Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reliability of HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We sure did. It's monsoon season in Phoenix and I don't have a garage.

My guess is that the two parts need to be swapped, and probably a fuse or two, then you'll be good. It probably looks a lot worse than it is. These guys took the hit so that the rest of the box would be safe. Or at least that's how it's supposed to work.

Good luck!

From Clipper Creek:

"The devices that are blown protect the system just like a surge protector does. There was likely a voltage surge of some sort. I can’t tell if both MOV 1 & 2 are blown. It looks like MOV1 is cracked and blown. MOV2 has carbon blown on it from MOV1 by the looks of it."

They gave me an RMA number. I'm packing up the circuit board and sending it back for repair.

Clipper Creek has excellent customer service.

Give them a call:

ClipperCreek, Inc.
(530) 887-1674

Reactions: dhrivnak
An incidental observation: My Clipper Creek HPWC started buzzing loudly recently. All that "thunking", I guess. Though I did just re-program from 40 to 70 amp capability. In any case, the solution was simple; I simply tightened the screws that hold down the Square D contactor, and presto: no more buzzing. Just in case this happens to someone else....

[QUOTE="sethr, post: 2024459, member: 12985" Though I did just re-program from 40 to 70 amp capability.[/QUOTE]
Please can you explain how you did this ?
Is there a manual / instructions available for resetting capability upto 70amps ? and other useful settings ?
thanks in advance.

There is a programming device that Clipper Creek has. Charlie was kind enough to send it to me. The re-programming is easy. Since you are a bit further away, you might have to send him your circuit board to be re-programmed rather than him sending you the programmer. Here's the contact info:

Charles Douglass
Service Technician
ClipperCreek, Inc.
(530) 887-1674
[email protected]