven) I come home from work and there's a very pungent smell of an electric fire. I panicked thinking the house was on fire or something, but it was the car. The back left wheel was piping hot. the other wheels were fine. The charging port was fine. Call service, and they take it in and tell me it's the battery coolant heater. I ask them to make sure that they find the source of the electrical fire smell, but they say there was none. They switch it out ($around 900). Claim it's a coincidence that this happened right after service. Still no explanation for the fire smell and the intense heat on the wheel.

I spoke with someone at the service center, and he insists that all of this is a coincidence. I asked about the retractable center console, and he insisted that they didn't break it, and that they did not even get close to the area (not true). After suggesting that maybe someone inadvertently leaned on it while replacing the eMMC since its in the same area, he agreed that it may have happened. They fixed it for free, which is fine and all, but why default to blaming me or saying that it was broken to begin with?

other annoyances over the years:
- I actually gave up on having 4 working door handles about a year ago. Many roadside services and still at least one doesn't work at all times. Now ill only call when its the driver door.

Not to mention the car leaks air and I have to bundle up in winter on drives (I live in a cold climate). And the interior is breaking apart and looks worn out (unline literally ANY premium car).
In short -- avoid this car at all costs. Yes it's a great drive and fun (but so are SO many other cars), but be prepared to have many arguments with service that's inept and the default mode is to deflect responsibility.

Selling and getting a respectable car ASAP. Only issue is that I feel uneasy selling it without disclosing all the issues. Bad karma and all.
My question is… What service dealer did you go to? I want to stay clear of them