Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RFID Problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park in a garage that uses an RFID tag for entry and exit. It is read by a transponder above the car when the car is stopped underneath it. Today for the very first time I took the MS to the garage and discovered that the transponder would not read the tag when it was inside the windshield. I had to open the sunroof and wave the tag with my hand sticking out. Very embarrassing given that cars were piling up behind me waiting for the gate to open.

Is the MS RF proof?

Yes it is. You have to put the transponder where the black dots are on the windshield by the rear view mirror. You may have to play with placement to get it to work and even then, YMMV on finding success inside the car.

Mine works just to the right of the rear view mirror mount where the black dots are (does not work on the left). Even then, it occasionally fails to read.

The entire windshield is IR coated for UV protection, which has an unfortunate side effect of blocking transponders. Tesla did fix the issue for a while by not coating the area around the rearview mirror mount, but autopilot rolled around and took up all that space for the forward facing camera.

Yes it is. You have to put the transponder where the black dots are on the windshield by the rear view mirror. You may have to play with placement to get it to work and even then, YMMV on finding success inside the car.
I moved mine around for a few weeks, taping it to the windshield until it was working 100%. On my AP prepared car the exact spot is high on the right side of the mirror, with a single line of black dots above it. From lots of discussions I know the precise placement does vary, so I suggest taping your RFID in place and move it around until it works as nearly perfectly as it will. There are now quite a few cars that have blocking. One place to look at the list of most of them is on the website for Sunpass Welcome Florida Visitors!. If there are other vehicles in your garage that have similar problems you might ask for externally mounted transponders, which eliminates the reception issue. Luckily for me, the right hand of mirror placement works perfectly. That is not assured, though, because there is a vast variety of external readers which vary greatly in their effectiveness. In my building all the readers were replaced because there were so many mercedes, BMW and others that had reading problems.