Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Light/Stop Sign...Autopilot (No FSD)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

MY Newbie here and was hoping you can advise. I have Auto-Steer (Beta) Turned on along with Visualization. Adaptive cruise and auto steer work fine but it does not stop at Red-Light and Stop Sign. For some reason I thought AutoPilot included these features. Or is it just a part of FSD? I’m on the latest software version: 2020.32.3

Thank you!

Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

Autopilot
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: Matches the speed of your car to that of the surrounding traffic
  • Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control
Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot (Beta): Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch
  • Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key
  • Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot.
  • Traffic and Stop Sign Control (Beta): Identifies stop signs and traffic lights and automatically slows your car to a stop on approach, with your active supervision
  • Upcoming:
    • Autosteer on city streets

Reactions: J-HevA
...part of FSD...

If you can look up the manual, Autopilot is only designed for a "controlled access road" or "limited-access roads" or freeways with no traffic lights.

Since it's designed to work on freeways with no traffic lights, there's no need to provide the "Controlled Traffic Lights and Signals" feature for those who don't pay for FSD.

Can you use the cruise control as 'normal', or does it only work in 'Traffic Aware' mode?

Nowadays, all Tesla listed on its web site have a minimum of Autopilot so when you activate the "cruise", it's TACC, not just a simple cruise.

However, if you manage to buy "off-menu" a $35,000 Short Range Model 3, it comes without any Autopilot so if you activate its cruise, it's a simple cruise, not TACC.

Thank you....it looks like I might pay the $8k to upgrade. Most of my driving these days is local roads vs highway and while I love autopilot...getting annoying to disengage and re-engage at every light...unless I’m behind someone...

Thank you....it looks like I might pay the $8k to upgrade. Most of my driving these days is local roads vs highway and while I love autopilot...getting annoying to disengage and re-engage at every light...unless I’m behind someone...

If Elon's comment on Twitter that FSD is about to see a quantum leap in capability, now is the time to drop the $8K for FSD before it goes up. It's risen steadily since it first came out.

I would have used that money to buy stock instead... Let's see $275 a share back then on reveal day (before the 5:1 split), worth about $1000 per share at the time when my MY was delivered (also before the split), so my $2500 would have been worth $9000 say, so a profit of $6500, almost enough to pay for FSD...

I would have used that money to buy stock instead... Let's see $275 a share back then on reveal day (before the 5:1 split), worth about $1000 per share at the time when my MY was delivered (also before the split), so my $2500 would have been worth $9000 say, so a profit of $6500, almost enough to pay for FSD...
hindsight is 20/20 :). I got in a year ago... so... The Y is fully funded :)

What's the upside to a "normal" cruise control that you don't get in TACC?

Or why wouldn't you use TACC as cruise control?
No speed limit. TACC is limited to 85,mph (used to be 90mph). Not sure if there are any other upsides.

I suppose its more peaceful if you're doing a few lane changes. TACC bings and bongs when you disable/reenable it. For some reason fails to do what every other auto manufacturer does with L2 cruise going all the way back to at least 2010 (my old Prius). Most cars auto-disable lane keeping when you put on a blinker, then after you're done changing lanes and turn the blinker off, L2 cruise auto resumes with no bings/bongs. In a Tesla with standard AP, you have to disengage TACC manually, change lanes, then manually re-engage TACC (each step brings its own bing/bong). Wakes people up if you're on a long road trip and that keeps happeneing.