Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll probably come off as confrontational, but I mean this to be an honest question: how would "Putin just want(ing) to prevent expansion of NATO" be any different from "the US (or Europe) just wanting to prevent expansion of Russia". It seems there's a implied moral justification to "just wanted to prevent expansion of NATO" that I'm finding hard to grasp.

More:

This is encouraging. I’ve read a number of articles in recent days of Putin / the Kremlin seeking to pay money to citizens to tamp down discontent. A couple of them suggest they are concerned about the election in 2024. Since he is guaranteed to win, I think it likely has more to do the worry that any appearance of weakness could grow rapidly like contagion.

What do you mean? Are you saying she used the wrong naval/juridical term?...

A lot of yachts have been seized or whatever the correct naval/juridical term is.
Jerry33's from Texas, he's probably either pre-stoked for CT delivery event or ticked off for not being invited, we 'murikans weirdly find things funny sometimes, Texans, more so ;-)

Did Google/Youtube just fold for the Russian Dictator? Was Sergey Brin involved somehow?

YouTube has blocked our investigation about Putin’s yacht. Apparently our video ‘violates harassment guidelines’ (what?!). This video had more than 5m views and led to the arrest of the yacht in Italy.

Brin stepped down as Alphabet's president in 2019. His name is Russian, but his family emigrated from the Soviet Union when he was 6. I very much doubt that he has any warm feelings toward Putin

What do you mean? Are you saying she used the wrong naval/juridical term?...

A lot of yachts have been seized or whatever the correct naval/juridical term is.
" led to the arrest of the yacht" I thought you might arrest the yacht's commanding officer or impound the yacht. I thought using "arrest" was rather funny. The vision was some official putting handcuffs on the yacht.

Reactions: KBF and madodel
Yes, just a funny result of the translation. A person would be arrested (and jailed). An object would be seized (and impounded).
" led to the arrest of the yacht" I thought you might arrest the yacht's commanding officer or impound the yacht. I thought using "arrest" was rather funny. The vision was some official putting handcuffs on the yacht.

It seems "arrested" is a correct naval/juridical term... Not sure though if the vid. below is about the same yacht...

Mar 17, 2022
Episode 56 SY News
M/Y Crescent arrested in Spain! The vessel was arrested in Tarragona in which is a port near Barcelona today by Spanish authorities. [...
[My u.]

Last edited:
It seems "arrested" is a correct naval/juridical term... Not sure though if the vid. below is about the same yacht...

Mar 17, 2022
Episode 56 SY News
M/Y Crescent arrested in Spain! The vessel was arrested in Tarragona in which is a port near Barcelona today by Spanish authorities. [...
[My u.]

"Mr. President, we must not allow a yacht size gap!"

I found this opinion piece by Anders Åslund in the Kyiv Post interesting:

"OPINION: Washington Defeatism: More Drivel From High-Profile US Policy Advisers​

Certain well-connected Washington pundits are revealing their true colors. In a screed full of contradictions and errors, Richard Haass and Charles Kupchan continue to advocate for a Russian victory.

By Anders Aslund
November 20, 2023, 12:43 pm

Richard Haass, former President of the Council of Foreign Relations, and Charles Kupchan, a senior fellow of the Council, have just published a truly scary article, “Redefining Success in Ukraine.” Pretty much everything is wrong in this article. Last spring, together with Putin’s prime US advocate Thomas Graham, Senior Director for Russia in the National Security Council under George W. Bush, Haass and Kupchan met with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, who was sanctioned by the United States.

As Senior Director for Europe in the National Security Council in the Obama administration, Kupchan took pride in blocking any delivery of lethal arms to Ukraine, claiming that he helped to avoid World War III, while in fact he facilitated Russia’s invasion in 2022. At that time, he was supported by President Barack Obama, while Vice President Joe Biden and his assistant Anthony Blinken wanted to deliver arms. [..."

Mar 17, 2022
Episode 56 SY News
[My u.]

I looked it up too and the term "arrest" is used in some parts of the world to describe the seizure of a ship by authorities or creditors. In American English the term "arrest" is only used for people being taken into custody, so it looks odd to someone who is primarily familiar with American English.

There are a fair number of differences between North American and international English. There are a few differences between Canadian and US English. The primary ones I can think of at the moment are spelling. Some words that end with "er" in US English end in "re" in Canadian English such as "centre". Similar for American "or" words like "color" spelled as "colour".

