Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Model Y - Ohlins DFV (Performance and Grand Touring Specs) - RE-STOCKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually pick up the 2023 on Saturday - I purchased 20x10.5 +38 275/40/20 Conti Extreme Plus already sitting in the garage. I am wanting to lower the wheel gap basically and see if coil overs were still needed or a simple spring swap would suffice.
How did you do on front clearance. I run 285 35 20 with 35 offset and 12mm spacers on front and 15 mm on rear. Still need 3.5 neg on front and 2.5 on rear to get outside edge clearance with 3.5 in under front and 3.75 inch under front and rear jacking pads. Interested in your progress, thanks

I had the “bird chirp” on our ‘22 MYLR with Redwood GT Ohlins. Only the rear chirping. After I installed our winter wheel/tire setup to deal with some icy days, the squeak was gone. And after reinstalling the OEM setup, it’s still gone.
I’m wondering if fully extending the shocks by jacking up the car for the wheel changes could have somehow taken care of it?
I’m just glad it’s gone.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
the ride is more composed. there is less of the jarring / jumble and better energy absorption by the suspension.
You can hear the suspension doing it's work but not feel it thru your butt as much. And it doesn't hit the bump stops.

There's a section of the 405 freeway in West LA near Interstate 10 where my std suspension MYLR feels like it's blown a tire.
The concrete pavement section lengths create a bad harmonic in the chassis.
It was gone according to 'gadgetfreaky', the TMC user who's MYLR was the demo for me.
We rode for an hour all over most conceivable obstacles and pavement issues - manhole covers, pavement repairs, potholes, railroad tracks. Old chipseal.
We did not go out to the 405 section, but I asked him about it and I trust his answer.

If you're going to keep the stock ride height, not lower it, the Ohlins-based setup is the one to get. All the others presume lowering.
But, it's the most expensive. It shows.

Recognize however two things.
One, I know my way around suspensions, having raced Porsche for a decade and tweaked several of my street cars. So I have a calibrated ass-ometer.
Two, there's a limit to what can be achieved with the length of the MY wheelbase. There will always be some rodeway that creates issues.

Before you take a swing at messing with your MY suspension, take a Porsche Cayenne out for a test drive.
It's wheelbase is almost exactly the same as a MY. And it's presumed customer wants a refined but sporty drive.
yup, i drive this stretch about once a week. It's not butter smooth but doenst' drive me nuts like it used to. I measure smoothness by resting my head on the headrest and seeing how much it pops back and forth on it. Most of the ride on LA freeway which is 70% terrible is butter smooth. The thing is there's definitely a tradeoff for freeway smooth vs. around town, pothole, driveway, intersection dips. If I set it really soft, it's awesome on the freeway but when going slow you feel alot more of the car bouncing up and down when hitting those uneven road spots, it's not harsh, it just moves the car more. Opposite if i have it more stiff it doesn't react as much on slow moving 20mph-40mph bad road conditions, but at 80mph on the freeway my head bounces a little more. My kid was complaining in the backseat the other day when I had it stiffer that he "felt" everything so I just went supersoft this week. 25 from stiffest for front and back. I might go a week with softest, which I havne't tried since I first got it. But now after a 15k miles on it I think they are more broken in

Had mine a 5 back from softest and it was pretty good, now I have it at 0 and man what a difference, super comfy now! still handling fine, don't mind the extra lean in the corners as its not that much difference from 5 back, just way more compliant on the rough.

I almost bought the FTX GT version because of the wait but when I talked to Heath at Redwood Motorsports he was telling me that the biggest difference is noticed at the softest settings and the Ohlins he was saying will deliver much better handling when set at the softest setting with the DFV, glad I waited and playing with many settings from 17 to 0, I'm leaning to the comfort side at 0.

Last edited:
Just in time for the full summer swing...

We have another HUGE RE-STOCK off all our in-house designed suspension kits for the Model 3 & Model Y!​

We've been installing about 1-2 of these kits per day here at the Fremont facility, and recently ran clean out of inventory. Our new batch of raw shocks have now arrived and our team is building them up as we speak. All new local installs and online orders are expected to be available and start shipping the first half of July.

