Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saleen Foursixteen Video with sound from modified drivetrain.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it sounds neat. As our family car I'm not sure I'd want mine to sound that way, but I can understand some people might. I was back in my tuned track day Evo last week and was reminded not all engine noise is bad (and what proper steering feels like :-/).

The front bumper/nosecone is my least favorite part of the Model S, but holy hell that Saleen bumper is hideous. It looks like an 80s Ninja Turtle... or a previous-gen Corvette.

I went in to watch the video thinking I'd probably think it was probably cool and futuristic sounding.

Yikes, it sounds like something stuck and rubbing. Nope, nope, nope, nope...do not want!

I also think it sounds cool, insofar as it's a nice deviation from the sound my car makes. However, I wouldn't want to have it making that sound all the time. (The less sound, the better.)

We should probably reserve judgement on the Saleen car until we've had a chance to drive it and live with it. (especially on things like range)

After all, it is still a BEV and doesn't put any carbon into the atmosphere. It's a significant move for Saleen, all of whose other cars put a lot more carbon into the atmosphere than the source vehicles. We should be happy that they've decided to take this step.

And, does anyone think the seats will be less comfortable? They look pretty nice. I am thinking of approaching them to see if they have a "seats only" deal.

Being hearing-impaired (but functional thanks to hearing aids) I have a completely different perspective on car sounds/noises. I don't care at all for normal car sounds, having adapted to my impairment, and am very appreciative of my S's silence. What I am more concerned about is the possibility that I may not hear abnormal car sounds indicative of serious problems when they occur. To have a layer of "normal" sounds that may blanket the abnormal is not in my best interests.

I agree! I believe Saleen's primary goal was to change drive train gear ratio for added torque at lower speeds (that was the intended design change). The unintended result was the drive train sound. I'm guessing that if someone were to ask for the same Saleen gear ratio, but without the sound, it wouldn't be possible (at least not easily).

I did just that and they said it can be done simply by cutting the gears a different way. I'll update you when my Saleen FourSixteen arrives :)

- - - Updated - - -

And, does anyone think the seats will be less comfortable? They look pretty nice. I am thinking of approaching them to see if they have a "seats only" deal.

They have an a-la-carte option.

It actually reminds me more of the Roadster sound (although it is different). I like it and don't see anything wrong with it. It is closer to the sound that the Formula E cars have. I would rather this authentic sound coming from the car vice some made up sound which sound advocates have been pushing toward. even muscle cars and such have started making fake sounds and it is terrible.

So yeah, I don't see issue with it having than authentic sound and it sounds electrical in nature and therefore fitting to the car. I don't like either noses, but that is just me... I think it has to do with the front shape of the car in general, but you need that shape in order to provide the best teardrop effect for a great drag coefficient.

It actually reminds me more of the Roadster sound (although it is different). I like it and don't see anything wrong with it. It is closer to the sound that the Formula E cars have. I would rather this authentic sound coming from the car vice some made up sound which sound advocates have been pushing toward. even muscle cars and such have started making fake sounds and it is terrible.
Agreed. It's a legitimate sound the car makes, not the product of a speaker somewhere. I find that interesting. It's not the coolest sound I can imagine an EV making, but it is a legitimate sound, which I think is key. Even BMW is lost to this "use the speakers to make cool engine noises" garbage.

It reminds me quite a bit of the sound a supercharger makes, which I also find pleasant. I guess I just don't hear the grinding/chalkboard noise everyone is mentioning. *shrugs*

Either way, I'm not sure I want a loud daily driver again. I'm sure the volume was amped up for the video... I wonder how loud it really is.

It sounds like a racing gearbox in an ICE. It might sound neat for about 2 minutes; but I can't imagine having to listen to that on a long trip.

- - - Updated - - -

So yeah, I don't see issue with it having than authentic sound and it sounds electrical in nature and therefore fitting to the car. I don't like either noses, but that is just me... I think it has to do with the front shape of the car in general, but you need that shape in order to provide the best teardrop effect for a great drag coefficient.

I don't think "gears" are inherently electrical sounding. It sounds like any ICE with a straight-cut gearbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dmJH84FnQa8#t=62

[video=vimeo;105394986]http://vimeo.com/105394986[/video]

According to Automobile Magazine

Saleen published a new video of the Saleen Tesla Foursixteen, in which the modified electric vehicle demonstrates its new noise under hard acceleration. It sounds unmistakably electric, but the high-pitched, banshee-like whine of the Saleen-tuned transmission is a vast improvement over the relative silence produced in the Tesla Model S P85. The transmission was modified for better sound and acceleration, and Saleen will also offer a shorter final-drive ratio for even better acceleration.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...rsixteen-sounds-like-a-banshee/#ixzz3Ckz65Aja

I am a fan of the goals Saleen has for the Foursixteen just not the execution on the sound front.

I prefer the silence.

Hmm...I listened to just the sound without the video and I came up with some options, some of which have already been put forward here:

> Giant RC car
> Straight cut racing gearbox
> A Tesla roadster
> Hotted up mobility scooter (see YouTube)
> The electric vehicle that used to deliver milk to my mum's house in 1958
> The straight cut 1st gear on my 1962 E Type. You can't wait to change up to 2nd for a bit of peace and quiet
> The winch that launches my sailplane (glider)
> A desperate attempt to do something, anything to make the Saleen different from a Model S

What it doesn't sound like:

> The world's most advanced car that rewrites the rule book

That must be some strong stuff Steve and his crew are smoking if they believe this is an enhancement!

I don't think "gears" are inherently electrical sounding. It sounds like any ICE with a straight-cut gearbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dmJH84FnQa8#t=62

Shows how much I know about cars and racing then... thanks for this link! That is far more harsh sounding than what I hear in the Saleen video, but it would explain the noise.

Here is how to get your Model S to sound just like that Saleen contraption...

Tesla Model S motor induction sound through AM radio - YouTube

That is win! Awesome find :D I would not do this, I am just enjoying the science behind what is causing this to happen. I actually almost want to do this, from a pure scientific standpoint and flip my AM tuner over to this just to show people cause it is awesome the interference it causes.