Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled for tinting in about 2 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my m3 is scheduled for tinting in about 2 hours..

i usually make up my mind without help but this time im gona need to advise for you guys

usually i don't tint because cops in my area can be

i drive often at night, country roads, in the wood, no city lamp. so yea it is very dark

i wear polarized sunglasses.. especially when it rains. Polarized seems to enhance visibility when the road is wet or during hazy foggy heavy rains.. it cuts the glare almost completely. It's almost like xray google ..i can through cloudy rain

but i hate so much that heat coming from the windshield.. a clear non tinted windshield hurts the eye. Especially if i forget my sunglasses.

so I’m thinking about adding a 70% vlt on the windshield to stay as close as possible to something legal and put 50% on the sides.. nothing on the back glass.

but i hears you can not use polarized sunglasses with ceramic tint.
my question is.. which one eliminates the glare best.. polarized sunglasses or 70% ceramic windshield tint?

do we see better under heavy rain with 70% windshield tint?

lastly, when comes time to sell the vehicle, i was told that you need to remove those illegal tint if you happen to sell it trade it in to tesla.. they will ask you to remove the illegal tint or they gona drop their offer. True?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinting the entire front windshield is illegal in many states, Massachusetts included. Here you can only tint the top 4 or 6 inches but not the entire windshield. That's also true in many other states. Here's a link to what's allowed in all 50 states. It was last updated in February of 2023.

Tinting the entire front windshield is illegal in many states, Massachusetts included. Here you can only tint the top 4 or 6 inches but not the entire windshield. That's also true in many other states. Here's a link to what's allowed in all 50 states. It was last updated in February of 2023.

It’s illegal here in Indiana but I did 80% on full windshield and glad I did. I did 35 on sides and while I personally can feel a difference between the two (just feels hotter coming through the windshield), I’m happy with both. I cannot tell windshield is tinted when looking at it.
Looking back I prob would have gone to 70 on windshield. I remember looking while in the shop and wishing they offered a 75 🤪

No idea on polarized glasses. No prob for me at night or in rain…but that’s me.

You can use polarized sunglasses with ceramic tint but you will see some slight color distortion if you do. I have ceramic tint on the windshield (it's totally clear, and despite the marketing hype, pretty useless. $200 wasted, IMO), and wear polarized glasses. It's not a big deal to me. It's most notable in certain lighting angles and such, but doesn't bother me. I'd say before you have them do it, bring your sunglasses to the tinting place and ask to see a ceramic tinted windshield. They probably have other cars in the process of getting it installed so you could give it a try and see if it's gonna possibly annoy you too much.