Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for Enhancement: Pedestrian Horn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate the idea of the car always making sounds at low speeds.

I thought you were asking for an attachment to the front bumper that would reach out and paddle offending pedestrians. :tongue:

Nope. But if I can't have a quiet horn for pedestrians, how about something like this instead? Retractable of course so they're hidden away until needed :biggrin:.

Attachments

• car-cadillac-longhorn-1024x550.jpg
    car-cadillac-longhorn-1024x550.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 355
This is a really old thread. But now that more and more people are driving their Model S in the US perhaps you have more views on this?. Would you like your car to emit some sort of gentle sound in some situations in order to warn pedestrians of your presence?

I've been driving EVs for over 10 years and I do find that there are certain situations where I would really appreciate such a function. I live at the middle of a one-way street. The street has no sidewalk and is also used by pedestrians. Sometimes I roll down my window and cough.... At work, there is a gate manned by a security guard which generally does not notice me if he's looking the other way. I have more than once scared the living daylight out of him by using the horn (which makes a sound way too loud compared to my tiny little car ;) He's a humorous guy and always makes a joke about it - but I would like to warn him in a more gentle way)

One of my EVs (the oldest one) are more silent than the other. The vacuum pump for the brake booster in my other car usually makes a sound when I press the pedal - and in most cases this seems to be enough to let my surroundings know I'm there. But how is the Model S? Does it make a sound at all at low speed?

Would be great to be able to make some kind of low MP3 sound of my choice when pressing a certain button-combination on the steering wheel... Perhaps some low beeps in morse code saying . .-.. . -.-. - .-. .. -.-. / ...- . .... .. -.-. .-.. . :tongue:

One of my EVs (the oldest one) are more silent than the other. The vacuum pump for the brake booster in my other car usually makes a sound when I press the pedal - and in most cases this seems to be enough to let my surroundings know I'm there. But how is the Model S? Does it make a sound at all at low speed?

The A/C compressor certainly makes a sound, presumably the brake actuator pump does too (certainly the parking brake does). However, in 250,000 miles of Prius driving, neither Denise nor I have ever needed to warn any pedestrians. I don't expect the Model S to be any different.

Would you like your car to emit some sort of gentle sound in some situations in order to warn pedestrians of your presence?
No. Very definitely no. In fact, I'd like pedestrians to be required to wear squeaky shoes when approaching and using crosswalks so that I can hear them coming. It's only fair since I have to look out for them but not the reverse.

I've seen the need for a pedestrian-friendly horn. I would make it as un-horn-like as possible, though: a driver-selectable way to generate just enough sound to announce my presence to people walking through parking lots, etc.

No. Very definitely no. In fact, I'd like pedestrians to be required to wear squeaky shoes when approaching and using crosswalks so that I can hear them coming. It's only fair since I have to look out for them but not the reverse.

Lol brianman! As a biker (cyclist) who must ride with traffic, I can hear an ICE coming long before actually seeing it...even with a small rear view mirror on my helmet. No comments on mirror please, lol.

A low quiet sound for warning pedestrians when pulling the "flash brights" lever is the perfect solution and should be mandated on all cars.

Exactly what's wrong with this country. Complete lack of self responsibility so lets give a bunch of elected thieves the right to dictate every aspect of our lives.

Stated somewhere here before.... I've already killed a cat, a dog, some iguanas, and several birds..... All while driving my ICE.

You are far more likely to be hit by someone texting, yapping on the phone, or a drunk, then you will ever be by an EV.

Exactly what's wrong with this country. Complete lack of self responsibility so lets give a bunch of elected thieves the right to dictate every aspect of our lives.

Stated somewhere here before.... I've already killed a cat, a dog, some iguanas, and several birds..... All while driving my ICE.

You are far more likely to be hit by someone texting, yapping on the phone, or a drunk, then you will ever be by an EV.

This.
I think all ICE cars should be mandated to be quieter to reduce noise pollution and then pedestrians will just get used to listening for tire noise and the whoosh of air being pushed out of the way. Also pedestrians need to not jaywalk so dang much. It disrupts the normal flow of traffic. Especially because here pedestrians have the right of way no matter what! Don't abuse this please folks!

Since you quoted my post Steve. I'll respond. Problem is, I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not.

If you are. +1 back atcha
If you are not, :(

Sorry... Have to agree to disagree. My libertarian comes out on issues like this. I am soooooooo over big brother deciding what's best for me and you.

Then maybe you misunderstood stood my feature request Steve.

Like you I think that self responsibility is what the driver needs. NO sound coming out of my car by decree. I'm am simply asking for a feature. A tool that I control that will warn pedestrians in parking lots. My car makes no noise.
People walking to their cars don't know I'm following behind them and they just keep walking and walking. What do I do? Roll down the window and yell? *Nudge* them just a little? Honking is obnoxious so my suggestion is what the EV1 did a decade ago. A button (lever) with second quieter horn for letting those clueless ones know I'm there without making them drop their Starbucks.

And yes I think the pedestrian warning horn should be a mandated standard on all cars. This puts the responsibly on the driver and will (hopefully) stop the stupid laws that will put noisemakers on silent cars.

Sorry... Have to agree to disagree. My libertarian comes out on issues like this. I am soooooooo over big brother deciding what's best for me and you.

ON board with this. Somebody make this thread go away!!!!

You know as liberal as Norway is, they totally believe in personal responsibility. Many of their scenic waterfalls have trails that go right up to the edge with no railing. You could just walk off and well, not survive. When asked about it, they'll tell you, we figure people are smart enough to not do that. Well of course... they also don't have a transplant of our lawyers over there either.

At some point we'll have so many annoyances, regulations, safety laws, that I'd rather just walk... or get in a hyper loop.

Good point DSM, my bad... and I'm unusually the first one to jump on that soap box.

This one just riles me though. We have enough noise pollution (let alone other kinds of pollution), that adding noise to this car, we might as well put a motor in, like Fiskar did.