Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I use Thule rack for my other cars, I went to their web site and posted the following.

Customer By Web Form (R Bergquist) - 08/15/2012 12:05 AM
What roof rack options are there for the Tesla Model S? I am interested in bicycle racks (I have existing Thule racks for my other cars). I understand was designed with bolt connections on the roof for a rack.

I got back the following reply today:

Response Via Email(Paola) - 08/15/2012 07:49 AM
Good day,

Unfortunately we don't have a solution for your vehicle.

I'm hoping Tesla has been working with the Thule engineering staff and the word hasn't yet filtered out. My car is scheduled for Oct/Nov so I'll keep checking...

Apologies on my choice of words. Overnight is in fact our worst case, having to carry bed time wear, toys, spare clothes, and teddy bears for all the kids. One-day visit (returning same day) is more relaxed. The frunk may be spacious but I'd love to try out if it holds 3 of our trolleys.

Starting out:
7798572750_91f1802df9_c.jpg

Flips open:
7798572106_5d5eb9229f_c.jpg

7798571430_7663fd35d3_c.jpg

The base which you can simply screw with your hand or using the plastic built-in flipper
7798570426_7350d9af80_c.jpg

7798569262_44e60d3724_c.jpg

You then add the rack of your choice (Bike/Ski/etc.) to the base - again no tools needed. The attachement has screw knobs that connect with the base:

7798568484_b968147717_c.jpg

And the final product:
7798567604_0ab3aaefb3_c.jpg

I bought this from MB but I think Thule is the actual manufacturer. I would suspect the TM version will be just about the same.

Before you put your bike on top of your nice, new, shiny S, consider what I did this weekend. I managed to drive my car into the garage - with my brand-new (3 weeks!) carbon-fiber bike still on top. Needless to say, the bike did not survive intact - the forks were literally ripped in two (the fork ends clamp into the rack in this type of rack):
DSC_0308 small.jpg

The rack itself was also trashed, but the crossbars attaching it to my Audi were OK - the front ones pulled off (bending some of the trim, but not too badly). The real damage came from the bike falling on the car, making broad scratches on the trunk and side panel.

The good news? It happened to my old car, not my S (got a while to wait for that).

Now, I'm an engineer. Mistakes do happen, the important thing is to learn from them and to share the knowledge. There were fatigue factors which led up to this, but I want a foolproof way of preventing myself from ever doing it again.

So, what I did was to take the remnants of the forks (still attached to the rack!), saw the ends off, and glued a piece of wood across the ends. Seal and paint the wood (with the word "BIKE" in nice, big letters), now I've got a placeholder which fits into the rack when the bike's not there - when I do put the bike in, then I hang the placeholder from the garage door.

It is now impossible for me to drive into the garage without hitting the sign first.

Something to think about - it doesn't stop me from doing this in a parking garage, but they usually have something dangling to let you know the minimum clearance.

I absolutely cringe when I think I might have done this to my S... that'd be enough to make a grown man cry.

Ouch. Sorry to hear this... I am also always trying to tell myself not to forget the bike is up there. I have found that it helps a lot if I pull back the shade on the sunroof so whatever is on the roof is in my peripheral vision. When the sunroof shade is closed, often I forget there's something attached and get caught off guard (thankfully when I do remember and not after hitting something).

Ouch! That's almost as bad as backing into your own car because you're so used to backing out of the garage without looking and you forgot that you parked your second car in front of the garage door for one reason or another. The habits we get into...

Presumably these Thule mounts are the right ones for the Model S, but the lingering concern is whether the overlap onto the roof interferes with the pano roof opening. Not a big deal if it did -- you just have to remember not to try to open the pano while you have the racks mounted. It would be nice if there was some "Pano Lock" function that would force you to do an extra screen-tap before opening the pano. It's always easier to remember to do something (set the Pano Lock when you mount the roof rack) than to not do something (don't open the Pano when the rack is mounted).

Dbullard, great pics and thanks for your humility. Forgot to fully secure a bike on the roof years ago and it bounced down route 95. By the time I got to it - someone had picked it up and stolen it. Go figure. I have found that if, immediately upon putting the bike on top of the car, I take the garage remote OFF the sunshade and put it in the glove compartment, when I return I wonder where the remote is, curse, then remember where - and why - and thank my former self. But...hard to take out the Homelink function every time I leave with a bike on the roof of my Model S !