Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reverse with mirrors folded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2m long choke point in my driveway that would require me to drive straight with mirrors folded. Going forward is no problem, but on reverse I’ll have to do it with mirrors folded. Do you think it’s s possible to rely on the side mirrors? Or possible at all?

Here is what the model 3 manual says about folding mirrors:

==================================================

Folding Mirrors​

To manually fold and unfold exterior mirrors (for example, parking in a narrow garage, tight space, etc.), touch Controls > Fold/Unfold Mirrors.
When you manually fold the mirrors, they remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h) (or until you manually unfold them by touching Controls > Unfold Mirrors).

Note
You cannot fold a mirror when driving over 31 mph (50 km/h).
To set the mirrors to fold automatically whenever you exit and lock Model 3 touch Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Fold. The mirrors unfold automatically when you unlock Model 3.
You can also set mirrors to fold automatically whenever you arrive at a specific location, which saves you from having to manually fold them each time you arrive at a frequented place. To set this up, stop at the location you want to save (or drive at less than 3 mph (5 km/h)), and fold the mirrors. Save Location appears briefly below the Fold Mirrors control. Touch again if you no longer want mirrors to automatically fold at the location.
Note
When you leave the saved location, mirrors remain folded until your driving speed reaches 31 mph (50 km/h), or until you touch Controls > Unfold Mirrors.
CAUTION
Mirrors may not automatically fold if you return to a saved location and are driving faster than 3 mph/5 km/h.
Note
You can override the automatic folding/unfolding of mirrors at any time (for example, Model 3 has no power) by pushing the mirror assembly away from you to unfold, or pulling it toward you to fold.
Note
If you expect ice to accumulate when Model 3 is parked, turn off Mirror Auto Fold. Accumulation of ice can prevent exterior side mirrors from folding or unfolding. See Cold Weather Best Practices for information on how to ensure your mirrors function properly in cold weather.
You can integrate auto-folding mirrors with HomeLink (see Smart Garage). To enable, go to HomeLink > Auto-Fold Mirrors when Nearby.

If you have EAP, you could summon the car out from the garage! We actually did that with our Model X back in 2017 when we first got it. We have a single car garage and the MX is pretty huge. The side mirrors are set to autofold at Home so the car could get in and out. My wife was afraid to back the car out for the first 3 months. So, she would summon it out every time. After a few months she was zipping in and out the garage like a race car driver. Backing out of the garage is super easy if it is straight. And back in 2017, side cameras were not displayed on the screen when backing out. So the side cameras, it should be a cake walk.

I have a 2m long choke point in my driveway that would require me to drive straight with mirrors folded. Going forward is no problem, but on reverse I’ll have to do it with mirrors folded. Do you think it’s s possible to rely on the side cameras? Or possible at all?
Yes, it is.
It takes longer for the side cameras to come online, so you better not be in a hurry. Ever.
If anyone else drives the car, or if you ever get distracted/absent-minded, you will eventually back out of the car with the mirrors unfolded, and will tear them out. It's just a function of time.
My wife did that a few times in my other wider car. After replacing 2-3 side mirrors, I got the hint, and paid to expand the width of her side of the garage by an extra foot. Problem solved for good.

YMMV,
a