This applies to the following Redwood Motorsports kits:
Contact us for special TMC Member pricing deals using our website or [email protected]

Grab your kit before we sell out... again! :cool: 🏁

redwood fpspec.jpg
IMG_7756-(W2).PNGIMG_7755-(W).PNGIMG_7754-(W).PNG

Thank you for all those who purchased our FPX and FPSpec Long Stroke Ohlins kits! We still got a few kits left in stock for both the Model 3 and the Model Y. Grab your kit before they get sold out!
Contact us for special TMC Member pricing deals using our website or [email protected]

Had mine a 5 back from softest and it was pretty good, now I have it at 0 and man what a difference, super comfy now! still handling fine, don't mind the extra lean in the corners as its not that much difference from 5 back, just way more compliant on the rough.

I almost bought the FTX GT version because of the wait but when I talked to Heath at Redwood Motorsports he was telling me that the biggest difference is noticed at the softest settings and the Ohlins he was saying will deliver much better handling when set at the softest setting with the DFV, glad I waited and playing with many settings from 17 to 0, I'm leaning to the comfort side at 0.
wow,0? ok. i'm gonna try that.. now that it's well broken in, maybe i get a cadillac lol

If anyone is second guessing picking up a set of the Redwood Ohlins GT kit, do like Nike. Just Do It... Just opening the box once they get delivered is almost worth the money:D. The quality is second to none. It's almost a shame to have install them since they can't be seen, the Redwood Ohlins setup is fantastic.
I've had these installed for almost a week. While driving my normal commute, the difference in ride quality is dramatic. You still feel the road but it's nowhere near as offensive and far more planted. My wife was absolutely shocked at how much nicer our '21 MY LR rides. In stock form I always knew the ride wasn't great, but now with the Ohlins GT kit installed, adjusted and been playing with rebound/compression knobs the ride is incredible.
Looking forward to throwing on some new tires and getting an alignment. It'll be time for the wife and I to get out on a road trip😎.

• Love
Reactions: RedwoodMotors
By chance has anyone figured out approximately how much preload is recommended for the GT kit vs the installation guide on Redwoods site which is set up for the performance sport kit.

Found this from someone else. What preloads did you or your installer go for to maintain good compression.

Attached is for a Model 3 AWD recommendation.

Attachments

• IMG_5373.jpeg
    IMG_5373.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 50
By chance has anyone figured out approximately how much preload is recommended for the GT kit vs the installation guide on Redwoods site which is set up for the performance sport kit.

Found this from someone else. What preloads did you or your installer go for to maintain good compression.

Attached is for a Model 3 AWD recommendation.
My best suggestion would be to call and speak to Heath at Redwood Motorsports. Depending on what ride height and ride you'd like to have he will be able to give you a good starting point.

Reactions: Kwame
The Model Y is truly a horrible handling car in stock format. The Ohlins kit make it livable. Still heavy, too tall and no sound proofing in the car, but at least one gets a solid dampening setup this way.
handling behavior isn't so bad
ride quality is definitely less than optimal.
but all discussions of same are subjective; everyone has an opinion and few are actually knowledgeable.

My best suggestion would be to call and speak to Heath at Redwood Motorsports. Depending on what ride height and ride you'd like to have he will be able to give you a good starting point.
Thanks was finally able to get a hold of someone after a couple weeks of not hearing anything and follow ups. Looks like they are quite busy.

I can confirm the picture listed above is pretty much spot on +/- a couple mm for an AWD Model 3. Single motor needs a lot less preload in the fronts.

It seems like it would be hard to give an exact number for preload on the springs. I took RW suggestion and started there. It was close but it took me 2 more adjustments to get +/- 5-6mm on all corners evenly. I wanted to keep stock ride height so it all worked out great.

Not enough body control for me at softer settings, especially in the front. Maybe a model 3 is easier. About 5 off the stiffest all around works for me on the road I drive.
I'm on the Y.. wow 3 from stiffest, that's a no lean ride for sure, but a little rough on the railroad tracks and potholes of LA. I went softest all around, mind you my car is lowered a bit and the rear i think bottomed out too much softest. It's now 3 from softest in the rear and front. I think I'll stiffen the front just a tad more but i'm liking this soft ride. I don't drive as agressively as I did when i first got the car, i'm 95% FSD autopilot and it doesn't do crazy fast turns so leaning isn't an issue. normally you'd want front stiffer than rear right?