Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Request for Enhancement: Pedestrian Horn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving my wife's Volt I have found the standard pedestrian horn on the end of the turn stalk to be very useful and have used it several times. It is much more "polite sounding" than the standard horn and should be a standard feature on all EVs IMO. Although I have had distracted pedestrians fail to notice my ICE vehicle on occasion it happens much more frequently in an EV. A custom MP3 external sound option would be awesome.

I dunno, I've had someone walk right into the side of my ICE car in the past. If they're oblivious, then they're oblivious.
I wish there was a pedestrian citation that could be used for such situations. A side camera on the vehicle with a video recording would be great for addressing the shallow end of the gene pool.

- - - Updated - - -

seems like I am outnumbered :(
but I do feel that the sound of an ICE will alert more people than would the Model S.. just my thoughts...
Where does it stop? How about people that recognize ICE vehicles by the smell (hard of hearing folk, perhaps)? Do we need to have a pollutant emitter added for those people as well?

- - - Updated - - -

I really like the idea of being able to play MP3s to an external speaker. I can imagine the usefulness of playing a locomotive sound, perhaps a donkey braying, a cat fight, a cattle stampede, a baby giggling, or jet take-off.
All it takes is one person (probably me) to have an MP3 that's says "get the f out of the way you retard" at high volume for the government to standardize on something nobody likes.

I would also really be in favor of a pedestrian alert sound tied to the high beams. I wonder if there's any way for the Model S to make such a sound with current hardware. The horn is software controlled (the security option can make it sound). Perhaps it could be made to blow for a really, really short amount of time -- way shorter than any human could do reliably, and short enough that it wouldn't scare the bejebus out of somebody.

Otherwise, there's the beeper for the power lift gate, but I think that's in the rear of the car, and may only be on the cars that have the power gate...

"for sure"? How can you possibly know that? I've seen that happen in parking lots and parking garages with ICes. I believe you and some others are way overestimating how much people notice . . . and how they notice. It's like distracted driving--distracted walking! ;-) Hearing things doesn't matter if they're not listening.
And 50% of the population seems to live with ear buds permanently implanted now, to the point that they make an aggravated production out of removing one (never two) if obliged to listen to something besides their "tunes" at cortex-damaging db levels (15 min. at 95 db for lab rats).

I really like the idea of being able to play MP3s to an external speaker. I can imagine the usefulness of playing a locomotive sound, perhaps a donkey braying, a cat fight, a cattle stampede, a baby giggling, or jet take-off.

These would just sound like a ring tone and get ignored, IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

Driving my wife's Volt I have found the standard pedestrian horn on the end of the turn stalk to be very useful and have used it several times. It is much more "polite sounding" than the standard horn and should be a standard feature on all EVs IMO. Although I have had distracted pedestrians fail to notice my ICE vehicle on occasion it happens much more frequently in an EV. A custom MP3 external sound option would be awesome.

Since several people have commented that this happens with their ICEs regularly, too, either it's a useful feature that all cars should have, or people should just use the regular horn (as presumably they do in most cars except the Volt or whatever other car has this that I haven't heard of). I've never had a problem with people cursing at me for a quick tap of the horn or anything--a shorter tap usually sounds softer even if it's not, IMHO.

- - - Updated - - -

I would also really be in favor of a pedestrian alert sound tied to the high beams. I wonder if there's any way for the Model S to make such a sound with current hardware. The horn is software controlled (the security option can make it sound). Perhaps it could be made to blow for a really, really short amount of time -- way shorter than any human could do reliably, and short enough that it wouldn't scare the bejebus out of somebody.

Otherwise, there's the beeper for the power lift gate, but I think that's in the rear of the car, and may only be on the cars that have the power gate...

A quick tap on my horn (or my other half's SUV's horn) has never scared anyone. Are people laying on their horn or something? No one's ever cursed us out for a quick tap....

