Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Sales Tax question moving from NJ to TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently moved to Texas. I bought my Tesla in NJ when I was staying there and paid no sales tax as NJ has that incentive.

Now, to register my vehicle in Texas, it appears like I have to pay the sales tax. I haven't registered my Tesla yet but curious if any one else has gone through this. In fact, this no sales tax was one of the incentive for me to buy the Tesla.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that there's no way around this. From the TxDMV.gov site: "As a new resident, you also will pay sales tax-related fees required by the state's Comptroller of Public Accounts. Sales tax fees on a vehicle can be $90 or the difference between your previous state's sales tax and the Texas sales tax."

Fortunately, you only pay this sales tax-related fee once, instead of every year like some states. From now on your annual registration will only be $40 or $50 or something like that.