Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster HVAC Overheating Problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cooling system can cool the cabin or the battery, but not both at the same time. ...
The battery cooling is automatic, not needing you to do anything from the cabin. Nor would doing stuff in the cabin change that, unless you have an OVMS module installed. (I don't, so not sure exactly what the options are...)

Thanks for the info :)

The cooling system can cool the cabin or the battery, but not both at the same time. As you drive on a hot day with the cabin cooling on, you may hear a soft click and notice that the cabin will start getting a bit warmer for a few minutes, then another click and feel it cooling off again. In between, it's cooling the battery.

The battery cooling is automatic, not needing you to do anything from the cabin.

I think this is mostly true but it seem to me the AC unit can cool the battery and cabin but battery takes priority. So you get reduced cooling rather than no cooling in the cabin. To many it may feel the same.

There is one solenoid valve for the cabin A/C, the other is for the battery chiller. They are independent of each other. The cabin one is controlled by the HVAC controls and does not shut off when battery cooling is requested. It gives reduced cabin cooling due to the undersized system. When the battery coolant temp starts to drop, the cabin cooling slowly returns. This is due to the liquid to liquid heat exchanger for the battery being a lot more efficient at transferring heat than the liquid to air HVAC evaporator. The system may be designed to shut off the cabin solenoid if the battery gets extremely hot, but I have never been able to verify that.

Last night I charged the car on 10A at a friend's house after a sedate 120 mile drive. I got the over pressure warning almost immediately. I noticed that the battery temp rose to 40 deg C during this charge.

On the way home I stopped half way and plugged into a 60A charging station. I didn't see any warnings during the hour it was charging but the pressure rose into the 20+ bar zone when cooling came on. When the pump isn't running it is about 7 to 8 bar.

When I got home I triggered a cool down charge via OVMS. Watching the diagnostic screens I saw pressure go to 24 bar and the pump rpm go below 2000.

At start of 60A charge:

20160717_133024.jpg

At home on cool down:

20160717_155918.jpg

The ramp up to 100% from the pump takes up to 10 seconds. No idea if that is normal.

I just received the following from the local SC.

Just following up from your email regarding the over temperature alerts we have managed to pull logs and check these. We understand that you are running the car in debug mode and normally this wouldn’t be something that would show up. Speaking with a few people they are of the opinion that the issue is the car being debug mode if this was switched off and car ran for a while this would clear. Failing this we will need the car in to carry out basic checks to the AC system, leaks check regasing the system and checking the condenser fan operation. Looking at the records We can’t see a note regarding an AC service or re-gas? Let us know what you would like to do.

Well if the car isn't in debug mode I'm pretty sure the debug messages would clear.

As for AC service and proper battery cooling operation, is this not a fundamental item to check during the annual service?

Yep, that's what I thought too.

I'm a bit concerned that the best they can come up with is turn off debug messages. That's like taking the bulb out of the warning light.

Can anyone say for sure if these checks are on the annual service schedule?

Thanks - actually going back to the start of the thread to the part that was merged I can see that the answers are there.

My resting pressure of around 8 bar is obviously way too high.

So I guess this is the problem described in the service bulletin SVC-10-18-007. I'm thinking I should just quote that back at them.

Furthermore, after a discussion earlier today, I learned that regassing of the system should have been done at least on a biannual basis as part of the service schedule. Can others confirm that?

My understanding now is that when the car throws the HVAC compressor over temp / over pressure warning, the compressor shuts down. Therefore the battery is only being cooled by the liquid cooling circuit. If true, this might explain the 40 deg C battery temps I've been seeing even during low charge currents.

Checking the A/C system is included in the annual service. I can't find the list of things they are supposed to do right now but it's a long list and the A/C is definitely included. You are correct that your battery won't be cooled properly if it's over-charged. Turning off debug mode won't fix that.

If you check the pressure at 25C with the system turned off you have to let it rest for a while. I'm not sure how long but I would guess an hour or two. Right after it shuts off it will still be well above 5 bar.

• Informative
Reactions: dpeilow
I checked my two annual service service invoices and in January 2016 they performed a 48000 mile / 4 year service, which has:

Tesla cooling.png

Now, does this mean just the battery water / anti-freeze coolant or the whole system including the refrigerant?

In January 2015 they did a 12000 mile / 1 year service and that doesn't mention anything about cooling.

The coolant I think just means replacing the propylene glycol green fluid that goes through the battery. After about 6 years it will begin to foam causing coolant loss. Now when they perform the annual servicing they have drained and refilled my freon. A separate and different system.

Yep. But the maintenance checklist above specifically says to evacuate and refill refrigerant charge every year on a 1.5 and every second year on a 2.x.

As I was billed for a 4th year service I presume they (should have) preformed this.

Strange then that the earlier email following my enquiry claims there is no record of having done it.

And interestingly my glycol coolant does foam up when the pump starts, despite that apparently having being replaced at the same service (on the invoice).