Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Francisco to Portland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be going from San Francisco (area) to Portland next week and have looked at ABRP re: charging on the way etc... so I'm not particularly worried about it but would like to hear anyone else's experience who may have done this trip, or one similar to it, before. The longest trip I have taken is SF to Lake Tahoe. I was going to take my time and stay overnight in Ashland OR. Anyone have any recommendations on where to stay? possible charging included? restaurants, any interesting places/excuses to stop for awhile? I'm retired so time is not an issue.
Thanks, Bill

I'll be going from San Francisco (area) to Portland next week and have looked at ABRP re: charging on the way etc... so I'm not particularly worried about it but would like to hear anyone else's experience who may have done this trip, or one similar to it, before. The longest trip I have taken is SF to Lake Tahoe. I was going to take my time and stay overnight in Ashland OR. Anyone have any recommendations on where to stay? possible charging included? restaurants, any interesting places/excuses to stop for awhile? I'm retired so time is not an issue.
Thanks, Bill
Bill, we drove from the Bay Area to Seattle three times in the last few years. Once in a P90DL, M3 LR, & Raven S Performance. Charging was very straight forward as I5 is very saturated with Superchargers.

We also stayed in Ashland on the way, and Medford on the way back.

For our Ashland stay, we booked a room at Plaza Inn. They have a few EV chargers in the lower section of the parking garage.

I don't have any more recommendations in that town since we just stopped for shut eye.

Enjoy your trip!

Reactions: pilotSteve
Last summer we did SF Bay Area to Seattle...going northbound we took I-5 to Weed, then US-97 through Klamath Falls, Crater Lake, Bend (overnight stop), and up to the Columbia River, then I-84 to Portland, where we rejoined I-5 towards Seattle. That was kind of fun since we'd already done the I-5 route before. Southbound we did I-5 the whole way.

Bruce.

Reactions: RayB and pilotSteve
Ashland is a cool little town, Brothers Restaurant has a good breakfast. Lately I've been doing the Fairfield Inn in Medford, includes free overnight charging. The PlugShare app is your friend for free or cheap L2 charging, just set the filters to J1772 and Tesla.

Way farther off the beaten path than it looks, Redwood National Park and Jedidiah Smith Redwoods State Park are well worth the detour. Generally you don't have to go very far from the parking lot at all to experience the old growth forests, most of the hikes are under a mile with lots of shade and benches, I can spend all day in there. Detour from Redding, spend the night in Klamath or Crescent City, route back through Grants Pass. The road from Redding is probably the curviest I've ever driven on.

Then stop at Sutherlin, OR and behold the 51 superchargers! Surprisingly compact and Starbucks nearby.