Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive had my SR+ for a month now. Done 1500 miles. Looking at my smart meter consumption over that period and adding the public charging consumption, i reckon i have used 620kwh.

This works out at 413 Wh/mile!! With a 50kwh battery, that works out at a range of 120miles on a full charge! Thats a long way off 250miles advertised!

Yes, i am using Sentry mode constantly but i reckon that has cost me 95kwh over the period. Taking this into account, i reckon that a full charge is taking me 145miles. Still way short of the 254mile WLTP figure.

Does this match other users real life experience?

By the way, I love the car in every other way!

Ive had my SR+ for a month now. Done 1500 miles. Looking at my smart meter consumption over that period and adding the public charging consumption, i reckon i have used 620kwh.

This works out at 413 Wh/mile!! With a 50kwh battery, that works out at a range of 120miles on a full charge! Thats a long way off 250miles advertised!

Yes, i am using Sentry mode constantly but i reckon that has cost me 95kwh over the period. Taking this into account, i reckon that a full charge is taking me 145miles. Still way short of the 254mile WLTP figure.

Not sure how accurate the cars wh/m is but had mine just under the month and slightly more miles. I haven't reset one of the trips, this shows an average of about 255Wh/m.

There are many numbers to measure the energy used by the car. The number the car gives you does not factor in energy lost in the battery. That is the difference between what you put in and what you pull out, battery losses. The car does give you the number for energy put into the battery when you charge. Then there is the energy lost in the AD/DC converter if charging from AC. That is something you need to be aware of too since it sounds like the energy supplied to the car is what you are measuring.

Do the various energy losses matter, YES! It can make a huge difference in range when driving locally. Everyone talks about how it is cheaper to charge than to use gasoline, but that is only true if you ignore the extra losses in the winter and the various vampire losses like Sentry. In the real world it is always ABC, Always Be Charging.

I have also done about 1500 miles in LR M3. Haven’t check my overall economy but did do a 200 mile drive with a little over 10% left. I’m suspecting my new enjoyment of preconditioning defrosting will hit the e consumption significantly but what a joy to get into a car that’s not freezing and no need to scrape windows!

Go with this thought:

Ignore the numbers for a second -

have you got to where you were going on each drive?
Have you found yourself needing to charge in any sub 10% battery situations on a drive?
Have you taken any longer time to get to where your going that you did before?
Have you enjoyed driving the car?

I have an SR+, i switched the battery to % in the car, I charge when I need to charge and I drive when I need to drive. Had the car 3 months, and so far, no issues getting to where I want to go, when I want to be there (I do 200 miles a day some days seeing clients)

Stopped for a coffee yesterday as I was early to see a client - drank my coffee, sat on charge in public car park, cost me nothing, didn't cost me any time.

Ignore the numbers, bet you never bothered with MPG on your previous car? You just filled up and drove it. Do the same with your Model 3 - fill it up when you need to and drive it.

Forget about the numbers..................

If your using sentry mode constantly then that’s going to be the reason.

Not sure how accurate the cars wh/m is but had mine just under the month and slightly more miles. I haven't reset one of the trips, this shows an average of about 255Wh/m.

That only measures what you're pulling from the battery, only while moving.

Charging Losses, Battery Heating, Preconditioning Cabin, Applications Waking Car, Phantom Drain, Sentry, Cabin Overheat, Summon Standby are all not included in that number.

You need to measure what comes out of your wall outlet to measure the true wh/mi, which is what the OP did.

That only measures what you're pulling from the battery, only while moving.

Charging Losses, Battery Heating, Preconditioning Cabin, Applications Waking Car, Phantom Drain, Sentry, Cabin Overheat, Summon Standby are all not included in that number.

You need to measure what comes out of your wall outlet to measure the true wh/mi, which is what the OP did.
You are right of course but the wh/m figures that get quoted for the car don't take into account many of those things. so if you see a WLTP or EPA or any other range you are never going to match that looking at the consumption from the meter in the house. Especially in the winter. It's actually a totally valid and interesting thing to do but I am not sure what the expectation should be there are too many variables for anyone to really publish a figure especially taking into account Sentry and winter.

Trying to guess the energy used by the car from a smart meter display is akin to trying to predict the future by looking at tea leaves, as the smart meter has no way of knowing how much energy the car is using. I have an identical system (as far as energy monitoring is concerned) to a smart meter, with an indoor display that is the same accuracy class as a meter. It's hopeless at trying to determine how much any particular appliance is using, or the car for that matter. I do have an energy meter on the feed to the charge point (cheap and easy to do, only about £30) and that does give an accurate measurement of the energy used when charging.

If a charge point installation has it's own small CU, fed by a set of tails with an isolator switch, then it's maybe ten to fifteen minutes work to install a meter like one of these: Wall Mounted Single Phase Electric Meters by Electric Meter Sales UK

If there's space inside the additional CU for a DIN rail meter, then one of these can be installed just as quickly and easily: DIN Rail Meter - Single Phase DZT-6054 - Electric Meter Sales

I've no connection to this company, other than as a customer.

Either will be a lot more accurate when measuring the energy used in charging the car then trying to guesstimate from a metering system that's measuring the whole house.

Pre heating, sentry and cold/wet weather will all contribute to more consumption! If you want a better breakdown of whats using what why not try TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X 3 Data Logger Its free for 2 weeks or a month if you use a refferal code.

From my experience, you get better overall efficiency on longer trips. My typical day is a couple of 20-25 mile trips, then a couple of 5 miles trips. This combined with sentry can get really bad efficiency. In comparison, if I get on the motorway and drive all day, you can see the average consumption fall the further I go. I think in the winter, there is a lot of energy lost in warming up the car and battery, so a longer, constant trip is just maintaining the temperature of both.

I've also noticed the wh/mile improves after a supercharger stop. Again, this is probably due to the battery being warmer. If your Model 3 is your first electric car, I think you'll be surprised at how much more range you get in the summer. In my old Leaf, I would knock roughly a quarter off it's summer range during the winter. On a 25 degree + day, they range (with careful driving) was exceeding the advertised range.

Reactions: tess19
The post is titled "Range issues". Did you not have range to go somewhere?

that works out at a range of 120miles on a full charge

No it really doesn't. Do you count the energy you use to make that cup of tea in a flask with you? You could boil the kettle with your car...

Same thing, you don't go on a 240 mile journey by stopping every 20 miles and having sentry mode for 3 hours.

If you want to go somewhere with full range, charge up, pay the departure tax and go. You will find you will have less than 300 Wh/Mile in winter for trips over 30 miles.

Do you have smart meter consumption for your washing machine? How many Wh/washed socks do you get?

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
The post is titled "Range issues". Did you not have range to go somewhere?

No it really doesn't. Do you count the energy you use to make that cup of tea in a flask with you? You could boil the kettle with your car...

Same thing, you don't go on a 240 mile journey by stopping every 20 miles and having sentry mode for 3 hours.

If you want to go somewhere with full range, charge up, pay the departure tax and go. You will find you will have less than 300 Wh/Mile in winter for trips over 30 miles.

Do you have smart meter consumption for your washing machine? How many Wh/washed socks do you get?
I have been doing quite a few 100 mile + trips in an LR and have not yet managed to average over 290wh/m for a full journey yet even in the cold weather ( mainly fast A roads, lots of hills, average speed for the full trip 50mph, plenty of rain) and I have really been trying quite hard :D