Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon: Has anyone driven from SC in Springfield to SC in Klamath Falls, OR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Portland to Lake Tahoe road trip 🏔️ 🚙

We tried, but halfway up highway 58, the car decided we would not make it and tried to reroute us to charge in Bend.

Could be because we were going around 10mph above the speed limit, uphill.

Has anyone driven this route and made it? It would be nice to know if it’s actually possible for the next road trip if perhaps sticking closer to 55mph.

We ended up turning around and taking the 5 south.

Says you can make it starting at 91% and finishing at 10%. With "typical speeds" (plan the route and then can click on various places on the road see what it thinks the speed is). You may need to change it to imperial units.

You didn't mention your car, this is for a 2023 Model Y LR

Reactions: vcvc
1701230685292.png

Portland to Lake Tahoe road trip 🏔️ 🚙

We tried, but halfway up highway 58, the car decided we would not make it and tried to reroute us to charge in Bend.

Could be because we were going around 10mph above the speed limit, uphill.

Has anyone driven this route and made it? It would be nice to know if it’s actually possible for the next road trip if perhaps sticking closer to 55mph.

We ended up turning around and taking the 5 south.
The car should take the elevation change, temperature, as well as any headwind, into account. However, it doesn't appear to recognize your plan to drive above the speed limit. It would be useful if it would use any Autopilot offset as your intent, even if you drive manually, but it does not appear to do so.

Unless there was an unexpected wind change, it's most likely your speeding that caused the problem.

As brkaus points out, ABRP does a good job and takes into account a configured percentage of the speed limit. You can also train it for your car's aerodynamics, in case you have something like a roof rack, bike carrier, etc. I like to use ABRP as a cross reference to the Tesla planner.

Reactions: vcvc and bruce4000
That is a tough leg, lots of elevation gain. I've done it a few times in both my '14 S and '18 3P, but not in winter. Even in Summer I've used 80-85%. You'd have had a much better chance of making it by not speeding. It's pretty easy to do that leg in the other direction. Unfortunately there's not a lot of infrastructure to add another supercharger.

When it comes to this kind of thing, here are my ideas/strategy.

First of all, always have the Trip Energy consumption graph handy. This is one of my permanent icons at the bottom of the screen. I bring this up to see if I am "above" or "below" the line of the car's initial prediction. I'm usually above because I find the car to generally be pessimistic, but if I'm below, I do try to understand why. And now the energy display even shows you the likely causes of the additional energy consumption.

Next, how far off are you from making it? Again, the car is sometimes pessimistic and will prematurely bail out. I've left on a trip in the winter heading to a specific Supercharger and the car adds a Supercharging stop because it doesn't think it can make it. I remove all stops and it shows something like 1% or even -1% arrival SOC, but I know can probably make it, so I push on and keep on eye on the arrival SOC. Hopefully (and usually) it is creeping up.

But that is for a known trip with a suitable bail out option. For a case such as yours, obviously I would not count on that, but if the car says arrival of 5% or more, I'd be willing to go for it and just manage my consumption.

That is a tough leg, lots of elevation gain. I've done it a few times in both my '14 S and '18 3P, but not in winter. Even in Summer I've used 80-85%. You'd have had a much better chance of making it by not speeding. It's pretty easy to do that leg in the other direction. Unfortunately there's not a lot of infrastructure to add another supercharger.
Good to know! Yes, it seems like it’s more uphill vs. downhill heading east on hwy 58 (and opposite in the other direction).

Are the Model S and 3 more efficient or better range than the MYLR? … Just in case we ever attempt again in the summer

Good to know! Yes, it seems like it’s more uphill vs. downhill heading east on hwy 58 (and opposite in the other direction).

Are the Model S and 3 more efficient or better range than the MYLR? … Just in case we ever attempt again in the summer
Model S has a longer range. Bigger battery. At least most models, but your mileage may vary.