Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red lines vs blue lines in visualization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 10.5 (2021.36.8.8) in my MYLR and I notice that sometimes I have the red lined roads that I associate with the newer software and sometimes the blue lines like before I got into the beta. What’s the logic on when it’s red vs blue?

I have 10.5 (2021.36.8.8) in my MYLR and I notice that sometimes I have the red lined roads that I associate with the newer software and sometimes the blue lines like before I got into the beta. What’s the logic on when it’s red vs blue?
It's hard to be sure from your description, but I believe you are seeing the normal visualization on highways and the red lines are the FSD Beta visualization, but you only get that on non-highway portions of drives.

Have you all noticed that sometimes the cars are blue in the FSD visuals? I’m wondering what that signifies. Maybe it’s like the old AP1 where the blue vehicle means that you are yielding to or controlling off of the blue car(s).

Have you all noticed that sometimes the cars are blue in the FSD visuals? I’m wondering what that signifies. Maybe it’s like the old AP1 where the blue vehicle means that you are yielding to or controlling off of the blue car(s).
If a vehicle turns blue in the visualization it means that this vehicle is in or will be in the direct path that your vehicle is planning to take. It will return to it's normal shade of gray once it passes.

For both OP and above recommend you check out this write-up I borrowed from another thread. Can't recall who gets credit for the find.

I agree with @joelliot. You were seeing the red road boundaries when using FSD beta on city streets, and you're seeing the blue lane markers when using FSD beta on highways/freeways. It's basically the old Autopilot, except now it's vision only.

It's hard to be sure from your description, but I believe you are seeing the normal visualization on highways and the red lines are the FSD Beta visualization, but you only get that on non-highway portions of drives.
I understand what you’re suggesting, that I’m seeing the freeway stack (blue) and the city streets stack (red). I’m saying that I’m seeing red most of the time on both highway and city, but I will occasionally be blue in both environments. Wondering why this is.

If a vehicle turns blue in the visualization it means that this vehicle is in or will be in the direct path that your vehicle is planning to take. It will return to it's normal shade of gray once it passes.

For both OP and above recommend you check out this write-up I borrowed from another thread. Can't recall who gets credit for the find.

Thanks for explaining the blue cars, and for the more comprehensive link. Only been on the FSD Beta for about two days, I had first interpreted the blue to be the cars it thinks arrived first at a four-way (or similar) stop, and therefore it would allow to go first. But then I saw it didn't always wait for all the blue cars to go first before proceeding, so obviously was the wrong interpretation....

I understand what you’re suggesting, that I’m seeing the freeway stack (blue) and the city streets stack (red). I’m saying that I’m seeing red most of the time on both highway and city, but I will occasionally be blue in both environments. Wondering why this is.
Here are two shots of freeway driving. One on “old stack” (plain old AP?) and one that’s 10.5. In the latter case (at night) I started out blue and it just transitioned over to 10.5.

Anyone know why it’s switching back and forth like this?

Attachments

• BA3D4618-902E-4D3A-B61C-204ECD918374.jpeg
    BA3D4618-902E-4D3A-B61C-204ECD918374.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 137
  • E1376094-7529-4154-9488-20DC94D772B6.jpeg
    E1376094-7529-4154-9488-20DC94D772B6.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 1E3CA128-C5E6-471F-B9BE-A88BE26DD6B3.jpeg
    1E3CA128-C5E6-471F-B9BE-A88BE26DD6B3.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 61
Could it be GPS error and it thinks you are on what looks to be frontage road (or an extended exit lane?) or is there new construction in the area that may be confusing whatever system selects which stack to be running?

Anyone know why it’s switching back and forth like this?
The first 2 pictures are the same, but assuming both should have shown the usual non-FSD Autosteer visualizations, that's basically indicating FSD Beta is not handling that segment of road and the production software is driving instead. FSD Beta currently switches back to that software on what it believes is a freeway/interstate that is better handled by normal Navigate on Autopilot. Did NoA normally not work in those areas with messages of "unsupported" or temporarily turning off?

Some highways do switch between controlled-access and not (allowing intersection). Some highways are also pretty complex such as those going through Seattle downtown with many lanes and complicated on/off-ramps. I've noticed around here that FSD Beta stays visualized for a little bit after completing an on-ramp, so potentially FSD Beta incorrectly thinks you're not on the "easy" part of the highway.

Eventually this should stop happening with FSD Beta handling all highway driving. Clearly as you've experienced, FSD Beta can already handle some highway driving, so it's probably pretty close.