Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S strange sound from dash: Cracking, rubbing, while driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just started noticing this weird sound coming from my dash/ front of the car while I drive. I notice it especially while accelerating, decelerating, turning.

My guess is a cracked piece in the dash, that's what it sounds like. I opened up the whole top of the dash and removed the piece and the sound still persisted, so it must be deeper if it is in the dash.

Another thing I saw on this forum was it could be coming from the frunk, but I wouldn't know where to start looking or how to test what's wrong.

Tesla is out of warranty, so I don't want to bother bringing it to a service center until I narrowed down what's wrong.

I've attached a video of the sound. Any help would be appreciated! It's driving me crazy!

I just started noticing this weird sound coming from my dash/ front of the car while I drive. I notice it especially while accelerating, decelerating, turning.

My guess is a cracked piece in the dash, that's what it sounds like. I opened up the whole top of the dash and removed the piece and the sound still persisted, so it must be deeper if it is in the dash.

Another thing I saw on this forum was it could be coming from the frunk, but I wouldn't know where to start looking or how to test what's wrong.

Tesla is out of warranty, so I don't want to bother bringing it to a service center until I narrowed down what's wrong.

I've attached a video of the sound. Any help would be appreciated! It's driving me crazy!
A bit of a wild guess but it might be worth removing the frunk to make sure that all of the retaining screws for the cross braces are up tight. Ditto any other blots on the suspension turrets.

I'll give it a try, thanks! I tried checking for any rattling but haven't done it by removing the frunk storage. To me it sounds like some kind of dash piece cracking in the very far part of it, but I guess it could be sound coming from the front too.