Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renew your EV Road Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s exactly what you want though, as if you renew from 1st March it is at the old rate, if you renew from 1st April it is at the new £180 rate.
Ok, the article mention something in the likes of VED expiring on the last day of the month, ie March, instead of the first, so ML might be mistaken... Mine is essentially expiring on the 28th of Feb...

DVLA (on-line chat) told me that reminders are still sent and a 'last chance' reminder is sent mid month, I did not get the first or the second reminder . . . the question is . . what is most likely:
1. They did not send either reminder
2. The Post Office lost two letters.

I asked DVLA that question, their reply was . . . There is no statutory obligation for the Agency to produce the V11 form. It is the responsibility of the vehicle keeper to ensure that a vehicle is correctly taxed at all times !!

Do
Can I suggest that we all renew our Road Tax today,

If you do this, you can renew at £0 in March next year, just before the tax rises on 1 April 2025.
We know what potential tax charge will be by these absolute shysters
Expect that ulez charge to includenEVs eventually

DVLA (on-line chat) told me that reminders are still sent and a 'last chance' reminder is sent mid month, I did not get the first or the second reminder . . . the question is . . what is most likely:
1. They did not send either reminder
2. The Post Office lost two letters.

I asked DVLA that question, their reply was . . . There is no statutory obligation for the Agency to produce the V11 form. It is the responsibility of the vehicle keeper to ensure that a vehicle is correctly taxed at all times !!
Hard to say.
The DVLA's process around this is pretty mature and automated but there could be some marker or corruption on that record that prevents the reminder being sent.
Nothing to do with the Post Office but It is also more than possible that Royal Mail lost two letters.
You will probably never know unless they turn up one day.

The good news is from next year you can pay by DD and then it will auto renew and you wont have to worry about forgetting :)

Quick sense check please. I renewed late January - so I can renew free next January and then again before end March 2025 (assuming the loophole isn't closed)?

Should I forget the re-renewal back end of March next year, looks like I'd be about £30 out-of-pocket?

Whilst I'm here could some kind soul summarise what is happening with "posh" vehicle tax please? Bit confusing what I've read elsewhere. Is it retrospective or just cars over £40k (new) from next April please? And they nail you for 5 years without taking depreciation into account? Feels more and more like "rip-off Britain" all the time eh?! Cheers.

Expensive Vehicle Supplementary Tax Exemption ends for new EVs registered from 1st April 2025 for 5 rounds of taxation, currently £370 on top of the £180 standard Band A. Newer vehicles registered since 1st April 2021 will also need to pay it.

I would advise re-doing tax for free again between now and 4th April using V5C Document reference online, then no risk of the loophole closing or you not remembering/acting next year. Given the tip has now reached Martin Lewis’ website, the DVLA are bound to notice soon.

Reactions: spon88
Expensive Vehicle Supplementary Tax Exemption ends for new EVs registered from 1st April 2025 for 5 rounds of taxation, currently £370 on top of the £180 standard Band A. Newer vehicles registered since 1st April 2021 will also need to pay it.

I would advise re-doing tax for free again between now and 4th April using V5C Document reference online, then no risk of the loophole closing or you not remembering/acting next year. Given the tip has now reached Martin Lewis’ website, the DVLA are bound to notice soon.
Thanks for the that. Looks like the good days are over. So much for EV incentives. Meanwhile the charging networks also continue to fleece us. Predictable i guess.

By 'it' do you mean the Expensive Vehicle Supplementary Tax?

I can't find anything to say that newer vehicles registered since 1st April 2021 will need to pay this. Just the standard rate Vehicle Excise duty.

.gov.uk: Introduction of Vehicle Excise Duty for zero emission cars, vans and motorcycles from 2025

This says "New zero emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025 will be liable to pay the expensive car supplement where eligible (currently those with a list price of or exceeding £40,000 are liable)." It makes no mention of cars already registered, except for them paying the standard rate.

By 'it' do you mean the Expensive Vehicle Supplementary Tax?

I can't find anything to say that newer vehicles registered since 1st April 2021 will need to pay this. Just the standard rate Vehicle Excise duty.

.gov.uk: Introduction of Vehicle Excise Duty for zero emission cars, vans and motorcycles from 2025

This says "New zero emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025 will be liable to pay the expensive car supplement where eligible (currently those with a list price of or exceeding £40,000 are liable)." It makes no mention of cars already registered, except for them paying the standard rate.
Correct. No one is saying otherwise