Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recreating the NY Times Road Trip - Feb 15-17, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
John

Shall we organize this NYTimes debunking trip?

My only concern is the 4 supercharger max at both Newark, DE and the Northbound & Southbound stations in Milford. But there's nothing stopping us from waiting for a second set of people to charge - so I think we can comfortably support 8 people in this caravan...

Aaron

John

Shall we organize this NYTimes debunking trip?

My only concern is the 4 supercharger max at both Newark, DE and the Northbound & Southbound stations in Milford. But there's nothing stopping us from waiting for a second set of people to charge - so I think we can comfortably support 8 people in this caravan...

Aaron

I think limiting the size of the group would be smart, maybe to 4 vehicles or two groups of 4 each documenting their experience separately. Maybe one group takes it easy and the other one drives at the posted speed limit. That way, you don't add an hour to your trip log waiting for the other people to do a range charge making it seem like the trip took longer than it did.
Excited about this project. Good luck to you guys.

Anyone interested in recreating the NYT's road trip, minus the detour? I imagine several owners have already made similar trips along I-95, but how about some Coffee and Eggs at Butch's and a group photo to show Tesla our support? I think it would be fun, and vindicating.

Anyone interested?

great idea. we have to really market it, too. maybe do a 3 minute YouTube video about it and everyone paste the link EVERYWHERE. maybe whoever did that Gallons of Light video can spear-head this up!

lets fight this sh*t....

Since there aren't enough stations to do a huge number of cars at one time, what about having a stream of cars do the trip. We could sign up for time slots and just rerun the trip back-to-back-to-back over a weekend? That would be pretty epic.

Since there aren't enough stations to do a huge number of cars at one time, what about having a stream of cars do the trip. We could sign up for time slots and just rerun the trip back-to-back-to-back over a weekend? That would be pretty epic.

That's the best way. One car making it doesn't 'debunk' the allegations...you know the response - "Guy got lucky." But if a number of cars do it, they can't say all those people got lucky. With the limited chargers, doing it in waves is the best.

Guys -

Just a thought.... we could also have a "team" of guys in the NY/CT/NJ area start in CT where the reporter started and head south and another "team" start in DC and do the northbound trip. Then back to our respective homes afterwards.

Maybe meet up in the middle somewhere on the NJ turnpike to meet and have a quick bite....

Aaron

------------------------ Updated

PS - I have a contact from the Tesla Motors Marketing Department I met at the Motor Trend announcement I attended in NYC. I just sent her the following email:

------------------------

Hello Kristin,

I met you briefly at the Motor Trend announcement in NYC this past fall. Since then I've taken delivery of my Model S and am of course, thrilled!

I'm quite active on the Tesla Motors Club forums and a thread was started about recreating the DC to CT road trip taken recently by the reporter at the NY Times. All of us are quite unhappy about the article and someone suggested if some East Coast owners could attempt the trip and prove this can be done in cold weather.

I thought it might be good to reach out to you and discuss this possible endeavor and see what (possible) role Tesla Motors might like to take -- even if it is as simple as monitoring the logs of some of our cars or possibly more.

What are your thoughts? This might be a great opportunity to put the facts on the table and prove that actual owners of the Model S can accomplish this trip quite well -- and without worry. Please feel free to give me a call on my cell or email me at your convenience.

Thanks Kristin!

Last edited:
Thank you guys that are taking this on. If something similar happens in Minnesota or Wisconsin Ill be right there:)
One note, time is very important here. The sooner, the better as long as we can get it properly organized. The longer the delay the more the naysayers will be claiming, 'it took a rocket scientist (Musk), x days or x weeks to figure out how to make the trip successfully'.