Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Model Y - Ohlins DFV (Performance and Grand Touring Specs) - RE-STOCKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on the Y.. wow 3 from stiffest, that's a no lean ride for sure, but a little rough on the railroad tracks and potholes of LA. I went softest all around, mind you my car is lowered a bit and the rear i think bottomed out too much softest. It's now 3 from softest in the rear and front. I think I'll stiffen the front just a tad more but i'm liking this soft ride. I don't drive as agressively as I did when i first got the car, i'm 95% FSD autopilot and it doesn't do crazy fast turns so leaning isn't an issue. normally you'd want front stiffer than rear right?
How low is your setup?

It seems like it would be hard to give an exact number for preload on the springs. I took RW suggestion and started there. It was close but it took me 2 more adjustments to get +/- 5-6mm on all corners evenly. I wanted to keep stock ride height so it all worked out great.
for the post installed adjustment. Did you just adjust the ride height or did you adjust it via preload. I can’t see adjusting the preload without compressing the springs.

for the post installed adjustment. Did you just adjust the ride height or did you adjust it via preload. I can’t see adjusting the preload without compressing the springs.
I needed to lower the ride just a bit. I decreased the preload on the springs to get it back to stock ride height. I didn't go quite enough the first try so it took a second try and I was able to get the car within 6mm of each other at each corner and stock ride height.

I needed to lower the ride just a bit. I decreased the preload on the springs to get it back to stock ride height. I didn't go quite enough the first try so it took a second try and I was able to get the car within 6mm of each other at each corner and stock ride height.
By any chance your kit came with an instruction booklet? I didn’t get one. What was the recommended free height and preload?

If you’re looking for one that’s specific to the Model Y I’m pretty sure that they never released one.
I believe the only difference from the 3 to the Y is there is no need to remove the front upper control arm mount, the 3 nuts the mount the top hat to the mount are accessible once the plastic panel under the hood is removed. All the other steps are the same.

I'm on the Y.. wow 3 from stiffest, that's a no lean ride for sure, but a little rough on the railroad tracks and potholes of LA. I went softest all around, mind you my car is lowered a bit and the rear i think bottomed out too much softest. It's now 3 from softest in the rear and front. I think I'll stiffen the front just a tad more but i'm liking this soft ride. I don't drive as agressively as I did when i first got the car, i'm 95% FSD autopilot and it doesn't do crazy fast turns so leaning isn't an issue. normally you'd want front stiffer than rear right?
Just today, I backed off to 20 in the front and 25 in the back. The ride got somewhat better and my confidence got significantly worse. THe fast I go with near full stiff, the better the ride. With others in the car, I prefer soft. With me alone, I prefer hard.

the ride is more composed. there is less of the jarring / jumble and better energy absorption by the suspension.
You can hear the suspension doing it's work but not feel it thru your butt as much. And it doesn't hit the bump stops.

There's a section of the 405 freeway in West LA near Interstate 10 where my std suspension MYLR feels like it's blown a tire.
The concrete pavement section lengths create a bad harmonic in the chassis.
It was gone according to 'gadgetfreaky', the TMC user who's MYLR was the demo for me.
We rode for an hour all over most conceivable obstacles and pavement issues - manhole covers, pavement repairs, potholes, railroad tracks. Old chipseal.
We did not go out to the 405 section, but I asked him about it and I trust his answer.

If you're going to keep the stock ride height, not lower it, the Ohlins-based setup is the one to get. All the others presume lowering.
But, it's the most expensive. It shows.

Recognize however two things.
One, I know my way around suspensions, having raced Porsche for a decade and tweaked several of my street cars. So I have a calibrated ass-ometer.
Two, there's a limit to what can be achieved with the length of the MY wheelbase. There will always be some rodeway that creates issues.

Before you take a swing at messing with your MY suspension, take a Porsche Cayenne out for a test drive.
It's wheelbase is almost exactly the same as a MY. And it's presumed customer wants a refined but sporty drive.

I used to live in the same area. West LA, off 405 and Santa Monica blvd lol. that section's road condition is horrible lol.

I actually pick up the 2023 on Saturday - I purchased 20x10.5 +38 275/40/20 Conti Extreme Plus already sitting in the garage. I am wanting to lower the wheel gap basically and see if coil overs were still needed or a simple spring swap would suffice.
Hi,

Did you happen to install a Redwood suspension on your 23' YP? If so, what kit did you get? I have about 14k on my YP and I'm very close to pulling the trigger... leaning towards the sport/performance set.

Thanks..

The Ohlins RT are FIRM. Seriously, they're made for the track a bit more than the street.

The Sport is maybe a bit less.

The GT is what most people will want.

I also like the idea of Redwood's long suspension. I might have gone there with some stiffer springs and such, but I was dying on stock suspension so I took what I could when I could, and I've been happy with my decision.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
The Ohlins RT are FIRM. Seriously, they're made for the track a bit more than the street.

The Sport is maybe a bit less.

The GT is what most people will want.

I also like the idea of Redwood's long suspension. I might have gone there with some stiffer springs and such, but I was dying on stock suspension so I took what I could when I could, and I've been happy with my decision.

Exactly this! Need to have some form of expectations and commit to the RT's. I love 'em! Most generally won't based on current Tesla driver sentiments.

Decided to purchase the redwood sport performance although I am a bit anxious about it since there isn’t much info from Y owners who have this specific setup. Redwood ensures me handling will be significantly improved along with improved ride quality. I’m justifying purchase by considering how much $$$ I’d lose moving to a X or IX. I suppose I am cautiously optimistic. Will report back after install….