Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumor: HW4 can support up to 13 cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you get a few sample dashcam clips from the repeater cams? I've only seen a couple short samples on Twitter so far

The raw files off your TeslaCam directory would be best if you can, as that removes any distortion from your ambient lighting/phone. You can easily just drop them onto YouTube once you copy them to a PC. Just a one minute clip driving down the road from the 4 views would be great.

Alternatively, you could record the screen with your phone... but that is always bad.

Thanks Zane Liu, agree some footage would be great to see if the quality has improved. 👍
Sorry it took me a minute. Was pretty busy yesterday but here's two shots (front and right repeater cameras)!

Sorry it took me a minute. Was pretty busy yesterday but here's two shots (front and right repeater cameras)!

Well, at least the repeater cam looks no better than my 4-year-old ones. The color is still poor; I assume your car is red, but it looks rusty orange drab, just like all red stuff does in 2018 repeater cams. And I don't think the resolution is any better.

Caveat: Software could be downsampling the video streams to conserve storage. That is, maybe the computer gets better resolution than we're able to see.

Well, at least the repeater cam looks no better than my 4-year-old ones. The color is still poor; I assume your car is red, but it looks rusty orange drab, just like all red stuff does in 2018 repeater cams. And I don't think the resolution is any better.

Caveat: Software could be downsampling the video streams to conserve storage. That is, maybe the computer gets better resolution than we're able to see.
Haha yeah I have a nice rusty orange Model 3. Spray painted it myself

The raw files off your TeslaCam directory would be best if you can, as that removes any distortion from your ambient lighting/phone. You can easily just drop them onto YouTube once you copy them to a PC. Just a one minute clip driving down the road from the 4 views would be great.
And I don't think the resolution is any better.

What does the video data in the raw file say about the resolution. That would answer the question.

The color is because of the color filter (RCCB) which Tesla is unlikely to change even if they bump up the resolution. The cameras are designed primarily for the computer, the repeater view on the screen and dashcam are secondary functions, so unlikely Tesla will change to favor that.

Still at the HW3 resolution then.
There’s always hope they change specs after a real hardware upgrade - for example the video became uncropped (slightly bigger field of view is what it felt like) and improved in quality when my previous 3 was upgraded from HW2.5 to HW3. But otherwise, like you said, that’s the same resolution and frame rate as the other cams

Reactions: DanCar
Sounds like something interesting to learn here. Please explain! How does this filter help the computer?

You might find this post informative

You might find this post informative

It is, to a degree. It doesn't explain what the advantage to the car is of such a filter.

It doesn't explain what the advantage to the car is of such a filter
Are you asking about why any filter vs no filter? Without a filter, the camera is basically grayscale with the ability to measure how bright things are. Each filter tries to reduce the amount of light getting to the sensor to focus on certain colors like Red, so a red traffic light can be more visible to the sensor relative to a green light. So some sensors with a Red filter and others without ("Clear" filter) allow the combination to infer that a light more visible to Clear but not Red could mean it's a green traffic light. Because a filter prevent some light from reaching the sensors, it reduces their sensitivity in darker situations, but that's a tradeoff in being able to detect certain colors.

Are you asking about why any filter vs no filter? Without a filter, the camera is basically grayscale with the ability to measure how bright things are. Each filter tries to reduce the amount of light getting to the sensor to focus on certain colors like Red, so a red traffic light can be more visible to the sensor relative to a green light. So some sensors with a Red filter and others without ("Clear" filter) allow the combination to infer that a light more visible to Clear but not Red could mean it's a green traffic light. Because a filter prevent some light from reaching the sensors, it reduces their sensitivity in darker situations, but that's a tradeoff in being able to detect certain colors.

The meta-point here is there is a difference between “the best camera for the human eye” and “the best camera for an NN”. Just because a camera looks better on-screen doesnt necessarily make it better fort the NN. (And that is leaving aside that what the human sees has also gone through extra stages of processing just to get onto the LCD panel, with all its limitations.)

What you want from a camera for the NN is enough pixels so the camera can resolve everything it needs to and no more. Any more and the NN wastes compute cycles unnecessarily, limiting the speed with which is can handle tasks. You also want color resolution so that the car can unambiguously decode color-cued symbols, such as traffic signals, but (again) no more than that for the same reasons. It’s totally useless for the car to be able to tell 100 different shades of red that humans look for in a camera. I don’t pretend to know what the best camera specs are for ADAS systems, but I’d hazard a guess that no-one else does with any certainty since the entire field is rapidly evolving. However, “ohh that looks so much nicer” doesnt seem like a particularly scientific criteria to me :)

(I’m skipping over the secondary uses of the cameras for Dashcam et al where of course there are arguments for more human-like image presentation.)

You don't see the advantage of being able to more easily recognize the color green to a system trying to drive the car?
I mean, people with red-green colorblindness can get driver's licenses (in most countries), which is why we have standardization of the position of traffic lights (red on top or left), at least in the U.S. I think that in countries where you drive on the left side of the road, the horizontal lights are in the reverse order, i.e. green is towards the oncoming traffic. Either way, it is consistent on a per-country basis, typically.

But RCCC does probably make it challenging (if not impossible) to tell the difference between a flashing yellow and flashing red light at night, when the bright areas are blown out, much as a colorblind person cannot do so even under the best of circumstances.

Reactions: KArnold