Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Renew your EV Road Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL. Just realised I may have stitched myself up a little here.

Collecting a Y RWD on a Tesla lease at some point this month, and the terms of lease say the lease company will pay the VED, but only at the rate applicable at the start of the lease term, any increase is paid by the Hirer. As long as the '25 changes only take effect on 1st April 2025, then I think I'll get the first two years "free", but after that it'll go to the standard £190/year, and because the list price is over £40k, then I'll also be liable for the luxury car tax too?

LOL. Just realised I may have stitched myself up a little here.

Collecting a Y RWD on a Tesla lease at some point this month, and the terms of lease say the lease company will pay the VED, but only at the rate applicable at the start of the lease term, any increase is paid by the Hirer. As long as the '25 changes only take effect on 1st April 2025, then I think I'll get the first two years "free", but after that it'll go to the standard £190/year, and because the list price is over £40k, then I'll also be liable for the luxury car tax too?
The luxury tax is only due to be applicable to cars registered after 1/4/25 so you should avoid that.

Best time is now
Second best time is next March
Buy a car during the year, do it next March
If you are cautious but miss this March, do it next Feb
When you do it, retax using V5c, don’t renew using the 16 digit code on the renewal
Tried using just the V5C but still come back with from 01st April 2024

IMG_0504.jpeg

So, after taxing my car a week or so ago with the reminder I decided to log on again and tax it using the logbook, What a simple process, ticked No to the question "do you have a reminder". Put the reg num in and the V5 number and it states Tax will start from March 1st - but stated the car was taxed until April 2025 - and you may be paying twice. Confirmed this and now the car is taxed until end of Feb 2025.

clearly chuffed - but why do i feel a bit guilty about doing it?

The government are the ones who should feel guilty about charging zero-emission EVs vehicle licensing tax again. I remember the £310 they asked in my first year (2018) and the whole-month only refund the following year leaving me a further £160 out of pocket. Back when it was new fossil sale ban due for 2030.

Reactions: Doudeau
4 pages in and there doesn’t appear to be any clear consensus… in a sentence, when is the best time to do this?
I renewed both EVs in March so I can renew in March next year for maximum benefit. You could leave it to March next year, but why? as the Government could close the loophole.

So as my starting post on this thread suggests, renew it now and before the end of the month using the V5 reference number method.