Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Light/License Plate Deterrent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not that simple though... There is no consistency from place to place as to "when" the camera decides you broke the law and snaps your picture... Red light cameras are unconstitutional anyhow and I don't think you're going to see them around much longer...

Jeff
while I agree with your view on the constitutionality of the enforcement by camera I believe that there have been precedent setting rulings permitting the use of the camera to assess fines for violations.
FWIW: Jacksonville FLA, which is near to me is taking down all their cameras, the reason given for their abandoning the cameras was quite cryptic but I think centered around possible legal challenges that they just didn't want to deal with.
Some localities have banned the usage of cameras as well.
to me a larger issues is some places use cameras for speed enforcement, which brings into play even more legal questions.

while I agree with your view on the constitutionality of the enforcement by camera I believe that there have been precedent setting rulings permitting the use of the camera to assess fines for violations.
FWIW: Jacksonville FLA, which is near to me is taking down all their cameras, the reason given for their abandoning the cameras was quite cryptic but I think centered around possible legal challenges that they just didn't want to deal with.
Some localities have banned the usage of cameras as well.
to me a larger issues is some places use cameras for speed enforcement, which brings into play even more legal questions.

The issue certainly is muddy, no doubt...

Cameras for speed enforcement are absolutely unconstitutional in every possible way and those are the ones that really get under my skin...

Jeff

Constitutionality is complicated. Some areas make red/speed light camera tickets regular moving violations, same as if a cop issued it. Many consider these problematic, as Constitution require the ability to "confront the accuser". This is still an open question. I'm not aware of any scotus ruling on it.

However, many jurisdictions, like here in NY, treat these tickets as civil penalties, equivalent to a parking ticket. In this case, there's clearly no prohibition, as protections in the case of civil law are much less than for criminal. These tickets are clearly acceptable under us Constitution.

To add more complications, some state constitutions and laws are broader, so some things that are OK under federal law may not be in some states.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan