Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seating position and instrument visibility?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I am new here on a test drive week-end with a base (long range) model S.
I am actually interested in buying a Plaid, as my first Tesla - some kind of "Tesla-virgin" and they lent me this for testing as no Plaids were available.

I need advice regarding ... seating position.
Despite trying hard I am unable to simultaneously achieve a comfortable seating and steering wheel position while keeping vital instruments in sight. The optimum seat / wheel setting results in the upper part of the wheel partly masking the speed indication and completely masking everything in the upper center part of the display.
I can of course adjust:
- the seat up - losing armrest comfort or
- the steering wheel up - making it awkwardly high.
I like neither and such problems simply do not exist in any other of our cars.
I tried (and will try again) moving the steering wheel and seat in many combinations, but it seems to me that there is a fundamental mismatch between the wheel and instrument layout?
Is it just me or anyone else has the issue.
Is this a silly consequence of this car being designed for a yoke ?
Grateful for input. Safe and fun driving to all.
PS: Would it be of interest if I wrote a post "New Tesla driver's impressions on the 2023 Model S "?

I am 6' 4" and can see the whole dashboad screen with a round steering wheel. In my several Driving schools with BMW and Mercedes, they teach to not sit low and laid back, but higher to have the most control of the "round" steering wheel. The steering wheel air bag is pointed toward my upper chest. The Tesla is the best driving position I have had in any vehicle.

After a lot of tweaking, I managed to find a compromise: I could see the speed indication, half of the speed limit indication and at least my right arm was comfortably rested.
I have been driving BMWs for a long time and was always able to adjust seat and steering wheel to perfect ergonomics without such issues.
So I guess the conclusion is: the new Model S was designed with a Yoke and the round wheel came later as a fix.
I returned the test car early with very mixed feelings. I loved the incredible performance, handling was remarkable too and the sound systems is a masterpiece. I hated other aspects but I won't be ranting here considering my "just visiting" status...
If and when I buy my Plaid, I'll allow myself more liberty. Thanks for the replies.

Reactions: DerbyDave
same for me, I test drove a plaid with the round wheel and couldn't find a position to see the whole cockpit, I now have a yoke and it's better
Interesting, thank you! I am tinkering with the idea of buying an aftermarket "yoke-based" full wheel with that odd shape that frees up the view to the instruments. That is if /when Tesla make the car good enough for me to throw 100K at it...

Interesting, thank you! I am tinkering with the idea of buying an aftermarket "yoke-based" full wheel with that odd shape that frees up the view to the instruments. That is if /when Tesla make the car good enough for me to throw 100K at it...
Looks like the Cybertruck has a rectangular, low profile steering wheel, so maybe Tesla will have a third wheel design for purchase.
1699576290126.png