Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw range anxiety, I have mpg anxiety!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Diesel Jetta also crushed the EPA estimates. I put every tank of fuel and mileage into a spreadsheet the entire (short) life of that car. An idiot in a Maxima took it away from me way too soon (45k miles).

EPA was 3?/40 and I got 41-42 not careing, and 45+ trying to extend my driving (whileist still driving 75mph minimum on open interstate).

Eminent "terrain"

:wink::biggrin:

Interesting thought. I haven't heard anything about that here and the PV system sales-man didn't say anything about it. I gotta say, I have mixed feelings about such a rule and would definitely think twice before invoking it to require my neighbor to cut down his trees. On the other had, the blasted things do pretty much blot out the sun for most of the morning.

Every time I rent I car I ask for an EV. Maybe they'll take note.
I hate renting (gas) cars since I've switched to an EV at home.
It's so annoying when tight for time for the airport to have to find a gas station, stand out there in the elements with blaring music and blaring ads, dealing with a fuel filler that many times wont work without constant attention.
And on one recent episode in Toronto at a gas station near the airport my credit card swipe was hacked and for a few bucks worth of gas had to deal with fraudulent credit card charges and all the hassle of setting up a new card.
Non of these issues would arise if rental companies offered EVs.

I got a rental car today. I had reserved an "economy" car...but they offered a Chrysler Town & Country minivan. I asked for the smallest car they had available...turned out to be a Jeep Liberty!

Ugh...I drove from SeaTac, to Bellevue, then to Everett today...used a QUARTER TANK of gas!!!

If I drove this thing all the time I'd have "Jeez I gotta go to the gas station AGAIN" anxiety!

None of these issues would arise if rental companies offered EVs.
Playing devil's advocate -- why would the rental companies not ask you to bring the EV back "full" (of charge), or charge extra for the rental if you don't, same as gas cars?

In fact I would think they would be even more likely to do this with EVs, since it will take them longer to recharge it to get it ready to be rented again, than it would to refill a gas-powered car. How much longer depends on the QC abilities of the car and rental company, of course, but it could be anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours.

Back to Off-Topic

I can't recall of the top of my head, however the biggest question was whether or not I could get the system to qualify for the tax credit. To do so, I would have to have access to a certain percentage of the available sunlight on my roof in any given day. The trees pretty much obscure the whole roof area until 10 or 11am so it pretty much took me out of the running for the credit. I've been thinking about what you're suggesting though; it would be nice to offset my driving or, perhaps, my driving and home AC use.

Based upon my experience - the majority of your production is from 3 hours before to 3 hours after solar noon (either noon or 1PM depending on Daylight Savings). Also the slope of your roof (22 1/2 degrees is common for house roofs) versus the angle of the sun is a factor. The important question regarding your neighbor's tree(s) is what impact does it have during the Spring, Summer, Fall. Depending on your daytime energy usage - Time Of Use (TOU) could also help. I produce ~4,500 Kwh per year and use nearly 6,000 Kwh per year and still don't have a electricity charge - because TOU.

As for micro ???? - never heard of it, but then again I don't know squat about the technical aspect of solar panels (I do know about the financial analysis of the decision making process). I just assumed that if one panel was affected (by shade) it wouldn't affect the output of the other 19 panels on my roof.

Back to Off-Topic

Based upon my experience - the majority of your production is from 3 hours before to 3 hours after solar noon (either noon or 1PM depending on Daylight Savings). Also the slope of your roof (22 1/2 degrees is common for house roofs) versus the angle of the sun is a factor. The important question regarding your neighbor's tree(s) is what impact does it have during the Spring, Summer, Fall. Depending on your daytime energy usage - Time Of Use (TOU) could also help. I produce ~4,500 Kwh per year and use nearly 6,000 Kwh per year and still don't have a electricity charge - because TOU.

As for micro ???? - never heard of it, but then again I don't know squat about the technical aspect of solar panels (I do know about the financial analysis of the decision making process). I just assumed that if one panel was affected (by shade) it wouldn't affect the output of the other 19 panels on my roof.

I think that I may look into it again this summer. Not having the tax incentives makes its a lot less appealing, but I need to see if it makes sense from a technical standpoint. If I can still generate a pretty decent amount of energy from a PV system then I might just go for it anyway.

The power that I get from the power line is pretty 'green' to begin with since it comes mostly from hydo (I know that hydro is not impact-free) but I like the idea that we all move towards home solar systems with the big generators only being used to fill in the gaps and at night.

I have two little boys and I don't want them getting drafted to go fight a war in Iran in 15 years because we couldn't detox from oil.

Something that people often overlook is weatherizing their house and making it more efficient. Windows, insulation, new air conditioner, solar attic fans and solar water heaters..etc. If the power you get is already fairly green, can take the $30,000 or more that you would spend on solar and dramatically reduce the amount of energy your house uses.

I have 'gas' (actually diesel) anxiety when I drive... I feel anxious when I average below 45mpg :).
Gas anxiety happens when paying at the Gasoline pump.
I love it. I drive my Jetta so infrequently now that I don't even know what gas prices are anymore. Everyone now and then I'll drive by a gas station and actually force myself to look. It took a few months to get used to not having to go to the gas station but now I certainly don't miss it.

Ever since I got the Roadster, I don't think my fuel economy is all that good when driving a gas car... :confused:

Yes, putting your credit card in a gas pump is an anxious experience, especially when your car wants premium gas. Around here regular is $1.22 a liter (about $4.50 per US gallon), and premium is $1.36 a liter (about $5 a gallon). Ow.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to the Model S, so I can drive electric year-round. (I don't subject my Roadster to the worst of the winter.)