The English spoken in other English speaking countries differs from American English in a lot of other ways. Most Europeans who learn English as a second language learn British English, so they are more familiar with the terms for things in British English than American English. I watch a lot of video and listen to podcasts from other English speaking countries so I have picked up on a lot of the differences.

I realized how much I had absorbed when I came across a Youtube clip from a stand up show by Australian comedian Adam Hills. I thought it was hilarious and showed it to my partner. I had to explain every joke because it was full of Aussie slang.

I still run into terminology differences I need to look up such as using "arrest" to refer to a ship seizure. Reading about the war I've seen Eastern European writers refer to ship seizures as arrests and thought it was just a clumsy translation of a term common in Eastern European languages, but it appears to just be a term uncommonly used in American English.

Americans can be very provincial unfortunately, but geography has contributed a lot to this. Draw a radius of 1000 miles from London and you will encounter most of the languages of Europe spoken as national languages. Native English speakers in Europe normally come into contact with more varied cultures than North Americans do. In the entire New World essentially three languages are spoken: English, Spanish, and French. The US has people who speak other languages than English, and there are pockets where only Spanish is spoken, but you can roam most of the territory north of the Mexican border and just about everyone is going to understand English, except for Quebec and a few pockets near Quebec in other provinces. If I draw a radius of 1000 miles around where I live, not only will everywhere I go speak English, they will all have the same accent, except for lower BC and I could adapt my accent to fit in there quite easily.

There are cultural differences, but not to the degree you get with different cultures speaking different languages with different histories. Americans can travel quite far without a passport. If I drove the distance from London to Moscow in the US, I wouldn't even reach Chicago.

Anyway, that's just an aside. Chalk up the misunderstanding to American English speakers who haven't encountered the term before. It's just not a term we encounter. It is kind of a term of art in legal matters, so outside of that venue it hasn't been used much before authorities started seizing/arresting the yachts of the oligarchs.

I looked it up too and the term "arrest" is used in some parts of the world to describe the seizure of a ship by authorities or creditors. In American English the term "arrest" is only used for people being taken into custody, so it looks odd to someone who is primarily familiar with American English.

There are a fair number of differences between North American and international English. There are a few differences between Canadian and US English. The primary ones I can think of at the moment are spelling. Some words that end with "er" in US English end in "re" in Canadian English such as "centre". Similar for American "or" words like "color" spelled as "colour".

The English spoken in other English speaking countries differs from American English in a lot of other ways. Most Europeans who learn English as a second language learn British English, so they are more familiar with the terms for things in British English than American English. I watch a lot of video and listen to podcasts from other English speaking countries so I have picked up on a lot of the differences.

I realized how much I had absorbed when I came across a Youtube clip from a stand up show by Australian comedian Adam Hills. I thought it was hilarious and showed it to my partner. I had to explain every joke because it was full of Aussie slang.

I still run into terminology differences I need to look up such as using "arrest" to refer to a ship seizure. Reading about the war I've seen Eastern European writers refer to ship seizures as arrests and thought it was just a clumsy translation of a term common in Eastern European languages, but it appears to just be a term uncommonly used in American English.

Americans can be very provincial unfortunately, but geography has contributed a lot to this. Draw a radius of 1000 miles from London and you will encounter most of the languages of Europe spoken as national languages. Native English speakers in Europe normally come into contact with more varied cultures than North Americans do. In the entire New World essentially three languages are spoken: English, Spanish, and French. The US has people who speak other languages than English, and there are pockets where only Spanish is spoken, but you can roam most of the territory north of the Mexican border and just about everyone is going to understand English, except for Quebec and a few pockets near Quebec in other provinces. If I draw a radius of 1000 miles around where I live, not only will everywhere I go speak English, they will all have the same accent, except for lower BC and I could adapt my accent to fit in there quite easily.

There are cultural differences, but not to the degree you get with different cultures speaking different languages with different histories. Americans can travel quite far without a passport. If I drove the distance from London to Moscow in the US, I wouldn't even reach Chicago.

Anyway, that's just an aside. Chalk up the misunderstanding to American English speakers who haven't encountered the term before. It's just not a term we encounter. It is kind of a term of art in legal matters, so outside of that venue it hasn't been used much before authorities started seizing/arresting the yachts of the oligarchs.
I know U.S. and Canadian English. Mostly that means I can’t spell in either country.

Mar 17, 2022
Episode 56 SY News
[My u.]

That fits with aircraft carrier arrestor wires...