Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip in a P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
For those wondering whether pre-facelift cars, even with batterygate and chargegate, are still viable for road trips, I say YES!
Std disclaimer applies tough - if your top intent is to get to Point B as fast as possible, an EV (and certainly a nosecone car) is not the right choice.

My P85D and AP1 were perfect. Going up/down Mt Shasta was a breeze.

Reactions: Nissanman
Yup, the first 170k miles on my car were with the stock 85 pack. It works just fine, it charges slow but as long as you're a type B personality and just chill out and watch some TV while it charges for 45 min every stop you're fine. I used to drive a 400 mile road trip 2x a month before I retired.

With that said the 100 pack upgrade from 057 is completely worth it on charging speed alone

Reactions: Doanster1
Just curious, does it only charge at 150?
Not even that. My previous record was 118KW for about a minute. This trip, I think it was Redding or Firebaugh where I arrived with like 4%. I actually saw 128KW, but it’s really a don’t-care because it lasted for less than a minute. Bottom line is we need to spend on avg 40mins per stop. More if you need to get to 80-90%.