Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware - Proposed 16 kW Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The public charging stations are 30 amp because that is what the standard was. There was a company that you may have heard of that petitioned the SAE to adopt up to 80 amps.

In the mean time, this company used a 70 amp charge station for their car with a proprietary plug.

Yes, you are being funny, but someone who doesn't understand the details might be confused. There is really a higher power j1772 standard, with the same standard j1772 plug that works on all cars. Cars that have lower capacity chargers (every car except teslas, like leafs, volts, fords ev, etc) can still charge at their maximal rate even if they aren't using all the capacity of the higher power chargers. It used to be that tesla roadsters could not handle > 80 amp chargers, but that problem was finally fixed. Teslas can also use this standard as every model s comes with a converter to j1772 and tesla roadsters have an adapter that most of those owners purchased.

This public charging station should probably use an 80 amp charger. I'm just putting this out there in case say someone from the city council in that town is reading this thread, I wouldn't want them to be confused.

You don't really think they should use a 30 amp j1772 there, do you? There is every reason to use a high power j1772 there.

Last edited:
Here's what I sent:

"I understand that you are currently considering a proposal to allow the installation of public electric vehicle chargers in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. As a resident of the Washington, D.C. area and an electric car owner, I urge you to permit the installation of these facilities.

Electric vehicles are gaining in popularity and acceptance. Long range electrics, like the Tesla Model S, have reached the point where it really is practical to have them as a sole vehicle. Tesla’s expanding Supercharger network, and the efforts in neighboring Maryland to increase generally available public charging options, means that owners can take these cars on much longer trips than they ever have before.

While these en route chargers are helpful, finding a charging option at your destination remains critical. This is especially true in a place like a beach town, where vehicle owners may be staying in rental properties that do not provide access to charging. For someone like me, who uses their electric car as their trip car, whether I can find “destination” charging may be the difference between picking one place over another.

These chargers will thus be a clear benefit to the City of Rehoboth, as they will provide a strong incentive for electric car owners in the Washington, D.C. region and elsewhere to come to (and stay in) the city for their beach vacation.

Finally, to the extent there is any question about what type of chargers to install, I would further urge you to encourage the highest amp J1772-compliant chargers available (meaning 70 amp or above). While only a limited number of electric cars can take advantage of high-powered chargers at this point in time, the battery capacity of new electric cars is only likely to increase. It thus makes sense to “future proof” the installation as much as possible.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions."

Very well stated, JST.

At the initial discussion in May, the commissioners seemed to be split on the idea with Mayor Sam Cooper saying that he thinks the private sector should be providing the stations not the taxpayers. They are currently seeking input from the public and will vote whether or not to install the two charging stations at their August 15th meeting.

My opinion might not count for much, since I am on the other coast, but perhaps someone local should mention that Plugshare shows existing private chargers in the area. The nearby Hyatt has two HPWC, most likely funded partially by Tesla, as they have done at 3 other hotels and lodges that I have stayed at in California. So it is not that the town is getting ahead of the curve. Building up the charging infrastructure needs to be a public-private partnership. WA and OR have stepped up to this with good use of federal grants much better than many states.

This public charging station should probably use an 80 amp charger.

Just to be clear, the charging station has already been selected by Dr. Kempton's group at the University of Delaware. It is the same design they are using in their experimental Vehicle to Grid program (the University got many of the Mini-E cars from BMW when the lease program ended to use for V2G) They will definitely be 80A, there are no questions about that. Here is a quote from the installation manual, "This charging station is rated Level II, for use up to 80A continuous (the maximum current defined by SAE J1772)."

The main thing the commissioners wonder about is will there be enough electric cars to justify setting aside two metered parking spots in order to participate in this partnership with the University of Delaware. Some of them perceive EVs as rare and exotic. The mayor is averse to using tax money to "bail out" EV owners who shouldn't be driving so far that they will be stranded if they can't charge. I feel that the more of us they hear from, the more likely that the commissioners who are on the fence will be persuaded to vote yes.

