Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD vs AWD driving feel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this calculation. I’ll try to remember to count the percentage when I go to work. Sentry and COP does eat a lot of % so that’s another factor.

Attachments

• A3B9294C-95D1-4548-A1D4-9562ACA008E8.jpeg
    A3B9294C-95D1-4548-A1D4-9562ACA008E8.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 100
Now that Tesla has suddenly stopped selling used lr rwd where is the best place to buy, other than in forums like this? Also can you tell how old the car is from VIN?

Not from the VIN, but on the upper left of the driver door jam sticker listing the vehicle weight and tire type, there’s date code that is the build date. It’ll be listed as something like 08/19 for Aug. ‘19.

Are you sure they stopped selling them or is it just that they don't have any of them in their publicly-viewable used inventory currently (and therefore no option to filter on it)? It looks to me that all used LRs are AWD currently.

Another question...has anybody compared the SR+ handling to either LR? Should one expect more of the same difference relative to that between the LR RWD and AWD?

Agree with this. I have a LR RWD and driving normal interstate speeds will eat up your 320 mile range very fast. People that say you can drive anywhere with a SR+, are either slow drivers or have a different definition of anywhere than I do.

I drive 70 miles of interstate most days with some days being 100 and a trip for 340 miles once a month. I average 228 wh/mi sticking to 75mph. Driving over 75 will definitely drain your battery. Depending on temp, some days I have arrived to work at as low as 212 wh/mi.

It is all in how you drive the car. If you have a lead foot, you will pay for it in lost energy.

Are you sure they stopped selling them or is it just that they don't have any of them in their publicly-viewable used inventory currently (and therefore no option to filter on it)? It looks to me that all used LRs are AWD currently.

Another question...has anybody compared the SR+ handling to either LR? Should one expect more of the same difference relative to that between the LR RWD and AWD?

Even where there were no LR RWD in stock you were still able to pick it form the filter- now it's gone in the filter even.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.18.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-06 at 10.18.59 PM.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 69
I test drove the SR+ and LR AWD back to back last night. You could really feel front end bite down and power you through turns with the AWD. The lack of understeer in the AWD was very noticeable and so was the extra power. The extra weight of the AWD was only very very slightly noticeable.
The extra grip on S-curves is the main reason I'll be ordering the AWD

According to tests the dual motor Model 3 doesn't use the front motor much at all during normal driving. Only under hard acceleration or low traction. For regen the front motor isn't used at all. So for the most part the dual motor cars are just running the same as RWD cars.

They don't feel the same though. The front motor somewhow burdens the steering rack, it makes the steering feel rather "chunky".

• Informative
Reactions: David99
The SR+ is a relatively rear heavy car, this will make the steering light and the rear want to come around especially with worn tires. I ended up with AWD mainly for driving winter highways, the extra range, and faster charging.

I have only test driven AWD, my car is still about 2 weeks out.

I test drove the SR+ and LR AWD back to back last night. You could really feel front end bite down and power you through turns with the AWD. The lack of understeer in the AWD was very noticeable and so was the extra power. The extra weight of the AWD was only very very slightly noticeable.
The extra grip on S-curves is the main reason I'll be ordering the AWD

So on windy roads- AWD seems to be better?

Yeah, same. I think it may have been Friday that the last inventory LR RWD was sold.
Well it was a used one not new,. But I guess that's it they don't have any more used ones even. It used to be you could still choose it, and if there's none available it just says not available. But now they've completely taken the used option away which is just weird. I guess they feel like they're never going to sell long range rear wheel drive used again

I bought my RWD MS a couple months before AWD became an option back in 2014. At the time there was a lot of discussion about how AWD would be better because if one motor failed you would have the other as a back-up. That in hindsight was wishful thinking as I think it's safe to say the AWD models have in fact not proved to be any more reliable and in fact probably less reliable than their simpler RWD counterparts.

I for one coming from an enthusiast gearhead background and living in sunny California, do prefer my sports sedans to be RWD. No regrets and I wish I had the option of RWD for my next MS.

• Disagree
Reactions: remlemasi and Runt8
I drive 70 miles of interstate most days with some days being 100 and a trip for 340 miles once a month. I average 228 wh/mi sticking to 75mph. Driving over 75 will definitely drain your battery. Depending on temp, some days I have arrived to work at as low as 212 wh/mi.

It is all in how you drive the car. If you have a lead foot, you will pay for it in lost energy.

There are lots of threads on efficiency on these boards - you definitely seem to be at the high end. I've cruised 100+ miles on the interstate at 70-75mph with autopilot and average 250-260 Wh/mi. to get to <220 I have to be going below 60 mph.

I bought my RWD MS a couple months before AWD became an option back in 2014. At the time there was a lot of discussion about how AWD would be better because if one motor failed you would have the other as a back-up. That in hindsight was wishful thinking as I think it's safe to say the AWD models have in fact not proved to be any more reliable and in fact probably less reliable than their simpler RWD counterparts.
Going to need a source for that claim.

The only hindsight I’ve had is that Model 3 motors have been very reliable so buying a second motor for the express purpose of having a backup if one goes out is a little silly.