Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Self presenting front doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prior to getting my X I thought it was a stupid gimmick that I would never use. After a year with it, it's a feature that I really like, as long as you're confident with it not hitting something.

It's obstacle detection has improved greatly, but there are still some cases that can fool it because the sensors are located in the fwd doors and therefore certain smaller obstacles can be missed by the sensors (eg bike handle bars). It's great at finding big obstacles like walls or other cars.

When it does hit something, it's generally a small tap. I have a wrap on the car, so the half-dozen or so taps I've experienced hasn't caused any scratches or damage.

I've seen reports of the wind catching the doors, also. I think you need to be aware of the limitations, and use it or not, as you see fit. On my current car (BMW328), after the years of use, the side panels are scuffed from my pushing the door open. I welcome the (at least) option to have an auto-door. But you do need to think about the prevailing conditions!

My S was in the shop, and I had an X for a loaner. At first I hated them, but my S felt like a relic in comparison when I got it back. You'll adapt, then wonder how you lived without them when using anything else. Now the Falcon wing doors.... that, will take another week to get used to.

I have my X since January but just turned on automatic door this week. Until now I didn't believe it work without hitting something.

To my surprise, it works very well. If I come from the front of the car, it opens slightly first to let me pass, and when I go past the front door, it opens wider. If I come from the back, it opens wide from the beginning. If I come from front and approach passenger door first to put my bags etc, the driver's door kept shut and once I get closer to the driver's door it opens. It looks it's well designed. Now I like it.

I've seen reports of the wind catching the doors, also. I think you need to be aware of the limitations, and use it or not, as you see fit. On my current car (BMW328), after the years of use, the side panels are scuffed from my pushing the door open. I welcome the (at least) option to have an auto-door. But you do need to think about the prevailing conditions!
I've had the wind catch the door and have it tap the car next to me. I've also had the wind prevent the door from being able to open. Pretty rare and I definitely don't want the door to power it's way open regardless of the push back.

I leave mine off. I always have the fob in my pocket and I don't need the doors opening every time I walk through the garage. As it is, the lights turn on, the car unlocks, and the mirrors unfold. But when I walk away it locks and folds the mirrors again.

It still opens the doors when I push the door handle or use the inside door latch, so I get a little bit of the fun of not having to push the door open and making sure it doesn't hit anything. No problem so far.

You get used to them. I didn't use them at first, then turned them on, now they are probably my favorite feature. They do really well overall. You just need to know how they open, that the sensor is in corresponding side FWD, and that if you don't want it to open (like parked on tight busy street) to hit lock button once when walking up). Nice to double click again and open passenger door also.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I find it useful when I'm holding stuff in both hands while trying to enter the car.

Twice, though, I've forgotten I had the key fob in my pocket while working around the car, and the door would pop open and try to clothesline me. Learned my lesson, and now I keep the fob far away whenever I'm in the garage.

Thank you all for the feedback. I was trying to decide whether or not to get the premium option. I really don't want or need the other features. The auto doors sound great, but not sure I can justify $6,000 for the feature. But wouldn't mind having them. Tough call.

Thank you all for the feedback. I was trying to decide whether or not to get the premium option. I really don't want or need the other features. The auto doors sound great, but not sure I can justify $6,000 for the feature. But wouldn't mind having them. Tough call.

Yeah, I'd say they are not worth $6 maybe for most people. Now if you want deep bass audio then that is in there too but the standard system is pretty dang good as well. The HEPA/bio mode filter is in there, but honestly don't use it a whole lot. It is noisy as kicks up fans to high and circulates through dash vent, etc. Use it in bursts at most when needed (still rare). The cold weather is what is then left in package and since you are in CA it seems, likely not needed ;-)

Originally thought they were just a novelty, but have grown to appreciate it. Will have to remember the one click trick. Gets annoying working in the garage when you walk in and out of range. Our wall charger is at the back and we park nose first, so occasional have to deal with the door opening as we walk the charger cable to the charging port.