Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retiring the "TMC" style and other forum changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Doug,

I think that this is a nice change with the exception of the banner ad now makes content below the sticky threads 929px from the top of the document frame. That is a long way down my screen in order to look at content.

I would love to assist on any CSS or image editing if you would take the help.

Thanks,
David.

I'm not very good at this sort of thing. But if any forum member is good with Gimp or Paint.Net, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make forum_new-48,png some shade of ... Tesla red, perhaps? Then it would just be a matter of renaming the old icon and uploading the new one.
View attachment 8898View attachment 8899
forum_new-48 copy2.png
forum_new-48-copy3.png
forum_new-48-copy4.png

Here are 3 different .png formats/sizes. I like the first one but the next two are more web-optimized. If these don't work, tell me what will :)

Hmm.. switching back to my PC, I see that it renders the icons slightly differently than my Mac. On the Mac in Photoshop, or Firefox there is a clear difference between the 3 formats I sent. On the PC they look the same, despite having a nice graphics card. Lame. Maybe it's just a Window's 8 thing.

Not that it matters since this doesn't look to be needed anymore :)

...now makes content below the sticky threads 929px from the top of the document frame. That is a long way down my screen in order to look at content.
Come on, it's not that bad. There were much more annoying options. At only an additional 90px on the top of the page, sounds like the problem is too many stickies or a broken scroll wheel. :)

Lol.. I just looked at the icons actually in use. I think they've been updated already with something different. Oh well, it took like less than a minute to make those, so no loss :)
?? I haven't changed anything.

Hmm.. switching back to my PC, I see that it renders the icons slightly differently than my Mac. On the Mac in Photoshop, or Firefox there is a clear difference between the 3 formats I sent. On the PC they look the same, despite having a nice graphics card. Lame. Maybe it's just a Window's 8 thing.
Not that it matters since this doesn't look to be needed anymore :)
On my laptop they all look the same. Could you make the red more inline with the theme? I think I used #7F1000 for much of the header image.

?? I haven't changed anything.

On my laptop they all look the same. Could you make the red more inline with the theme? I think I used #7F1000 for much of the header image.

I can mess with the color easily. Matching is just a matter of iteration until we get what you want. A washed out red like the "New Post" icons is likely what we can get with the semitransparent icon I based it on. A bolder red like the rest of the theme would look different and probably lose some of the 3D look of the original, but I'll see what I can do. And since it is on a Mac it will look different to you, so we'll have to just try a couple of different options.

After seeing the difference between my Mac and PC it seems likely that it renders slightly differently for everyone, with even a brand new home built gaming system doing a worse job of rendering the color than my 6 year old MacBook :cursing: (venting complete)

Umm.. as to what I had *thought* you had changed, I was looking at the "New Post" icons, which are different than the forum icons. Because those were different than what I had changed I assumed you had fixed them, but now I see the icons in question on the main page.

Lets see how this one looks on a PC
forum_new-48 copy7.png

If you like any of these I can also make more web optimized copies.

Not as good of a match as on the Mac.. lets try that again :)

forum_new-48 copy8.png

Ver3

Wow.. looks more purple.. stupid PC

ver 4
forum_new-48 copy9.png

ver6
forum_new-48 copy10.png

ver7
forum_new-48 copy11.png

This is worse than when I used to work matching paint at Home Depot as a teenager :)

See enclosed image :) Seriously, if you would like me to help, I would love to contribute in some way.

View attachment 8908

Probably.. I only knew Photoshop well enough to talk intelligently to Photographers, and haven't really used it in a few years.. mainly I taught Quark as opposed to Photoshop :)

Technically I am matching a multi-color image to a multi-color sample. At some point it's a judgement call by doug as to which he likes :)

Technically I am matching a multi-color image to a multi-color sample. At some point it's a judgement call by doug as to which he likes :)

Plus, on my Mac it looked perfect several versions ago. The color actually changes pretty dramatically on a PC

ver8 with better highlights
forum_new-48 copy12.png

Edit: Well, more highlights I guess :)

Last edited:
Ok, for me at least ver8 in post #28 looks best. I need to get some other stuff done, but I'll check back to see what feedback doug has :)

Edit: also, as I stated before, I can make web optimized copies. The ones in the post are twice the size of the original. PNG-8 or PNG-24 are a little smaller and a little larger than the original.

Last edited:
Heh... I actually spent a lot of time figuring out how to make them bigger to be more in line with the existing TMC style.:tongue: That control isn't one of the pre-existing knobs and you have to write some code to change it. Compare the font size on the "vB4 default" style. Eventually I can make a few style options, but again back burner for the moment.

Overall, it looks pretty nice, and the other enhancements sound great! I'm sure this will be worth it, and thanks!

When you have time to get to back-burner things, I would love to see the same fonts as the "TMC" style come back. Serif fonts are easier to read than the sans-serif in the new style. Also, the thread name and the "started by" font now seem closer in size to one another (and closer to each other physically). Combined with a bit less white space around the text, the overall result is that it's not as easy to read as it was.

+1 on moving the ads to the bottom. Otherwise everything is fine for me. Thanks again for all your work in keeping us going!

This is gonna sound weird, but I've kinda enjoyed the ads on the top the last few days. When they were at the bottom I never saw them, but since the changeover I've seen ads for Mitt Romney, Toyota and Mercedes Benz....each brought a smile to my face seeing them on TMC.

Any chance of getting a "new posts" button at the bottom of the page? I read mostly on a mobile phone, newest posts at bottom, 20 per page and I need to scroll all the way to the top to press the "new posts" button. The "top" button takes to long to repaint the page. Thanks Doug for consideration!

I have noticed words that the poster didn't intend to have links are now getting links that take us to another site; it's a form of advertisement I suppose but its a pain because I am expecting info related to Tesla when I click on the link. Two examples, a poster used the word superchargers and it was linked to a site selling automotive engine superchargers. Another poster was talking about chrome trim and the word was linked to a site selling chrome pieces. Wall mart was another but I figured no poster in his/her right mind would make that link. Just a small *itch. Thanks for all the work you do to make this site a very enjoyable experience.

P.S. Just read my post after posting and it linked words that I didn't intend to link. That's what I am talking about

Last edited: