Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F4LSMtWXAAAklEP

I am quite puzzle about the need of the Model 3 Highland update:

The Model 3 needs a heavy pricecut compare to the Model Y
but also with the coming Model 2 (certainly cheaper than the Model 3 and probably hatchback),
the Model 3 Sedan seems to be in an awkward situation.

Also one really drawback for the Model 3 is to be a sedan while all the other competitors EVs are hatchback, and more practical.

So is it just a style revamp or is there real fundamental change who will make the Model 3 again competitive?

Last edited:

but also with the coming Model 2 (certainly cheaper than the Model 3 and probably hatchback),

Also one really drawback for the Model 3 is to be a sedan while all the other competitors EVs are hatchback, and more practical.

So is it just a style revamp or is there real fundamental change who will make the Model 3 again competitive?
The expectation is that there are a lot of lessons learned / cost reductions like castings instead of numerous welded pieces etc.

Those articles are about oversized grilles, not fake grilles. And the mouthless Mr. Anderson meme is a reference to the fake-fake grille of the 3/Y. No one ever mocked the Ford GT40 like that.
I'm not sure what you are arguing about. As far as I know M3/MY does not have fake grilles. They have functioning grille at the bottom front for the radiator cooling.

Keep it competitive and reduce cost of build. Better margins per unit and cushion to reduce prices as necessary. Eventually the Model Y and 3 will be more similar and yield cost savings as they share more parts.

If they can significantly reduce the manufacturing cost of the M3...is there any need for a M2 ?...except as a hatchback variant for the European market

I never understood why the Model 3 was not a hatchback like all the other Tesla?

I guess, the Model 3 design was using the BMW M3 and Audi A4 as template,
(I think remembering that Elon Musk refered those two cars at the time).

Especially considering that Franz von Holzhausen was previously at Mazda when the Mazda3 second generation hatchback was introduced.
Also the first generation Hyundai Ioniq, and other cars like the Toyota Prius at the time, were also hatchback.

The later Tesla Model Y is a hatchback, but was designed as a 7-seat and is much taller and heavier than the Model 3.

Tesla really need a smaller Model 2 hatchback and also a real 3-row type of mini van, cheaper than the Model X.

Those articles are about oversized grilles, not fake grilles. And the mouthless Mr. Anderson meme is a reference to the fake-fake grille of the 3/Y. No one ever mocked the Ford GT40 like that.
The oversized grilles are fake grilles! Walk up to a ICE car with a large grill. Look into the grille, you will notice that either most of it is fake or sometimes even the whole thing is fake (and it takes air only from the bottom, not the grille). This is simply an industry trend that Tesla followed for the Model S, not the other way around!

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Model X has a grill like design element. It has no air flow. Gives the large frontal area some style and "T" Branding.

Avoids some of the Duck Bill styling of the 3&Y.

It is relatively small, dresses up the styling, but has no mechanical or cooling purpose.

The oversized grilles are fake grilles! Walk up to a ICE car with a large grill. Look into the grille, you will notice that either most of it is fake or sometimes even the whole thing is fake (and it takes air only from the bottom, not the grille). This is simply an industry trend that Tesla followed for the Model S, not the other way around!
Exactly, it's just a callback to a time way in the past when powerful vehicles _needed_ big grilles, so big grille implied power.
Engineers got past that issue.
I wish they'd stop having designers lie in ways which cling to what is actually a really crappy past.

I never understood why the Model 3 was not a hatchback like all the other Tesla?

With the existing body shape, the hatchback seam/crossbar would have to cut right thru the rear passenger head space. There are 4 alternatives:
  1. Make it taller, like the Model Y
  2. Make it longer, like the Model S
  3. Make it dorkier, like the Prius
  4. Make it a hot hatch, like the Model 2

With the existing body shape, the hatchback seam/crossbar would have to cut right thru the rear passenger head space. There are 4 alternatives:
  1. Make it taller, like the Model Y
  2. Make it longer, like the Model S
  3. Make it dorkier, like the Prius
  4. Make it a hot hatch, like the Model 2

I don't see the need to have a glass roof:
- It is always covered with a sunsade because of the heat from the sun.
- The front glass above the driver cracked twice because of some gravel, I have to pay twice the $500 deductable.
- The rear glass was broken at the body when when replacing my rear quarter panel.

5. So with a metal roof then you can install a crossbar any where you want and as many crossbar as you want.

Explain now to me how the Kia/Hyundai, the Volvo/Polestar, and even the new Prius
with similar size and shape than the Model 3 can have a hatchback?