Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Restrictions on Hong Kong Model S spec

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These restrictions seem severe enough that Model S may not be viable at all in the Hong Kong market.
The 17" touch screen is integral to the car, no way around that at this point.
Cannot be altered or removed without a complete rebuild of the car itself.
Will the HK gov't actually force Model S out of the market?

I don't think it goes that far. The Model S display is 90% those functions so what we won't have is the browser and thats about it. I would say that after the last service I had on my Prius the video player started working.....

Pyetty much confirmed. I posted a photo showing that the web icon has been completely removed from the ui.

Yep. But, still shown as available on the Hong Kong version of Tesla's website:

Model S Features | Tesla Motors

WEB
Stay connected with an Internet browser for news, restaurant reviews and more over the web

I'm pretty sure it will not be permitted, but lets still call it a rumour until Tesla confirms otherwise.

Without web browser, we can't use app like this one:
QuickTesla

Quick Tesla App
(Load QuickTesla or QuickTesla from Tesla Model S Web Browser)
FEATURES
Weather - Current Weather, 8-Day Forecast, & Local Severe Weather Alerts using automatic Geo-location
Radar/Wind - Animated Gifs from Weather.gov & WeatherUnderground.com
News - Top Stories mixed with Tesla News
Charging
PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find the nearest location to charge your electric car! (inside US & Canada)
LEMnet (outside US & Canada)
Stock - Real-Time stock quote
Valet - Valet instructions with multi-language translation support

Read more at Portal App for the Tesla Model S Web Browser - TESLARATI.com

You can always buy a homelink rearview mirror separately.

1-mirror-on.jpg

This one has a Valentine One display imbeded.

Why not have the web browser activate when the car is stopped?

Good idea, Lerxt.

But guys, actually, I won't mind not having browser on Model S. For one thing, it is slow to type on the 17" screen anyway, for another, everyone who is buying a Model S should have at least 1 smart device in Hong Kong, I suppose you have got so used to browsing on the portable one anyway.

Also, Model S only has 3G connectivity, it is a bit slow for browser the web anyway. No idea why they do not come with 4G LTE since Audi A3 and GM are offering 4G too (though maybe not for Hong Kong just yet), let alone that the South Koreans are already working on 5G.

Hacking it though, not recommended.
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/04/12/tesla-model-s-owners-hack-their-cars-find-ubuntu/

You can always buy a homelink rearview mirror separately.
Good idea, Lloyd. My 2nd generation Rav4EV has the homelink on the rearview mirror. It works great. I didn't know I can get one on the market.

But guys, actually, I won't mind not having browser on Model S. For one thing, it is slow to type on the 17" screen anyway, for another, everyone who is buying a Model S should have at least 1 smart device in Hong Kong, I suppose you have got so used to browsing on the portable one anyway.
They should allow use of blue tooth keyboard. For example, my sister uses a chauffeur and therefore, she is not driving and she is always at the back seat. A bluetooth keyboard will be handy.

Also, Model S only has 3G connectivity, it is a bit slow for browser the web anyway. No idea why they do not come with 4G LTE since Audi A3 and GM are offering 4G too (though maybe not for Hong Kong just yet), let alone that the South Koreans are already working on 5G.
As far as I know, my US version P85 has 4G LTE hardware but is not enable.

I was thinking for a while that it's a matter of time until there is some serious accident where a Tesla driver is using the screen for something distractive while driving, and being heads down gets sucked into that 17 inch "TV" - then hitting a pedestrian for instance. Heads Up display would solve that, and would be even better than the centre 17" screen, though that's for a future model, not for the model S in its current version.

I know of other cars where any screens within the drivers view, that can show video or other entertainment, are blanked while in motion, while the typical screens in the back of the headrest (for the back seats), are unaffected.

I hope Tesla will come up with something like this as a solution.

If there was some option where only the front passenger could use the web screen while in motion, that would be great, but I'm not sure how that could be implemented. A privacy screen that prevents view from the right side (for the RHD model), activated automatically when vehicle is in motion AND the web function is enabled?

Too complicated, really, as it was mentioned - most people have mobile devices anyway, so a motion vs parked function would be sufficient I believe.

It's official now. In reply to my question I received following email from Tesla HK:

""""""""""""
Internet Radio will be valid in HK market.
Internet Browser & Google Maps will not be valid in HK market. For the map, it will have a hard drive map (Mainland China & Hong Kong) come with Tech Package.
""""""""""""

Really disappointing not having Google maps. Means no live traffic etc.
At least they leave us the Internet radio.

And here Tesla's HK reply to my question why not at least Google maps:

We understood you are disappointed about google map is not the provider anymore for Hong Kong market. This is the company decision not using google map for Hong Kong Model S. The google map you saw in our demo car is the US spec car.

Can't get it, why they decide like that if it's not a TD requirement. Or could it be, that the maps they are using are better for HK/China than Google ... maybe we should just trust in Tesla :wink:

A hard disc map? That sound poor. There is no way this is going to be good. What about traffic information? What about regular updates. The useful thing about Google Maps is it allows you to search for buildings, other mapping programs don't. Its a bit like the disaster when Apple dropped Google Maps.

They are removing features I confirmed understanding that were included. I will be asking for a discount. This is getting almost too much, UMC, browser, maps, internet, traffic.
So how much refund should we get?

Last edited: