Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Francisco --> LA trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @djp, but I'm still wondering if I do a Range Mode charge and then switch to Standard Mode before starting to drive, during my drive do I still have access to the additional energy stored in the battery from the Range Mode charge? My guess is "no".

And what do I do exactly to switch to Standard Mode immediately after a Range Mode charge and before starting to drive?

If you run the battery down far enough in Standard mode it'll automatically switch to Range mode, giving you an extra 25 miles. You can also switch between modes yourself by tapping the battery graphic on the VDS.

My 2.5 doesn't switch automatically. But it only takes one tap on the screen and it gives you so many warnings and opportunities that there's no way you would just coast to a stop. Also, another difference between driving in range mode vs std, range mode allows the battery to run warmer which is slightly more efficient but not quite as good for the battery. That's another reason to charge in range mode to get the miles you need, and then switch to std mode to drive.

Northbound, I initially thought no way HWY 1 will be faster than i-5. Then I sat down and calculated charge times, and you are right. The total time ends up being about the same!
[snip]
So it is tempting to switch to HWY 1 on the way back as well... In fact, the more I think about it the more I like it, because we'll be going through somewhat major towns, in case one charger is not available, we'll be able to find another or stay overnight. Whereas through I-5, the charging options I selected are somewhat "out there"...

Note that I was talking about Hwy 101, not Hwy 1. Maybe that is what you meant, too, since you mention major towns. One other variation I've done is an overnight at the Oaks Hotel in Paso Robles where they have multiple charging stations (some NEMA 14-50 that are free, some SemaCharge J1772 @ 30A at $1.15/hr but free for guests using the hotel's RFID card).

By the way, do you have the address for Dr. Lloyd Marcum's office? Should I call someone ahead or what's the etiquette?

The office is at 1129 Pacific St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401. The charger is around back. Calling ahead is not required. You can use the charger any time by paying with a credit card @ $5/hr, but if his office is open you can ask the receptionist for the RFID card to charge for free. Any Tesla is welcome.

I got lucky when I drove the trip because I found HPCs available at each stop, but that is by no means a given. Do be prepared to wait or use a plan B if you get somewhere and the charging station is occupied. Each location has only one HPC, and since they switched to J-1772 plugs there is a chance that a slow charging car like LEAF, Fiat500e, etc., could be camped out there all day.

Right. In particular, Atascadero is almost always occupied. On the other hand, I've been to Salinas many times and the only time I had a conflict was on a day when I knew multiple Teslas were headed to Monterey. I just went on to Monterey that day. Dr. Marcum's office is very unlikely to be occupied. I think the Rabobank in Goleta is also a spot less likely to be taken, but I don't have much experience there. The Rabobank in Santa Maria is another option that might serve as a Plan B.

If you charge in Range mode and then switch to Standard mode before starting to drive (and how do you do that, exactly?) your post implies that the additional range gained with the Range Mode charge is accessible and usable even though you are driving in Standard Mode. Is that right?

As djp said, you switch modes by tapping on the battery icon on the VDS. When you charge in Range mode and then switch to Standard mode, the additional range provided by the margin at the top 10% of the battery's real capacity is available to use. A full charge in Range mode will typically display as about 95% on the VDS. When you switch to Standard mode, the battery icon will show 100% but will really be about 108% due to the way the software expands the reduced portion of the battery's capacity range that is utilized in Standard mode so it still fills the whole battery icon. More accurately, for my car the Ideal Miles at the end of a normal Standard mode charge is 176, but when I charge in Range mode and then switch to Standard mode, the Ideal Miles is 200 or 201. As I mentioned, the additional range available by using the margin at the bottom 10% of the battery is still available as well by switching back to Range mode as you are driving if you need to use that reserve. It is less wear on the battery if you can avoid this.

Does charging in Range Mode still cause additional stress on the battery even if you start driving on Standard Mode? Your post seems to imply it does not cause additional stress as long as the driver does not drive "down" into the additional range provided by the Range Mode charge.

Apologies if I am not understanding your post correctly. I'm just trying to understand if there is any harm in charging in Range Mode and then switching to Standard before starting to drive. I thought that the act of charging in Range Mode hastened battery degradation, so that switching to Standard Mode to drive would not change that.

To expand on what djp said, charging in Range mode does put extra stress on the battery independent of whether you subsequently drive in Range mode or Standard mode. That battery degrades whenever it is full. You should not be afraid to charge in Range mode when you need it, but you should try to have the charge end shortly before you will depart so that you begin draining the battery down to a lower voltage right away.

The battery is also stressed by draining it down to the minimum level allowed (which is not all the way to zero). Therefore, if you can plan your drive so that you don't need the extra 25 miles provided by the bottom 10% in Range mode, then you reduce the stress on the battery.

Last edited:
@slcasner thank you very much for your comments, and my apologies to the OP for taking this thread somewhat off topic. The Roadster charging and range displays are so different from the Model S that I am still trying to understand them and determine what is best for my typical usage and driving patterns.

Right. In particular, Atascadero is almost always occupied. On the other hand, I've been to Salinas many times and the only time I had a conflict was on a day when I knew multiple Teslas were headed to Monterey. I just went on to Monterey that day. Dr. Marcum's office is very unlikely to be occupied. I think the Rabobank in Goleta is also a spot less likely to be taken, but I don't have much experience there. The Rabobank in Santa Maria is another option that might serve as a Plan B.

