Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster as daily driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2.0 since the first of the year (6 mos), and being in drought-stricken California, I use it as my "fair weather driver", i.e., most of the time. Commute to work is 25 mi and 1,000 ft elevation change. I get 4hrs of charging free at my employer, so charge it up there, go a round-trip, and fill it up again the next day. Only need to suck electrons at home on occasion for other trips. Very nice. I haven't taken it out in the rain yet, mostly so that I don't have to wash it so often. You will want to keep it looking its best, because you will be getting noticed by other drivers. Consider investing in the "glass top" from Visium for the winter season.

But, yes the annoyances. Besides the ones mentioned, the car isn't great on really really hot days (upper 90's and above), when it's too hot to take the top off. I find that the AC is quite adequate for the cabin, UNTIL the battery starts heating up, then it switches to cool the battery. Noticable change in cabin temp as a result; though it is intermittent, it's noticable. San Jose shouldn't be too bad in that department, being flat and a bit cooler than here, but don't be surprised when it happens. My circulating pump now runs 24/7 because the average temp is high enough that it never quite sleeps all the way. That costs some battery power, but not significant over the course of a few days (a weekend, say). I'm also watching the tires wear; they're not cheap, and apparently wear out often (my ICE's tires are good for 5x to 10x the mileage). Reliability of the car itself has been rather poor, but I think the issues were latent in the car when I got it, and have been addressed by the service center, which does an excellent job. Hopefully I'm good for the rest of the year now.

In spite of the annoyances, I find it is both fun and comfortable to drive. My only regret is not buying it sooner.

wrapping back to getting in and out of it, after years of driving my dads 72 MG (he still thinks I have driven it twice to this day HA!!!) I dont think that part would be a issue for me. Love the small car snug to the road feel of that thing.

Wow everyone, thank you so much for the responses! Given everything I've heard, I'm less concerned about battery degradation, and more concerned about mechanical reliability. If anyone has strong opinions about this, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise I'm moving forward with buying the Roadster!

Wow everyone, thank you so much for the responses! Given everything I've heard, I'm less concerned about battery degradation, and more concerned about mechanical reliability. If anyone has strong opinions about this, I'd love to hear them. Otherwise I'm moving forward with buying the Roadster!

The big mechanical problem on my car has been the air cooling system (blower, duct work), which I've documented here (Error code #1111? (My roadster is still needy)). The last fixes appear to have worked (no alarms since), so after all the dust has settled, the sum total of the issues comes down to a burned connector contact on the cable that drives the blower, and leaky gasketing around the blower system (not sure exactly where). Looking at the logs, I see the same errors going back a few years, so this problem probably came with the car when it was built. They are, after all, built by hand, so each has its own personality.

Other than that, the car has been mechanically quite sound. Ok, maybe "sound" isn't quite right, as all Roadsters have their share of creaks and rattles, but even with the warning faults, it has never left me stranded. My battery, after about 32k miles, does a standard charge to 174 miles, and range charge to a bit over 200 (212?).

Of course, this is a slightly biased set of opinions, but if you find a nice one, go for it!

I had my roadster since febuary
And i use it as daily driver. Take it work every day now under the sommer. Yesterday it was on a trip on 290km + to the shop and home 20 km (approx. 195 mies on on day)
And i have make more than 1100 km since bought it

I've been driving my 2.5 almost every day for just over 4 years. I couldn't ask for a better experience! Here in VT we get some nasty weather with snow and ice and we live on a dirt road for half the year. I have about 36k on the odo and std mode charge to about 176. Originally thought I'd sell it when we got a Model S, but noooo way! I've taken some serious road trips and find them to be a fun adventure. I would like supercharging but it won't happen.

26k+ miles on my 1.5. Been my daily driver since I bought it in January. Still love it :)
Though I have noticed a bit of anxiety while driving it compared to my old Geo Prizm because I don't care if I scuff up the Geo, but I'm protective of the Roadster. I get nervous when others on the road behave irresponsibly...

Thank you all so much for your help! I'm now the proud owner of a 2008 Roadster, VIN 5YJRE11B781000117. It has 4,300 miles, and a new battery pack installed in 2011. I'm taking delivery this coming Thursday, and I CAN'T WAIT!

00i0i_3TMHpjY7L4P_600x450.jpg