Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Resolved] Help! Having a nightmare at the delivery center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A compromise was reached. They're going to waive a couple of service costs and instead I can use the money to paint them

Annoying since it was a free option but I still love the bugger
878209281141264164a9e856f5b619d0.jpg
e14015729f976024f7f32d3c6398e27c.jpg

Wow!! You really don't like it when people suggest Tesla could do a better job, do you??

So, you are saying that Tesla, by waiting a week, and sending a confirmation email or two, did all it could to ensure the customer's order was correct? Is that your argument? Goodness! Tesla really went out of their way there, didn't they??

You confused me with your question about what I'd say if Tesla had called and confirmed his configuration. That is exactly what I'm suggesting. And if they had done that, and asked him "you can have the red calipers with the other options you chose, at no charge" and he said "No thanks", then it would certainly be on the customer. That's what I was trying to say in my original post above - sorry if I was not clear enough.

I think you're trying to drag this into the political arena with your last statement, but I'm going to let that go since this is a car forum.

I just went through the same process in configuring my X. I went into the Design Studio multiple times - clicked on the 'view your configuration' multiple times - reviewed the emails I received. This is a big purchase for anyone, certainly me. I wanted to make sure what was in the system was what I was intending.

And no, not trying to drag anything into a political arena. I'm saying I own my decisions. I bet the OP feels that way, too. I'd like to see Tesla do something for him, but it will be goodwill if they do. They did not make a mistake here, no matter how hard you try to spin it that way.

I always appreciate when a company is willing to fix my mistakes. But I don't expect them to. And I don't blame them if they choose not to do so. But we all have different ways of living our life.

I know you like to criticize Tesla, but seriously? An email was sent after configuring, giving a week to review and say 'yep, that's my order'. Another email was sent saying 'this is now confirmed' - still time to make a quick phone call. And you're calling this Tesla's fault?

I suppose if someone had called and confirmed his configuration, you'd be blaming Tesla for not saying, 'Really???? You don't want red calipers?'.

Thank god we're not in a nanny state yet and people own their own decisions still, for the most part.

The issue was that I asked the tesla rep about this a thousand times and the configuration changed at the last minute from the 90 to the p90 parrly because of that cosmetic difference. I asked her to check it over and she said it was OK. She told me the cost was free with the spoiler. Yes there's a subtle difference between its free and it's free but you have to select it but the point is she knew I wanted it and could have caught it. No one called to check the reconfigured order at all. It just went in. I'm not asking them to cover a human error on my part, I'm asking them to understand that they had a meaningful role in this issue.

A compromise was reached. They're going to waive a couple of service costs and instead I can use the money to paint them

Annoying since it was a free option but I still love the bugger

Gorgeous! And I'm glad everyone found a way to make this work for you.

- - - Updated - - -

The issue was that I asked the tesla rep about this a thousand times and the configuration changed at the last minute from the 90 to the p90 parrly because of that cosmetic difference. I asked her to check it over and she said it was OK. She told me the cost was free with the spoiler. Yes there's a subtle difference between its free and it's free but you have to select it but the point is she knew I wanted it and could have caught it. No one called to check the reconfigured order at all. It just went in. I'm not asking them to cover a human error on my part, I'm asking them to understand that they had a meaningful role in this issue.

Sounds like they did ... and sounds like you were a reasonable customer to deal with. Sometimes that makes all the difference. Happy driving. :)

I may be wrong but, wouldn't it be a simple job to remove the black ones and install the red calipers after taking the wheels off?

It's just a miscommunication somewhere; Tesla can do this right for the customer and earn more loyalty. It doesn't cost them more than an hour of a tech's time.

Apparently it's $3k to do it and they didn't want to. Crazy since I have an x ressie top and if we hadn't sorted it out I may have cancelled it too.

I know you like to criticize Tesla, but seriously? An email was sent after configuring, giving a week to review and say 'yep, that's my order'. Another email was sent saying 'this is now confirmed' - still time to make a quick phone call. And you're calling this Tesla's fault?

I suppose if someone had called and confirmed his configuration, you'd be blaming Tesla for not saying, 'Really???? You don't want red calipers?'.

Thank god we're not in a nanny state yet and people own their own decisions still, for the most part.

BTW I wasn't disputing the error, it was their attitude the blew me away in a negative way. It sucked.

