Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X, FWD, and young children safety anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all --

Previous Model S owner, switched to a Model X a few years ago when we wanted something better for transporting the family.

To start with, let me say I love most things about the X. It's fun to drive, the FWD make it incredibly easy to get my two kids into their seats, etc etc.

Lately, however, I've been having some anxiety about the FWD as it relates to the kids, who are both still car seat age and will be for awhile.

It might be silly, but I keep thinking...in the event of an accident (which, god forbid, results in any sort of fire), how the heck do I get the kids out of the vehicle if there is power loss to the doors or the opening mechanism is damaged in the accident? I know there's an emergency access latch in the speakers but the kids are strapped into their car seats, and wouldn't be strong enough to work them anyway. Is the only option contorting and climbing into the back seat, getting them out, and passing them through the front?

I can't be the only one who has had sudden anxiety about something like this, and for some reason, I'm having trouble shaking it like I usually can.

I know any car can catch fire, but those rear doors are also "simpler" than a FWD and presumably less prone to failure, especially in an accident (are there studies on this?).

Thanks all!

If small enough for car seats I would plan to bring them out through the window. If you have the 6 seater it's not too hard to get into the back from the front as you can "land" in between the second row chairs.

A lot of vehicles no longer have a physical connection between the handle and latch so this concern should cover more than just MX. Plus depending on the damage it is incredibly common for doors to be jammed shut even if you can unlatch them. It's one of those things where you need to be ready for anything as it's impossible to predict how the vehicle will be damaged, where the fire is, etc. but having a mechanism to break the windows is the most reliable evacuation method.

Most little kids (not infants) know how to fasten and unfasten their own child seat belts. They should be able to scramble into the front seats and out the traditional doors.
A parent can usually lean from the front seats, unlatch the kids and pull them into the front as well.

Model X has one of the strongest superstructures available in a production car. Kids in car seats, in the middle row are pretty well protected with crash protection from structure and airbags.

Backup would be for driver to put a window break hammer with strap cutter in his side door pocket. In the event that the rear doors cannot be opened after an accident, brake that side window, cut the kid seat straps and pull the child out through the cleared window. These devices are available inexpensivly from Amazon or autoparts stores.

Elon designed the X and its doors to accommodate children (he has 5). Lots of thought and design went into those doors.

As a last ditch effort, just like conventional doors, they can sometimes become wedged and un openable in a severe impact. First responders can open them with the Jaws of Life, just like any other vehicle.

Kids are pretty safe back there.

Reactions: scottf200
I had similar concerns to yours when I first got my 2018 MX (although my children are grown up and long gone) and elsewhere on this forum a contributor told about popping the speakers out and putting several zip ties on the release pull cable and extending them out above the speaker so the cables can be grasped and pulled. I did that with my car and fortunately never had to use them. Still, you could reach in from the front and pull hard and get the doors to release without too much trouble, I think. If I can, I will take a picture of my doors tonight. Did not take me long to do and I used bright yellow zip ties that can be seen. Don't think the kids would be strong enough to release the cables, though.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200