Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alberta imposing $200 EV tax starting in 2025

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An EV annual registration fee to pay for road taxes makes sense. $200 though? Seems high.
Pay $200 per year “tax”, but save $2500+ per year on gas. I’m willing to deal with that. Cash flow-wise, you’re still ahead, and making a contribution to save the planet.

EV weight is a red herring, especially AB. Typical pickup weight is around 5000lbs, and there are more pickups out west than just about anywhere else. EV pickups are a bit heavier, of course.

Reactions: cdswm3
~90% of electricity in Alberta is generated from fossil fuels. LR models are still Nickel/Cobalt based... a terrible resource to use with profound effects from those mining them up. Heavier vehicle is tough on tires that lead to microplastics contamination. I'd drop the planet saving claims especially living in AB and stick with saves me fuel cost....for now. Just sayin'.
Pay $200 per year “tax”, but save $2500+ per year on gas. I’m willing to deal with that. Cash flow-wise, you’re still ahead, and making a contribution to save the planet.

EV weight is a red herring, especially AB. Typical pickup weight is around 5000lbs, and there are more pickups out west than just about anywhere else. EV pickups are a bit heavier, of course.

• Disagree
Reactions: megurogawa and SO16
~90% of electricity in Alberta is generated from fossil fuels. LR models are still Nickel/Cobalt based... a terrible resource to use with profound effects from those mining them up. Heavier vehicle is tough on tires that lead to microplastics contamination. I'd drop the planet saving claims especially living in AB and stick with saves me fuel cost....for now. Just sayin'.
1. EVs still far better than gas cars even when using fossil fuels to charge. The pollution difference at end of life while charging from even 100% coal is still much better compared to a gas car.

2. Yes cobalt is used for LR models but none of the “omg save the children” nitwits would give up their cell phones and laptops that have batteries.

3. People point to “heavy” EVs while most of those drivers are driving around in heavy SUVs and pickups. Also, tires are consumed more on EVs not so much because of weight, but because of driving habits and instant torque. When I drive my Tesla similar to how I drove my gas car, the tires last a similar amount of miles. Brake dust from cars that don’t have regen, has quite a bit of dust in the air and is proven that people living next to highways do have more health issues from that.

It’s true that EVs are not “green”. But they are “greener”. The only way to be perfectly green is to walk everywhere in grass moccasins.

That is supper old data from 2019. Only have three coal generators now. Today (11 April) only two are running and supplying only 7% of the grid power and wind is providing 22%. I charge my cars when the sun is up using home solar.

That data is directly from the Canadian government. Take it for whatever you feel to help you sleep. I'm just being honest and call it as it is. I buy an EV not to save the world. I do not view EV with rose coloured glasses. It's cheaper to run and can be fun.