Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster roadtrip! Sacramento|Portland|Seattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good stuff. Perhaps you could have called Jack at the restaurant to save the charger for you? It would have been inconvenient to have to wait for the Leaf to depart so you could get your charge. Did the Comfort Inn reserve the charging spot for you? What if you got there late and another EV was charging overnight? What if your spot was ICEd?

I have a bit of charger-availability-anxiety.

I'll reply here since the comments aren't working quite yet.

I wasn't that worried about the charger at The Berry Patch - it was 70 amp w/a Tesla Roadster proprietary connector. I had no idea that there were some Leafs roaming about with adapters. Good thing to know. Hopefully they would follow the protocol I do when leaving my car somewhere unattended - I leave a note on the car saying "I'm happy to share the plug, please call my cell phone at xxx".

I wouldn't ask someone to save a charger for me -- first come, first serve. But I would ask another EV owner to let me charge IF they were only topping off. There were other 30amp chargers in the vicinity. Worst case, I would have gone and plugged in at 30 amp, gained some miles, & then switch over to the 70 amp when it became available.

I did call the Comfort Inn to reserve a room and asked about charging. They didn't block the space, but assured me it would be available. Turns out that the charger is tucked away behind the hotel. To access that area, I had to go through the Taco Bell drive thru and wind around the back way. No one else was parked back there and it's unlikely someone would park there if they weren't charging. The nice thing about hotels is they usually ask for information about the car you're driving. So if someone else had been charging, I could have worked it out with them.

Do you plan a lot of roadtrips? I only have needed to use a charging station when out in the wild. The majority of the year I just plug in when I get home at night & wake up to a fully charged car in the morning. It's lovely. :)

Update: Comments appear to now be working. Feel free to do some testing for me.

Last edited:
I wouldn't ask someone to save a charger for me -- first come, first serve. But I would ask another EV owner to let me charge IF they were only topping off. There were other 30amp chargers in the vicinity. Worst case, I would have gone and plugged in at 30 amp, gained some miles, & then switch over to the 70 amp when it became available.

Word of warning for your schedule - you're comparing apples and oranges power-wise. Those "30 amp" plugs are actually 30 amp circuits that only give you 24 amps. The HPC is on a 90 amp circuit, from which you can draw 70A. So it might sound like the 30A charger is about half as fast, but it's actually 3X slower.

Yep, agree. I was trying not to delve into the 'but that really means' part. Using something other than an HPC was 'worst case'. I haven't had to charge on anything but 70amp (this trip). And of course I'd plug into any outlet while waiting for the HPC --even if I only add two miles, that's two miles.

Yep, agree. I was trying not to delve into the 'but that really means' part. Using something other than an HPC was 'worst case'. I haven't had to charge on anything but 70amp (this trip). And of course I'd plug into any outlet while waiting for the HPC --even if I only add two miles, that's two miles.

If you have to wait anyway, 2 miles of charge is infinitely more than not charging at all. ;)