Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second Model S on fire (October 18th, 2013 in Merida, Mexico).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was not so much an electrified fence, but instead it appears to be a concrete wall with a electric meter base attached that provides service for the house.

TelsaMexicoAccident.jpg

That's a pretty substantial concrete wall it took out. Not sure how it managed the 90 degree movement to then hit the tree, but it it clear that the front section is pretty well ripped off after demolishing that concrete wall.

Last edited:
Somehow driving a car at a high rate of speed, getting it airborne, and crashing through a barrier doesn't strike me as the best way to manipulate the stock price. Even in a Model S there is still a big element of risk--something could come through the windshield.
If you have a deathwish it sure sounds like a hell of a way to go though. Though apparently ineffective for satisfying that wish if you use a Model S. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The flames completely consumed Tesla , which was later removed from the site . The aim is to locate the owner of the car by the plates , to answer for the damages. - David Chan Caamal
Hm. Tesla reported that they contacted the owner already (and that he's reserved another vehicle, etc.). Presumably they've been in contact with the authorities.

- - - Updated - - -

Unrelated to the fire, but I thought Tesla does not warrant the car if it is driven into Mexico?
Perhaps someone already addressed this. In case not...

This was discussed previously and my loose recollection is that driving through Mexico (like on vacation) is fine but registering the vehicle there will likely trigger warranty issues.

Wow. That wall is completely destroyed. Any photos of how the tree looks like? It's impressive that the car could fly through the air, destroy a concrete wall and hit a tree with such a big impact and the driver walks away without any major injuries. How does this not increase the stock?

I would hope Tesla doesn't just release a drivers information or car data and instead waits for the authorities to go through the proper channels.

That's a pretty substantial concrete wall it took out.

Holy crap you are not kidding!!!

Surely he must have been coming in from the right, across that small bit of lawn, in order to deflect into that tree. He would have had to go over that low concrete wall before hitting the big one. That probably would have shredded the underside of the car prior to the main impact.

This guy must have been going VERY fast. He is lucky to be alive, never mind unhurt.

It was not so much an electrified fence, but instead it appears to be a concrete wall with a electric meter base attached that provides service for the house.

View attachment 34205

That's a pretty substantial concrete wall it took out. Not sure how it managed the 90 degree movement to then hit the tree, but it it clear that the front section is pretty well ripped off after demolishing that concrete wall.

I can't see how this is possible either. What is stranger is the car was crushed at a wrecking yard before Tesla got to check it out. I guess aluminum cans are worth a lot of money.

Today I was at a shop loading some wine in the frunk, and a passerby commented on the beautiful car. Of course, the inevitable question: "What is it?" When I told him, his response was: "Oh, like the one that burned up in Seattle." (actually, it was Kent WA)

Sigh.:frown:

What's newsworthy?

1. Being full of stored energy, cars catch on fire. In the US, that's 180,000 candidates for headline treatment each year. Few result.
2. Tesla too is a car.
3. If a thousand wrecked Model S's did not catch on fire, it would be newsworthy, though without a particular moment in time to focus public attention.
4. If all drivers and passengers walked away from the thousand crashes, that too would be newsworthy.
5. Are people expecting the Tesla to be fireproof? Unlikely.
6. So what makes a Tesla crashing and catching fire so newsworthy? Only the 787 battery fires where there was no known impact to trigger a fire, and thus a headline-warranting mystery that affected passenger safety.
7. Attention-grabbing headlines that do not match the story have become a standard practice in the news media. Because headlines are remembered more easily than the text, and are seen by many times more people than read on, they create a false history among those who do not read carefully.
8. "Bait and switch" is also a standard con-artist tactic to grab attention and expectations for fraudulent purposes. Using "battery fire" in an accident headline, knowing that most readers will take it to be like spontaneous 787 fires, is about like featuring naked women on the cover of a book that has no naked women in its text.
9. The practice of misleading is called fraud, but it is a crime only in certain arenas.

I wonder how much the stock will crash when the first suffers from spontaneous combustion in a large wood frame apartment building at 4am. I think Tesla is unstoppable but Mexico's largest source of income is oil. We have to prepare for a fight and not let EV1 history repeat. They were able to crush the EV1 literally and figuratively. Telsa is not going down...can only hope to crush and aquire. This time the war is going to be dirty.

Partly in response to wcalvin's post.

Currently, Tesla Model S is seen somewhat like royalty and somewhat like celebrity. Both aspects bring out people wanting to find fault. When something bad or interesting happens, it's immediately news. Take it as a compliment, and in some cases a sign of envy. Not worth fretting over, IMO.

There hasn't been anywhere near the public awareness of the second fire as there was for the first, in my experience. No one has asked me about it. I think it's already considered "old news" on many fronts. Cars catch on fire all the time. Ho hum.

There hasn't been anywhere near the public awareness of the second fire as there was for the first, in my experience. No one has asked me about it. I think it's already considered "old news" on many fronts. Cars catch on fire all the time. Ho hum.

And it's pretty hard to work up any sympathy for someone who was driving drunk late at night.

Tesla Battery Fire & Explosion in Mexico

Amongst many Tesla fans, there seems to be an effort to try to suppress and ignore the explosion hazard of lithium batteries. I don't think it's wise or ethical to try to sweep safety issues under the carpet.

At about 13 seconds into the video you can see where the Tesla explodes. The fire probably heated up adjacent battery cells to the point that some "vented" explosively.
ProgresoHoy.com -- Tesla Explosión glorieta del Pocito Mérida, Yucatán, México - YouTube

Keep in mind the driver & occupents probably would have sustained major injuries or died had they been in any other car & likely left the scene before the fire even started, Elon mentioned the driver picked up the Teslas investigating team the next morning at the airport, I pretty sure I would have been laying in some hospital bed if that accident had happened in any car I have ever owned & not doing a pick up at some airport.