BTW I don't understand your comment re. high beams. So when you turn on the high beams, you want an alert? I use them more on the highway than anything, so I don't understand this. I must be missing something (or just not do as much night driving in dark neighborhoods as you). ;-)

I thought the pedestrian horn on the Volt was silly at first too but must say I use it fairly often. It is nice to have the option of a "friendly tone" when you just want to get someone's attention outside of the car in a non- emergency or urgent situation. Sort of like talking softly or YELLING AT SOMEONE - even it is just a quick tap.

I have been asking for this feature (pull the high beam stalk that flashes your brights to also give a quieter local pedestrian tone) for over a year now. Eveyone at Tesla events I could find. talked to the guy in charge of such things and he said that everything necessary to do this is in the car, circuits, speaker, Switching. Totally do able. It has been on thier laps for a very long time. I even told Franz about the idea as an industry standard for all EVs he also had that "That's a good idea" reaction. All that said, we should just keep asking. It's clearly a good idea, everyone likes it. So with more pressure it should get implemented on later cars (hopefully as a firmware upgrade, not a model change)

This is important. The only pushback I've ever received was being told that that Elon hates noise! I'm of course hoping a pedestrian warning, muted sound will win out as a proactive way of showing EVs are trying to be safe and putting the responsibility and capability to warn others in the hand of the driver, stopping any forced legislation to add mandatory noise to "all electric vehicles". There is already such a Bill in the works.

Lastly, the "Elon hates noise" thing pretty much kills the dreams if those who want MP3 noises coming from thier Teslas. Sorry guys. Aftermarket.

I have been asking for this feature (pull the high beam stalk that flashes your brights to also give a quieter local pedestrian tone) for over a year now. Eveyone at Tesla events I could find. talked to the guy in charge of such things and he said that everything necessary to do this is in the car, circuits, speaker, Switching. Totally do able. It has been on thier laps for a very long time. I even told Franz about the idea as an industry standard for all EVs he also had that "That's a good idea" reaction. All that said, we should just keep asking. It's clearly a good idea, everyone likes it. So with more pressure it should get implemented on later cars (hopefully as a firmware upgrade, not a model change)

This is important. The only pushback I've ever received was being told that that Elon hates noise! I'm of course hoping a pedestrian warning, muted sound will win out as a proactive way of showing EVs are trying to be safe and putting the responsibility and capability to warn others in the hand of the driver, stopping any forced legislation to add mandatory noise to "all electric vehicles". There is already such a Bill in the works.

Lastly, the "Elon hates noise" thing pretty much kills the dreams if those who want MP3 noises coming from thier Teslas. Sorry guys. Aftermarket.

I like the idea. Simple and can address the noise argument.

The mandatory EV noise bill is already law I thought, just hasn't gone through regulations yet to be implemented.

Pedestrian Paddle-option

I live in a very urban area with lots of unaware pedestrians! A future option that I would like to see is a paddle on the steering column much like a paddle shifter that when pulled would emit a whirrrr or some electronic sound that will alert without being loud like a horn. Just the other day I came around the corner in my Lexus (soon to be Tesla!) and a mother and teenage daughter were walking down the middle of my lane oblivious to me coming, when I tapped on the horn I thought they were going to jump out of their skin. I. Must admit that it brought a smile to my face but I got a dirty look as if it was my fault! Like I said this would be an option for owners in urban areas.

Once again my libertarian comes out. It's a road. Not a sidewalk. We are taught look right, left, right.

If some dumbass is living in their iPod world or to busy texting or just has their head up their rear, then any sound won't save them. Darwin's theory will weed them out and protect the gene pool.

I live in a very urban area with lots of unaware pedestrians! A future option that I would like to see is a paddle on the steering column much like a paddle shifter that when pulled would emit a whirrrr or some electronic sound that will alert without being loud like a horn. J.

I assume Tesla will adopt a feature found in the current Chevrolet Volt. If in the Volt you press the end of the control stalk, the Volt emits 3 soft beeps of the horn and 3 flashes of the headlights.