Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nasty scraping sound. I'm not sure if I need new front brakes...???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been reading that the M3 usually doesn't need brakes until up to 100k miles due to the use of regen braking (which I religiously use—I almost never step on the brakes), so I'm wondering why the hell I'm getting a nasty scraping sound coming from the front end every time I leave in the morning. The car only has 40k miles.

I read on the forums that the scraping noise is likely due to rust buildup on the rotors, and that a very firm jam on the brakes should fix the noise. So two days ago, I JAMMED on the brakes going down my road, and unfortunately, I still heard the noise yesterday morning. I also read it could be a small rock jammed somewhere, but it can't be that because this only happens in the mornings at low speeds.

This is straight from Tesla:

"A wear indicator is a thin metal strip attached to the brake pad that *squeals* as it rubs against the rotor when the pad wears down."

But this is more of a scraping/scouring sound. It's definitely NOT a squeal. And it's not constant, either—it's like an on and off scraping sound as the wheels turn, and I only notice it when I leave my house in the morning at low speeds...it's very loud and embarrassing and lasts for quite a while down the road as I slow down and pull away from a stop.

So if it's not the wear indicators, what else can I try to do to mitigate the noise??

TIA!

Brake pad wear indicator will only sound when applying brakes. It does not sound like that is it, particularly if it occurs with turning. Moreover, this is not a routine problem you are describing. Best to take it to service to have it looked at.