In reading this thread, I wonder why Tesla just doesn't provide the red calipers as 'included' when the spoiler option is selected. Also, during the configuration check, it could show this as an 'opted out of red calipers'.

Last thought. I wonder what Tesla would charge if the red calipers were installed, but a customer wanted them to deliver the car with the stock ones instead. I also wonder where Tesla draws the line on modifications, particularly when it comes to invalidating the warranty. Painting calipers could be construed as modifying a safety item. Certainly, replacing them with red ones if they are factory Tesla parts shouldn't be a problem, but would Tesla even offer for sale, the red calipers?

Scotty

Wow!! You really don't like it when people suggest Tesla could do a better job, do you??

So, you are saying that Tesla, by waiting a week, and sending a confirmation email or two, did all it could to ensure the customer's order was correct? Is that your argument? Goodness! Tesla really went out of their way there, didn't they??

You confused me with your question about what I'd say if Tesla had called and confirmed his configuration. That is exactly what I'm suggesting. And if they had done that, and asked him "you can have the red calipers with the other options you chose, at no charge" and he said "No thanks", then it would certainly be on the customer. That's what I was trying to say in my original post above - sorry if I was not clear enough.

I think you're trying to drag this into the political arena with your last statement, but I'm going to let that go since this is a car forum.

Um. Tesla delivered exactly what he clicked when he confirmed his order. He thought they were included but they weren't. He had plenty of time to correct this mistake. Besides, it is an easy part to add at this point. It's not like a new car would have to be built as if he thought he had a pano roof but it wasn't on the order.

I sympathize, Nishy (or should it be empathize, since you don't need sympathy :smile:). I was configuring a Mini Cooper S on-line the other day and so many things "auto-changed" I gave up and went in to the dealership. Unfortunately the sales staff seemed to have different answers for my questions. It can be frustrating, but I'm more careful now. Past horror stories with believing the sales staff: My 2000 GTS Viper "will have painted-on silver stripes" acc. to my salesperson and the sales manager, when the car was delivered, no stripes. The car looked great in all black so I was OK with it, especially since I'm not a Raiders fan.

My 2007 Acura TL-S came with a spoiler that I didn't want. "No problem" said the salesman, it's on there with double-stick tape, so we'll just remove it for you". Car arrives with bolted-on spoiler, salesperson "can't remember" telling me he could take it off. After several talks with the manager they took off the spoiler, patched the holes and repainted the car. I ended up footing half the bill.

Bottom line, it's just human nature to believe the sales staff, but we're probably better served to ask: "could you send me an email confirming that my car will come with (or without) ....." If they won't do it, I'd be tempted to ask them on my home phone to repeat what we're expecting and record their answer on my cell phone.

Well, as you see there are people on this forum that defend Tesla at all costs. You know you discussed the red calipers with a human being, and she knew you wanted them. I'm with you - Tesla had the responsibility to make the car you talked to them about and they knew you wanted. But they're using the excuse "you didn't check the box" (even though you did check it - it defaulted back to unchecked and you didn't see it - if I understood you correctly).

On this forum you're going to find yourself in the minority when you argue Tesla messed up. But know that in the real world outside this little forum we're sick of giant corporations running roughshod over the buyer just because they can. Thanks to social media like this forum, Facebook and others, we're starting to gain a powerful voice and let the big companies know we're unhappy. I like it, too!

Help! Having a nightmare at the delivery center

Well, as you see there are people on this forum that defend Tesla at all costs. You know you discussed the red calipers with a human being, and she knew you wanted them. I'm with you - Tesla had the responsibility to make the car you talked to them about and they knew you wanted. But they're using the excuse "you didn't check the box" (even though you did check it - it defaulted back to unchecked and you didn't see it - if I understood you correctly).

On this forum you're going to find yourself in the minority when you argue Tesla messed up. But know that in the real world outside this little forum we're sick of giant corporations running roughshod over the buyer just because they can. Thanks to social media like this forum, Facebook and others, we're starting to gain a powerful voice and let the big companies know we're unhappy. I like it, too!

Please give up on bashing the membership here and painting everyone as mindless zealots which you seem to like to do. Read his first post. It said nothing about speaking with with someone about changing the order which may have reset this option. That came in a later post. Oh, and fight the power!

I didn't know you could get a P90D without the red calipers. The configurator says they're standard with the P85D/P90D.

Tesla Red Brake Calipers

Tesla Red four piston Brembo brake calipers.

Included

Requires P85D