Lanny

If the Rehoboth Beach commissioners are so anti-EV that they would turn down installing charging stations that are provided for free with a state grant, and the electricity is free for 2 years, then perhaps EV owners should take their vacations (and vacation dollars) elsewhere. Most tourist towns look for ways to attract business, not keep it from coming. Is Bethany Beach installing the charging stations?

Pure politics--it's difficult to be perceived as spending public money for something that mainly benefits the rich. I'm not saying I agree with it, just that the reality is that an argument like that needs to be made carefully.
Well, that's just small minded thinking. Lots of destinations are putting in chargers. The city of Lake Chelan in Central WA has put in several HA L2 chargers on their own dime to attract EV tourism, knowing full well the income level of the average EV owner. In a state that clearly tilts to the left politically, there hasn't been a single outcry. Attracting people who have more money to spend helps the local businesses which in turn helps local employment which in turn helps everyone. The economic vitality of a region is a key responsibility of elected officials.

Here is what the 75 Amp Level 2 stations will look like. Notice the pedestal version is what will probably be installed in Rehoboth Beach. These photos were taken by JCadman22 at the Delaware Welcome Center in Newark.

1.jpg
2.jpg

DEwelcomectr.png

Last edited:
Funny, I've been through the rest stop in DE umpteen times (including just yesterday) and did not know they had Level 2 stations there. Probably because 1) I've never needed them and 2) they're in the truck parking area. Glad to see they have them.

All,

Got some nice responses from a number of the Commissioners to my note above. This is apparently up for a vote on Friday, and one of the Commissioners asked if I could provide any information on the following:

Are there metro DC or similar government agencies that own and manage EV charging stations?

If so would the Commissioner would be curious about:
Names of the municipalities – Annapolis? Rockville? D.C.? Others?
What is the fee structure? One fee for charging and another for parking?
Do they have time limits so that EV owners move along after getting a full charge? How do they prevent lingering?

I confess I don't know the answers off the top of my head--anyone have any responsive info I could pass along?

All,

Got some nice responses from a number of the Commissioners to my note above. This is apparently up for a vote on Friday, and one of the Commissioners asked if I could provide any information on the following:

Are there metro DC or similar government agencies that own and manage EV charging stations?

If so would the Commissioner would be curious about:
Names of the municipalities – Annapolis? Rockville? D.C.? Others?
What is the fee structure? One fee for charging and another for parking?
Do they have time limits so that EV owners move along after getting a full charge? How do they prevent lingering?

I confess I don't know the answers off the top of my head--anyone have any responsive info I could pass along?
I can't help with the metro DC area, but the recent experience in Fredericksburg, Texas may be of interest to them as it's also a tourist destination. Fredericksburg installed two high-amp level 2 charging stations near the center of the historic area. Chargers were paid for by non-profits orgs (similar to proposal in Delaware) and installed by the city (also similar to Delaware). They charge $2.00 per hour of charging, paid using the MobileNow service (by smartphone app or cell phone call). There is no fee for parking as all parking in town is free. No time limit, and lingering hasn't been a problem so far. Busier areas would depend on EV driver courtesy. ICEing would be a much bigger concern than EV "lingering".

I wonder why they're concerned about fee structure now, as what I read in the proposal as posted by Lanny is the grant covers electricity costs for two years.

That's great news - thanks for bringing this all to our attention, so we could all send in our concerns to the commissioners. I can't wait to use these charges and I hope they get them done by winter (when I really need them ;-). I also never knew those Level 2 chargers were at the rest stop! Thanks for pointing that out!

The Delaware Cape Gazette published a very nice article about the two Tesla HPWC stations at the Hyatt Place in Dewey Beach. Lots of great quotes from the General Manager and others.

This might be an item to share with the managers of other hotels as we try to convince them of the value of installing destination charging. Here is the link.

Lanny