Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rhythmic rubbing/griding noise from brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it's not a pebble ;)

M3 performance with 10k miles. Any time the car is moving, I can hear a grinding, or rubbing noise from my front driver's side. I can hear it from inside the car while driving if it's quiet, but it's of course much more noticeable with the windows down, driving near things that reflect the sound. Definitely loud enough to draw attention. While none of the rotors show complete brake pad contact (like most pictures I've seen of other teslas), this one is "streaky":

50147749376_f432dad617_k.jpg

The noise used to be pretty consistent, but now it's rhythmic, kinda like the rotor's warped a bit. Which shouldn't be the case, since I rarely even use the brakes, and definitely don't track the car or anything like that.

I've taken the caliper off and inspected the pads to make sure there wan't any debris, and added some lube to the pins the pads ride on. I've tried hitting the brakes hard a few times to cut through the corrosion, and I've also pushed back the dust guard and nothing fell out.

Does this sound like a warped rotor, damaged brake pads, or something else entirely? And with only 10k miles on the car, most driven with regen braking, does this seem like something defective or normal wear and tear? (i.e. I don't think I should have to pay Tesla several hundred $ to fix this)

Reactions: Zoomit
You issue is self inflicted but it’s a cheap fix. You don’t have wrap rotor. You have corrosion from lack of use, which you have already pointed out. You need just toss efficiency out of the window for couple days drive with low regen. Or google brake bedding process, then run couple cycle of that until the rotor is clean. Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: mcbarnet007