Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad experience charging non-Tesla in Germany

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a recent trip in Germany I was driving a rented Audi Q8 e-tron. As a very long time Tesla owner I assumed that accessing the non-Tesla accessible superchargers would be easy, but I was wrong. The guidance from the relevant Tesla site (https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging) said "If you also own a Tesla, go to your profile in your Tesla app and swipe to find ‘Charge Your Non-Tesla.’" but I could not find anything close. I was only able to charge after deleting my app and downloading a new version and setting up a new account. Later, I was able to delete the new app and restore the old. I guess it's possible that I missed something that was there on the app, but it certainly wasn't obvious or easy.

The large e-tron felt sluggish relative to our Y and (of course) perf 3, but was very solid at high (190 km/h) autobahn speeds.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
On a recent trip in Germany I was driving a rented Audi Q8 e-tron. As a very long time Tesla owner I assumed that accessing the non-Tesla accessible superchargers would be easy, but I was wrong. The guidance from the relevant Tesla site (https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging) said "If you also own a Tesla, go to your profile in your Tesla app and swipe to find ‘Charge Your Non-Tesla.’" but I could not find anything close. I was only able to charge after deleting my app and downloading a new version and setting up a new account. Later, I was able to delete the new app and restore the old. I guess it's possible that I missed something that was there on the app, but it certainly wasn't obvious or easy.

The large e-tron felt sluggish relative to our Y and (of course) perf 3, but was very solid at high (190 km/h) autobahn speeds.

It's possible that you were still using the older version of Tesla App that has no option for "Charge Your Non-Tesla." You need Tesla App version 4.18.0 or higher and that's what you got when you deleted your app and installed another one.

Awesome info !! I had no idea there was a charge non Tesla in the app; I'm planning on a German trip next March and have a Model 3 on reserve but Sixt tells me there is no guarantee that the 3 will be available. Damn !! So was trying to figure out what 3rd party crap apps I needed to download. Turns out I don't need any !!