Atascadero worked out for me. Both times I managed to just drive right up. One time a Fiat 500E turned in to the parking lot just as I was plugging in and the person gave me some lecture about how the local community has agreed that 2 hour charging is the max time allowed there, and they would be back in 2 hours to take over the HPC. Thankfully that was all I need then anyways. Also lucky I got there first.

Goleta was good both times too. I did some shopping at the Walgreens two doors down, then went over the Starbucks a few blocks in the other direction and got a little food and sat in their comfy chairs using their free Wifi.

I stopped in Santa Maria just to check it out. I don't think that station gets much use. It is a bit further away from the freeway than the other stops. I felt a little uncomfortable leaving the Roadster parked in that location, so think Goleta is a better choice.

---

Highway 1 (between Monterey and San Luis Obipso) is mostly 45MPH speed limit, so keep that in mind. It will go slow, but is one of the most scenic roads around. Don't forget to drive that section with the top off if the weather is nice.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58175&d=1409603434.jpg

Last edited:
Atascadero worked out for me. Both times I managed to just drive right up. One time a Fiat 500E turned in to the parking lot just as I was plugging in and the person gave me some lecture about how the local community has agreed that 2 hour charging is the max time allowed there, and they would be back in 2 hours to take over the HPC. Thankfully that was all I need then anyways. Also lucky I got there first.

Did you point out that the label on the back of your car was the same as the one on the charger, and that this was not true for the Fiat?

Goleta was good both times too. I did some shopping at the Walgreens two doors down, then went over the Starbucks a few blocks in the other direction and got a little food and sat in their comfy chairs using their free Wifi.

I stopped in Santa Maria just to check it out. I don't think that station gets much use. It is a bit further away from the freeway than the other stops. I felt a little uncomfortable leaving the Roadster parked in that location, so think Goleta is a better choice.

We've stayed in motels near both the Goleta and Santa Maria Rabobanks on various trips. Neither is ideal. In Goleta it is a bit of a hike to the motel. In Santa Maria there is a motel close by, but food options are limited. I did leave the car overnight in both places without incident, but I admit to some degree of concern.

One time a Fiat 500E turned in to the parking lot just as I was plugging in and the person gave me some lecture about how the local community has agreed that 2 hour charging is the max time allowed there, and they would be back in 2 hours to take over the HPC.

This is why public charging locations should charge a fee - to stop locals from being so cheap that they don't charge at home and instead clog up stations needed by people doing road trips. It doesn't have to be a large fee.

Thanks to your suggestions we had a very easy and smooth road trip. Carmel Valley Ranch was a beautiful location to stop and charge. Lloyd Marcum's office was super-convenient next to Granada hotel where we stopped for the night. Thank you Dr Marcum! Rabobank in Goleta worked out well too. Thank you guys! Scenery was amazing!

It might be possible to loosen the cable clamp and push the wires back in so the outer insulation can be supported again. But at least what they did makes it look better.

There's a crimp clip inside of the connector that falls off the wire and allows the cable housing to pull out as in the pic. My MC240 I use as my dedicated home charger did the same thing, I put a hose clamp in there since the original clamp can't be re-crimped easily. It worked for a bit and popped out again. Have to revisit and improve upon the fix. Santana Row has a Model-S HPWC that's doing the same thing. It won't shock you but its not a good idea over time having the wires exposed like that.

I thought I'd post our final trip summary (for those taking this trip in the future):

On the way to Santa Monica, we took Highway 1 up to Big Sur for the amazing views. It was an absolutely stunning drive. We stopped at a couple scenic spots to take pictures.
Word of caution, Hwy 1 gets very twisty after Big Sur, you will be limited to driving ~45mph. We decided to switch to US 101 after big sur, especially because it was getting dark. (there are no lights on hwy 1).

1. San Francisco -> Carmel Valley Ranch. 130 miles. 70amp charger.
Really nice place. Gated premises. If you tell them you're coming to eat at the restaurant, they will gladly let you in.
Charger was available both times we visited (there and back). We hung out by the pool and had lunch. It was awesome.
2. Carmel Valley Ranch -> Lloyd Marcum Office in San Luis Obispo. 140 miles. 70amp charger
Dr Marcum has a really nice and safe charging spot in the back of his office. We left the car charging and stayed the night
at Granada Hotel downtown (thanks Dr Marcum for recommendation, it was a really nice hotel).
3. Lloyd Marcum Office -> Goleta Rabobank. 100 miles. 70amp charger.
There was a nice cafe called Fresco Cafe North where we grabbed a Coffee and some food.
4. Goleta Rabobank -> Santa Monica. 100 miles. We later charged at Casa Del Mar hotel. Ask vallet to help.

On the way back, we went via 101 since it was a bit faster and we already saw all the scenery. We also decided to skip the Goleta stop, which made the trip much better. Just watch your speed, if you skip Goleta stop, it's a 200 mile leg and need to stay at conservative speed ~65mph.
1. Santa Monica -> Lloyd Marcum. 200 miles.
2. Lloyd Marcum -> Carmel valley ranch. 140 miles.
3. Carmel valley ranch -> San Francisco. 130 miles.

We saw Interstellar on the way back at SLO movie theater, excellent movie. :)

Thanks again everyone! I'm so grateful for this forum. Couldn't have done it so easily enjoyable without your tips.

--Ed