Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations sought re: charging networks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a tesla owner here in the US heading to Aus to visit family. We are renting a Y. We'll be spending most of time between Port Macquarie and Melbourne peninsula.
Outside of the supercharger network, what fast charge networks do you recommend I set up access for?

Evie & Chargefox, together with superchargers, would cover most of you needs indeed. For completeness, on my road trips, I have sometimes started using BP Pulse & AmpCharge as these networks have started building up in the last year.

Could you post your experiences here in downloading these apps on the US App Store (if you’re an iPhone user) & adding a credit card payment option? Many of us have been wondering what the experience is like for someone from a non-Australian App Store point of view, eg. are the apps even available to you?

I'm a tesla owner here in the US heading to Aus to visit family. We are renting a Y. We'll be spending most of time between Port Macquarie and Melbourne peninsula. Outside of the supercharger network, what fast charge networks do you recommend I set up access for?

I agree with the others - Evie and Chargefox are the ones to sign up for. You are probably aware, but Tesla uses CCS2 here, and so Teslas can plug into any third-party fast charging network without needing an adaptor.

Evie runs its own network and is responsible for maintaining the hardware. Evie has more than double the number of sites that Tesla has (201 sites/463 plugs for Evie vs. 89 sites/506 plugs for Tesla) but Tesla has more plugs per site than Evie. Evie’s reliability has improved a lot over the past year, but their site at Taree (which is about an hour’s drive south of Port Macquarie) has had regular problems. So always check their App &/or Plugshare before travelling to see if a particular site is working.

Chargefox has only a small number of its own fast charging sites, but provides the backend billing and session management for a number of other networks, including motoring organisations such as NRMA (in fact Chargefox is now owned by Australian Motoring Services - which in turn is owned by Australia‘s 6 motoring organisations). So the “branding” on Chargefox is more confused - they will plaster their logo on a site even if they don’t own it - and infuriatingly NRMA sites do not appear in the Chargefox App 🤦‍♂️

I suggest you look at Plugshare and filter by “Tesla (Fast)” and “CCS/SAE” plug types to see what fast chargers are located in or near locations you might stop at or spend any time in. For overnight AC charging, filter by “Tesla” and “Type 2” plug types.

Enjoy your trip!

Out of curiosity, do hire cars come with a UmC so travellers can slow charge overnight at their destinations?

I wonder if that is an optional extra that can be included in the hire, like a baby seat (ohh lets not go there haha!)

do hire cars come with a UmC so travellers can slow charge overnight at their destinations?

EVEE (not Evie) the car rental business includes a mobile charger with the rentals - it may not be a Tesla UMC for a Tesla rental as they call it a "level 1 charger".
The problem will be 1) a GPO close enough to the car and 2) permission from GPO owner.
Good for Airbnb situations though where there is a lock up garage.

We'll be spending most of time between Port Macquarie and Melbourne peninsula.
The Australian supercharger network is not as well developed compared to the US. There can be congestion at superchargers depending on the day - holiday periods especially between Sydney and Port Macquarie. Otherwise you wont have problems even if you stick to Superchargers.

I do agree with Evie and Chargefox as non Tesla fast charging options
I would also add AmpCharge (Dc fast chargers at certain Ampol gas stations) - typically in Sydney and Melbourne

Plugshare App will list all the available chargers along a route
Note also that Chargefox does not own any charging sites - they manage chargers for other providers.

Last edited:
Chargefox has only a small number of its own fast charging sites, but provides the backend billing and session management for a number of other networks, including motoring organisations such as NRMA (in fact Chargefox is now owned by Australian Motoring Services - which in turn is owned by Australia‘s 6 motoring organisations).
Chargefox no longer has its own fast charging sites. They flogged them all off to their parent company's member organisations mid last year. Every single site in the Chargefox app is owned by someone else.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
Out of curiosity, do hire cars come with a UmC so travellers can slow charge overnight at their destinations?

Which reminds me of another thing the OP should ask - not only does a UMC come with the car, but does a Type 2 - Type 2 cable come with the car (or is available as a rental option)?

@MacGreiner - AC chargers here are not always tethered. A lot are (Tesla destination chargers always are) - but a lot aren’t. This might be a foreign concept, because I understand in the USA “BYO Cable” is simply not a thing, since AC chargers in the USA are tethered (because Type 1 doesn’t support BYO cable). Something to be aware of.

Type 2 - Type 2 cables aren’t cheap so it wouldn’t be economic to buy one just for your trip.

