Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor S3XY Buttons - Regenerative braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dimitar.ns Is it possible to add a feature that disables the adaptive distance cruise control and enables unlimited speed, but dumb cruise control that just keeps the speed? That would be great when the adaptive cc has issues and will also give a higher speed availability to cruise control.

I know that cars without AP sold before 2019 when it was an optional extra came with unlimited speed cruise control so maybe the code is there somewhere?
The code is for sure there in the car since my car is on recent firmware and still has the 'unlimited' dumb cruise control (which is glorious btw, 5 years, tones of highway driving and no phantom braking). However I doubt there is a way to trigger the code over CANbus since CANbus just sends a cruise control button trigger signal to the FSD computer, which then decides what to do with it). We really need some sort of aftermarket dumb cruise control module probably (and they would probably sell decently well actually).

@dimitar.ns Is it possible to add a feature that disables the adaptive distance cruise control and enables unlimited speed, but dumb cruise control that just keeps the speed? That would be great when the adaptive cc has issues and will also give a higher speed availability to cruise control.

I know that cars without AP sold before 2019 when it was an optional extra came with unlimited speed cruise control so maybe the code is there somewhere?
Unfortunately, @smogne41 is right, we cannot activate this from the CAN bus. So far we didn't see any signal which hints for anything like this, sorry.

FSD computer, which then decides what to do with it). We
Which is strange since there must be a flag stored somewhere that tells it to start the dumb cc and not adaptive cc. And it should work offline. You activate it by pressing the stick once, correct? And you don't have the AP option? Maybe the signal is different from the adaptive cc? Is the hardware exactly the same as in AP cars, radar and all? Should be, right, Tesla doesn't like modifying the cars

Which is strange since there must be a flag stored somewhere that tells it to start the dumb cc and not adaptive cc. And it should work offline. You activate it by pressing the stick once, correct? And you don't have the AP option? Maybe the signal is different from the adaptive cc? Is the hardware exactly the same as in AP cars, radar and all? Should be, right, Tesla doesn't like modifying the cars
All hardware in the car is exactly the same, AP/TACC is just a software flag unlock I can purchase (but will not, since then I would loose my dumb cruise control forever). Yes, I activate the dumb cruise with a single tap down on the right stalk, just like activating TACC in a car with AP.

@smogne41 All we have to do now is get your car and see what signals you get before and after the upgrade:) There must be a way to unlock this - there are people who unlock boost with OBD dongles, so if it is a software flag on the main computer there surely is a way. Anyone who can provide me with this feature will get 200$ the next day no questions asked:)

@smogne41 All we have to do now is get your car and see what signals you get before and after the upgrade:) There must be a way to unlock this - there are people who unlock boost with OBD dongles, so if it is a software flag on the main computer there surely is a way. Anyone who can provide me with this feature will get 200$ the next day no questions asked:)
Ha, not gonna happen, I will never willingly do that 'upgrade' :)

But seriously, I doubt this has anything to do with CANbus. The right stalk just sends signals when it is depressed. The computer decides based on context if it is a shift to D or an engage cruise signal. The (FSD?) computer then either starts running the speed-holding dumb cruise control or TACC. This is almost certainly a software issue and not a CANbus issue. Either hack the computer(s) or add a custom dumb-cruise module of some sort, that so far nobody sells.

It does bring up an interesting question though. I know some people have gotten root on the MCU. Has anybody found a software config flag for the cruise control package?

Reactions: TimothyHW3