Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Car Owners Support Group.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. I've been told by a reputable source(*) that there is a pyrotechnic fuse in the battery which gets blown if the airbags go off. This part is apparently *NOT* easy to source or replace.

(*) A retired engineer with 2 Rav 4s, a T-Zero, a Sig S and a Sig X. (He's been an EV advocate since the EV1...)

That one is used, but the seller claims it's been tested. I have a few brand new ones I might be willing to part with should anyone need one in the future.

Sounds like you are probably the best bet. The things you are doing are groundbreaking to folks on the forum.

Btw I'm looking for the rear liftgate gas automatic support struts and the wiring harness from the passenger side strut, any advice on where to source these parts?

Those are almost certainly standard purchased parts. Do they have any part numbers or other identifications on them?

They are also dirt cheap OEM parts, so you can afford to take a guess and then see if it works. Google "Monroe Mounting and Length Specifications" You'll get a PDF with all their shocks and struts.

Go to the last page and match up the ends on the rod & body to the diagrams. That will give you the "end codes" Then you want to measure the compressed and extended length of the *mounted* strut in your car. The unmounted part doesn't have to match. As long as the part's compressed length is lower than the applications *and the parts extended length is greater than required by the application. There is a decent chance it will work. There might me more than one match, based on differences in load capacity.

Try them and see. If none of the Monroe parts work, look for a comparable part on a similar vintage mainstream car (Toyota, BMW, Ford, etc) at a place like Rock Auto. The goal is just to get the names of the OEMs. Then you can search the OEM's websites for tech specs or engineering catalogs you can use to try to match up the part.

I'd be more careful 'winging it' like that with critical suspension or brake parts, but a lift-gate strut is hardly a critical application.

If you find a match, please post it.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=201516457065&alt=web

If the seats werent jacked up. Id offer him 15k. This car has been dropping for a while

That needs a looooooot of work. From what I've seen people getting quoted for repair work after accidents, I'm not sure that's worth it when you can get clean titled S85s for around $40-50k.

From what I see, it'll need a front bumper, nose cone, driver fender, driver side quarter panel, 4 airbags (front driver, front passenger, driver/passenger seat airbags), windshield, pano roof, and all sorts of body work on the pillars.

It might be worth it for the parts (and battery if it's intact), but to buy that and test everything might be more trouble than it's worth.

oh 100% parts only. no way will it be worth it to drive that thing again. if you look carefully you can see they tried to make it look "pretty" by putting doors back on the drivers side, the door mounts and sills were completely smashed and they did a quick repair so the doors can sit properly for photos.

Don't forget $2k+ for recert which requires 30 specific pictures, and passing the State Patrol inspection which requires -all- receipts.

ZERO warranty, and worth $15k-$20k less than the same model with clear title.

Last edited:
The recert is $1500, but you don't need that unless you want Tesla to work on it, or you want to be able to buy parts.

In the case of Btr_ftw's situation, what is that chance that he can replace all of the salt water damaged electronics and get a working car without the recert and getting Tesla to reflash everything to the same/compatible versions? (Can you really make a FrankenTesla without Tesla?)

Also, isn't there another ~$500 charge for a body shop to do the tear down and take the photos for Tesla? (So a total of ~$2,000 for a recert.)

- - - Updated - - -

the State Patrol inspection which requires -all- receipts..

If you run into that problem just give me the car. In Oregon no State Patrol inspection is needed, all you need is to get a "VIN inspection" from the DMV. (All they do is check that the VIN under the windshield matches what is on the door and the paperwork and you are good to go.)

The recert is $1500, but you don't need that unless you want Tesla to work on it, or you want to be able to buy parts.
The Tesla-certified body shop charges $1,500, and then the SC charges from $300-$1,500, depending on whether any work needs to be done. Remember, there is no warranty.

And you don't want to own a car unless it can get OTA updates and use the Superchargers.

No, unfortunately it is not something easy to do. Though, once you have access it's easy to change parts in the car, including battery packs. All it takes is a change to the car's options and a firmware reflash.