Reactions: dronus
@MacGreiner - AC chargers here are not always tethered. A lot are (Tesla destination chargers always are) - but a lot aren’t. This might be a foreign concept, because I understand in the USA “BYO Cable” is simply not a thing, since AC chargers in the USA are tethered (because Type 1 doesn’t support BYO cable). Something to be aware of.
I've seen the BYO cable thing in an Out of Spec youtube video before. Helped me to understand the import of that feature when it was incorporated into the J3400 standard for use in urban environments.

Reactions: Vostok
I'm a tesla owner here in the US heading to Aus to visit family. We are renting a Y. We'll be spending most of time between Port Macquarie and Melbourne peninsula.
Outside of the supercharger network, what fast charge networks do you recommend I set up access for?
Please check with your rental car provider - some already include charging arrangements, and you could check with them as to which network(s) are included with your rental arrangement.

Evie & Chargefox, together with superchargers, would cover most of you needs indeed. For completeness, on my road trips, I have sometimes started using BP Pulse & AmpCharge as these networks have started building up in the last year.

Could you post your experiences here in downloading these apps on the US App Store (if you’re an iPhone user) & adding a credit card payment option? Many of us have been wondering what the experience is like for someone from a non-Australian App Store point of view, eg. are the apps even available to you?
I was able to access both on the US App Store. Able to register using my US address and credit card. I'll report back if there are any hitches when it comes to accepting payment.

I agree with the others - Evie and Chargefox are the ones to sign up for. You are probably aware, but Tesla uses CCS2 here, and so Teslas can plug into any third-party fast charging network without needing an adaptor.

Evie runs its own network and is responsible for maintaining the hardware. Evie has more than double the number of sites that Tesla has (201 sites/463 plugs for Evie vs. 89 sites/506 plugs for Tesla) but Tesla has more plugs per site than Evie. Evie’s reliability has improved a lot over the past year, but their site at Taree (which is about an hour’s drive south of Port Macquarie) has had regular problems. So always check their App &/or Plugshare before travelling to see if a particular site is working.

Chargefox has only a small number of its own fast charging sites, but provides the backend billing and session management for a number of other networks, including motoring organisations such as NRMA (in fact Chargefox is now owned by Australian Motoring Services - which in turn is owned by Australia‘s 6 motoring organisations). So the “branding” on Chargefox is more confused - they will plaster their logo on a site even if they don’t own it - and infuriatingly NRMA sites do not appear in the Chargefox App 🤦‍♂️

I suggest you look at Plugshare and filter by “Tesla (Fast)” and “CCS/SAE” plug types to see what fast chargers are located in or near locations you might stop at or spend any time in. For overnight AC charging, filter by “Tesla” and “Type 2” plug types.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for taking the time for the thoughtful response!

Reactions: Zinzilla and dronus
Which reminds me of another thing the OP should ask - not only does a UMC come with the car, but does a Type 2 - Type 2 cable come with the car (or is available as a rental option)?

Type 2 - Type 2 cables aren’t cheap so it wouldn’t be economic to buy one just for your trip.
Thanks for this. It is a Turo rental not a legacy rental so I'll be sure the ask the owner. Does the lvl1/Lvl2 AC charger that normally comes with the vehicle plug straight into 240v like they do here to 100v? And does it do both lvl1 and 2 there? Cheers!

Thanks for this. It is a Turo rental not a legacy rental so I'll be sure the ask the owner. Does the lvl1/Lvl2 AC charger that normally comes with the vehicle plug straight into 240v like they do here to 100v? And does it do both lvl1 and 2 there? Cheers!

You’re welcome 😄. Yes, the UMC should come with at least two tails that plug into standard 240V sockets. 10A is the most common socket, 15A sockets are sometimes found in home garages, caravan parks, car parks, businesses. They are easily identified by the taller earth pin at the bottom. A 15A plug won’t fit into a 10A socket.

Charging at 15A 240V is a healthy 3.6 kW, about 21 km of range per hour. The UMCs supplied here are single phase and support charging up to 7.6 kW with a third-party tail (32A). Many public AC chargers are 3-phase that support charging up to 22 kW, although Model 3/Y max out at 11 kW AC.

We don’t have a “Level 1/Level 2” charging distinction here, although sometimes the terminology is incorrectly used when people have only read US sources of information. It’s just called AC charging.

Oh, and the Superchargers here have two charging cables (a la Europe).
When you pull up to your first Oz supercharger, you will stare at them just like a first time owner here, and try to figure out which to use.
You want the the bulkier looking one.

Oh, and the Superchargers here have two charging cables (a la Europe).
When you pull up to your first Oz supercharger, you will stare at them just like a first time owner here, and try to figure out which to use. You want the the bulkier looking one.

Only the older superchargers are like that. All newer V3 superchargers are single cable, CCS2 only.

Reactions: Jules22