Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range on the “Standard Range” Model S adjusted downward?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
27042E16-9680-43AA-8B1A-43B316D7B001.png

Sure seems like I recall the Standard Range Model S rated at 310 miles. This was just after the 75 was discontinued. Has it been reduced further to 270 miles?

After 75D was discontinued, Tesla rebranded the 100D into a software locked “Model S” with 310 miles with optional Extended Range upgrade for 335 miles, and the P100D into a “Model S Performance” with 315 miles with optional Ludicrous Mode upgrade. Then more recently, Tesla introduced a new “Model S Standard Range” with 270 miles and rebranded 100D to be “Model S Long Range” with 335 miles. We don’t know whether the new standard range is a software locked 100D or perhaps they brought back the 85D which had the same 270 mile range.

While it was available the “Model S” with 310 miles range was $85k and with 335 mile extended range upgrade was $93k. Now “Model S Standard Range” with 270 miles range is $79k and the “Model S Long Range” with 335 miles is $83k. Current Model S Long Range is by far the best value I think. It’s literally the 100D with a new name but for $17000 less.

• Informative
Reactions: LCR1 and BozieBeMe2
I found Long Range existing inventory but didn't want or need the range during end of the quarter. I wasn't going to buy it unless I could change it. It was a long process, but they DID remove the $4K line item and turn the exact same car into a Standard range. At least for this car, that meant it was the exact same battery pack. The bigger question was if I could upgrade it to a Long range in the future and can't really get a straight answer now. It was an EXTREME hassle and a LOT of mis communication just to have it removed ranging from you can do it, we do it, well we use to but now we don't, it's not technically possible, it is technically possible, if you do it now you may not to change it in future, etc...It's an expensive car and a long-term investment. Would love to just now what my options are, especially since I know it can be done.