Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Battery Coolant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whoa. Hadn't even seen this thread - but received a pm from another Roadster owner, very concerned about what he was reading:

I totally agree.

Just to clarify my position. I only shut my cars down if they don't go to "sleep" after several hours, after the battery has had time to stabilize from any use. Thermal runaway during non-use (charging is a use) occurs from a defective cell internally shorting and absorbing its charge. The heat generated eventually melts the cells internal insulation and boom. If any Roadster had ever had any slight hint of this problem, it would rapidly become a "brick", as the balancing system can't keep up with even one minor self-discharging cell. All these cells are at least 5 years old, so any internal manufacturing defect would have been discovered by now (hence the warrantied batteries). About the only thing that can happen during non-use on these cells that can cause thermal runaway is physical damage. Even if you were able to abuse one cell to a point that it would start to self discharge at a higher than normal rate (the process would start small), the heat would get absorbed into the stagnant coolant and the rest of the sheet. And then you would soon have a "brick". I look at my battery brick voltages every time I shut the car down. The same brick always has the lowest reading, but always within .05 volts. While the Tesla solution is the safest way to deal any problem, I feel it is overkill, causing power waste and pump wear.

Here's the archived thread, with full discussion, about the water pump: That Little Water Pump

From reading the thread, my bet for the reason running the coolant pump when temps are hot (but AC is not running), i.e. it so hot outside the cells closest on the outside of the ESS might be hotter than the rest. So better cell life across all cells.
... or just an effort to try to keep the whole pack at uniform temp so that the cells age evenly.

Agreed, the cells aren't going to burst into flames if the pump isn't circulating - to call it a "ticking time bomb" is hyperbole. These cells are normally tested at 60C (140F). Ambient temperatures aren't a problem unless you're storing the car in a metal shipping container parked in Baghdad.

The purpose of the circulating pump is to equalize the temperature across cells to extend the life of the pack. Tesla referred to the Roadster pack as "The Most Coddled Automotive Battery Ever". Shutting down the circulating pump might let some cells get a few degrees warmer than others, but it won't cause the pack to explode.

Whoa. Hadn't even seen this thread - but received a pm from another Roadster owner, very concerned about what he was reading:

Bad, very bad idea. He's shutting down the APS / Whole power system of the Roadster when it sits overnight and temps are above 90F. He asked a question of why is Tesla running the pump all the time... Well one thing I can say is that lots of investigation was put in there by Tesla to find the safest, least annoying way to manage that battery pack and one of the reasons was to prevent thermal runaway fires of the battery!!! Now he's shutting down the whole system, coolant can't flow and distribute the heat, heat pockets on bricks now will build up, the HVAC system can't run when it needs to if temps get above 104F, and essentially this is a ticking time bomb!

I totally agree.

Would that be from wiztecy?

Just FYI for those in the Bay Area: I found Peak Sierra PEG anti-freeze/coolant at the Napa Auto Parts store on 800 Vallejo St in Napa. $16.99 compared to over $100 on Amazon.com. Nice to have some around for an occasional top-off in between services if needed. I could not find it anywhere else in the Bay Area. They have more in stock right now but are not sure they will re-order it....

Ace Hardware has recently started carrying Peak Sierra, though it isn't in many of the stores yet.

I asked my local Ace Hardware if they could get it, and it just came in this week. They say it has been selling quite well, so they will continue to stock it.

Check here for availability near you: Sierra 1 Gallon Antifreeze-Coolant (SEP003) - Engine Antifreeze - Ace Hardware

If it isn't in any of the local stores, it's worthwhile to ask.

After 6 years my coolant was very foamy and was leaking out. Due to the leak I had the service center check it and while they did not find a problem they did change the coolant. And no more foaming. So my learning was that it appears we need to change the coolant every 6 years or so. I think my owners manual says to change every 4 years. And I can buy it at my local NAPA store, I forget the price but did not seem crazy, somewhere around $15/gal.

Has anybody had any luck finding a source of Propylene Glycol antifreeze (Peak Sierra or the Havoline Extended Life antifreeze Coolant-PG (XLC-PG) listed in the user manual)?

I'm not finding it from anyone reputable online, with the possible exception of Walmart.com.

Has anybody had any luck finding a source of Propylene Glycol antifreeze (Peak Sierra or the Havoline Extended Life antifreeze Coolant-PG (XLC-PG) listed in the user manual)?

I'm not finding it from anyone reputable online, with the possible exception of Walmart.com.
I was able to order it from my local ACE hardware store about a year ago. They had an excellent price, too.

I spoke with tech support at Old World Industries, makers of the Peak brand. They say that Propylene Glycol is in short supply from its base manufacturer - Dupont. They say that no Propylene Glyclol - based antifreeze is currently being manufactured.

However, I was able to order some online from Walmart.com. Even better, it is supposed to be available for pickup this Monday quicker than the original delivery date of Friday.

I, personally won't buy it from Amazon or ebay due to their constant selling of counterfeit goods, especially when genuine products are in short supply . This is even more applicable when it is for a fragile, rare, $100K+ classic piece of history such as our Roadster. Walmart isn't great but at least they claim to accept some responsibility for the products they sell.