Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian Trip Report with Driver+, Autopilot Competitor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally went on a longish trip with my wife's R1S Rivian SUV, driving from San Diego to Big Bear Lake. I was keen to test out Rivian's Driver+ lane keeping system comparing it to Tesla's Autopilot on the freeway.

Once I got onto a divided highway (15N in CA), I turned on the Driver+ lane keeping. The system worked great. Very, very few nags compared to a Tesla. I think it senses hand pressure on the steering wheel, so no need to jiggle it every few miles. The few times I had both hands off for a significant amount of time, the reminders were gentle, yet immediately obvious (unlike Tesla, in both respects). The actual lane keeping/driving was rock solid. No weaving, it handled enlarged lanes (like when merging) well, and I was running it at 82 MPH, even around sweeping turns. No false stops or slow downs, worked perfectly.

The user controls were really easy and intuitive including the graphics shown. Unlike my Model X with no stalk, there are numerous buttons and roller wheels to control all aspects of the lane keeping. On the Rivian, the right button/wheel complex has a roller wheel surrounded by 2 buttons. You use the roller wheel to set follow distance (and a nice graphic shows you where you are in your choice selection on the center console). Left and right buttons set speed.

Now, it has limitations compared to Tesla. It doesn't do lane changing, so if you want to lane change, you've got to turn off Driver+ (press up on stalk to turn it off, press it down twice to turn it on). It also won't take you through a freeway to freeway interchange. But it nicely warns you ahead of time that it'll be disengaging for the interchange. Likewise when your lane merges, it warns you ahead of time of the merge. Also, there were sections on the 215 that didn't support lane keeping, and thus I had to back down to TACC where the car did traffic aware cruise control and I did the steering. I don't know why, maybe because some sections of the 215 were under construction.

And, of course, it won't work on non-divided highways (which wasn't a big deal for me since those were twisty mountain roads anyways).

After about three OTA software updates, the Rivian R1S finally has a nicely tuned suspension. It drove great on the twisty mountain roads with single pedal driving (ironically, coming from a Tesla, I have to back down regen to mid-range since the highest setting is TOO aggressive for me, mid-range is approx equal to my Model X).

Oh, and the battery. I arrived at my condo with 35% charge after starting at 100% - this is about what my 2022 post refresh (with yoke) Model X LR does. And that's with the range gobbling 20" AT tires - people have been saying that you can get up to 10% more range with the Rivian road tires.

Rivian_R1S,_Howard_Ave,_Burlingame_3.jpg

"Rivian R1S, Howard Ave, Burlingame 3" by Mliu92 is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited:
Addendum: Coming back down off the mountain. Rivian appears to have a battery management design flaw. It didn’t take too long driving down the mountain at low 50s temperature for regen to be restricted. Many others in the Rivian Owners Forum have noticed the same thing. It basically can’t regen down a mountain without yo yo ing from full regen to partial to no regen.

I personally think this is due to Rivian’s unique thermal plate which cools or heats two different battery layers (Rivian stacks two battery layers together with a single thermal plate between them). I suspect the bottom layer with cold air streaming across it stays cold, while the top layer attached to the cabin gets overheated by the regen and the plate heating being done to keep the lower battery at a temperature level where it can accept maximum regen. The two layers are fighting each each other over optimum temperature since they share a common thermal plate. This is also probably the reason why Rivian’s show yo yo ing behavior when fast charging in cold temps.

Also, I ended up driving directly into the setting sun for a while and the Driver+ simply would not work stating too much glare. Does Autopilot have this problem? Other than that stretch, Driver+ worked flawlessly the way back with ZERO nags since it has a hand sensor on the wheel, no wheel jiggling needed.

Rivian autopilot alternative behaves same as all normal manufacturers implementation?

I mean: you enable drive+, you then press turn indicator, it let's you to change lane and then automatically re-enables itself?

Also, I think there's no these stupid bing bongs?

Also, I ended up driving directly into the setting sun for a while and the Driver+ simply would not work stating too much glare. Does Autopilot have this problem? Other than that stretch, Driver+ worked flawlessly the way back with ZERO nags since it has a hand sensor on the wheel, no wheel jiggling needed.
Yes, tesla has same. For like 4 months every time you drive, due to sun azymuth, yiu get camera blocked messages. Also AP speed reduced messages

Rivian autopilot alternative behaves same as all normal manufacturers implementation?

I mean: you enable drive+, you then press turn indicator, it let's you to change lane and then automatically re-enables itself?

Also, I think there's no these stupid bing bongs?
AFAIK, it does not auto re-enable itself. You have to turn it on again.

Further update after another long drive.

First, the Driver+ isn't perfect afterall. On two stretches of the 405 freeway, they have vertical caution sticks all in row about 4 inches outside of the left yellow lane marker in the HOA lane. The Rivian autopilot mistakes these caution sticks for the lane marker and thus drove dangerously close to them. This is a similar to a perception fault Telsa AP had like 6 years ago.

Also, the 405 is a mess of construction and the Driver+ would go in and out of enablement. Maybe 60% of the 405 was usable with Driver+. Finally, on the 73, the system turned off due to "Toll Booths Ahead" for about 4 minutes of driving. The toll booths were removed 10+ years ago.

It seems the system relies on out dated maps to figure out which sections it can drive and which ones it can't.

The 5 from the 73 into San Diego drove perfectly.

Finally, the navigation maps system leaves a lot to be desired. It gave me a non-optimal route for one of my trips (google maps had a better one), and the UI is kinda awful. It defaults to a very zoomed in view, which isn't useful and if you zoom out, then it doesn't move the map when you drive out of it.

Luckily, all these issues are one OTA software update away from getting fixed.

I have an early Cybertruck reservation and I just placed a reservation for the Rivian R1S. I'm leaning towards the Rivian since I'm not really a truck person (never had a pickup truck) and appreciate the large SUV. I'd be replacing an old Land Rover Discovery which is similar. (My wife absolutely hates the Cybertruck appearance but likes the Rivian... an important factor).
My daughter bought a R1S a few months ago and she loves it. I haven't driven it but it looks good.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
I have an early Cybertruck reservation and I just placed a reservation for the Rivian R1S. I'm leaning towards the Rivian since I'm not really a truck person (never had a pickup truck) and appreciate the large SUV. I'd be replacing an old Land Rover Discovery which is similar. (My wife absolutely hates the Cybertruck appearance but likes the Rivian... an important factor).
My daughter bought a R1S a few months ago and she loves it. I haven't driven it but it looks good.
The R1S sure seems like a perfect fit for your situation.
It seems with you in CA that you'll have good access to service centers as well.
IFb33XM.jpg

The R1S sure seems like a perfect fit for your situation.
It seems with you in CA that you'll have good access to service centers as well.
IFb33XM.jpg
Yes, the West Sacramento service center is convenient (plus, my son in law works in W. Sac. so it's easy for him to access). Looks like they will be adding a SC in Sparks, NV (ne Reno) so that would be really easy for me.
RAN chargers in Truckee are convenient but I have home charging so not necessary.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200